Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

San Diego To-Do List?

I have seen others start these threads with good success so I figured I would ask for help.

My wife and I are taking a trip out to San Diego from the 6-13 of April. So far all we have set on the agenda is a game at PETCO on the 8th, checking out the SDSU campus(for me) on the 7th, and heading to look at Long Beach State(for her) on the 10th. The weekend will be spent in El Centro and the desert, unfortunately, as that is where her mother lives.

We are looking for ideas on good places to eat, drink and other must see places for the week we are in the San Diego area. Any help and ideas would be appreciated. Also what would be the best area of town to stay in that would be a good mix of cost effective and centrally located to most of the fun areas. We have heard Downtown isn't bad or Old Town(I think).

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: San Diego To-Do List?

Friend of mine from San Diego swears by Pizza Port.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I really enjoyed touring the aircraft carrier there.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

I went to San Diego for a week once. It was like 4 years ago so perhaps things are different now. Here's what we did:

-Zoo. My wife is a big zoo fan, but it really is world class. There are Koalas, Pandas, and the grounds are just gorgeous. There are other neat things to see in Balboa park. I could spend all day there
    -Old Town for Mexican Food and some shops. As far as food goes, one place is particularly more busy than the other, but I thought both were pretty dang good.
    -City tour of San Diego. It was on a bus. It was cool because you got a history of the city and saw all of the different neighborhoods. It helped give us an idea of what to do and what we'd want to check out later
    - There are some cool (but a little spendy) restaurants to eat in Downtown on the Bay. In the evening was kind of cool because we'd see landings on the Air Craft Carrier. I can't remember where we went, but it was seafood and right across from the carrier. There's also a Hilton in downtown which is supposed to have a bar at the top floor with some cool views. We didn't check it out, and I'm sure it's expensive, but it might be worth it to check out.
    - Seaworld. I think it was overrated but it's something to do to kill time
    -Whale Watching. I'm not sure when it ends (probably soon), but we went out and saw some Whales during their migration. It was amazing. He saw one breach and splash and was really lucky. The key was we went out on a little boat far as hell away from everything. I know of some people that went out on the bigger ocean liners and didn't see ****. I think it wraps up soon, but it might be worth it to check out as it was a highlight of the trip. If it's basically done, people will still take your money to show you but you may be dissapointed.
    -Seaport Village. Big touristy shopping place. Everyone is like "you gotta go there" and to me it just feels like an outdoor mall/tourist trap. I know some that love going there. I think it's hit or miss.

As far as staying places, just go on expedia and go with your budget. We stayed like 10 miles away from downtown, didn't have a car, and was able to do everything with no issues (other than taking a taxi to Seaworld. We weren't old enough to rent a car). Even though San Diego has a lot of people, land-area wise it isn't too huge to get around. Mission Beach area is a popular place to stay, and there are nice places (but probably expensive) in downtown. We stayed at practically on the other side of the bay and was fine.

One last tip: the weather kind of varies in San Diego. I mean it's like 65-75 everyday but how it feels depends on where you're at. If you're staying closer to the water, it's going to feel kind of cool. If you head out to Balboa Park, it's going to feel warmer. The only reason why this is a big deal, is because it teeters on that shorts vs. long pants, or t-shirt vs. long sleeves, area. Doesn't hurt to bring a sweatshirt or jacket.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Gaslamp District (which is where PETCO is) is great. Tons of shops, bars and restaurants. RA is a great choice for sushi if you are into that.

My wife and I enjoyed the zoo. We also went to Sea World which was neat to see. I thought it was one of those things that I am happy I went but I don't have much interest in going again.

Make a trip up to LaJolla. Walk along the ocean. Tons of shops, bars and restaurants. Torrey Pines is in LaJolla and is neat to see or play if you are taking your clubs.

If you are into horses, Del Mar is just up the road about 20 minutes. It is pretty cool to see the horses running with the ocean in the background. I am not sure when Del Mar runs or when you will be there.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye_t View Post
    The Gaslamp District (which is where PETCO is) is great. Tons of shops, bars and restaurants. RA is a great choice for sushi if you are into that.

My wife and I enjoyed the zoo. We also went to Sea World which was neat to see. I thought it was one of those things that I am happy I went but I don't have much interest in going again.

Make a trip up to LaJolla. Walk along the ocean. Tons of shops, bars and restaurants. Torrey Pines is in LaJolla and is neat to see or play if you are taking your clubs.

If you are into horses, Del Mar is just up the road about 20 minutes. It is pretty cool to see the horses running with the ocean in the background. I am not sure when Del Mar runs or when you will be there.
    I agree about La Jolla. Totally forgot about that. I think you can do some snorkeling there which might be need. Either way it's beautiful. If you get there early in the morning, you may see Sea Lions all sprawled out on the beach...

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

I've spent some time out there.
    You can't go wrong with many of the options thrown out.
    La Jolla is great, lots of nice restraunts, and then go watch the sunset over the ocean.
    Torrey Pines is beautiful, not just the golf course, but the park.
    The aircraft carrier is sweet if you are into that kind of thing. (I am!)
    I would also recommend a trip across the bridge to Coronado. Historic hotel, and just generally cool place to be.

Oh, and I forgot, it may be rather cool there in April, so pack accordingly.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I've spent some time out there.
    You can't go wrong with many of the options thrown out.
    La Jolla is great, lots of nice restraunts, and then go watch the sunset over the ocean.
    Torrey Pines is beautiful, not just the golf course, but the park.
    The aircraft carrier is sweet if you are into that kind of thing. (I am!)
    I would also recommend a trip across the bridge to Coronado. Historic hotel, and just generally cool place to be.

Oh, and I forgot, it may be rather cool there in April, so pack accordingly.
    It has to be better than here right now! Thank you all for the advice so far and yes all the Military stuff we can get in the better, the wife is even starting to enjoy it. La Jolla is an area we want to get to but we are probably taking a trip back later this year or early next year and it seems like I only get 4 days for the SD area so she can have a day and a half for the Long Beach area and then time with the family out in El Centro.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up