Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Bo Williams Challenge

If Bo is ISU's 3rd string RB, there has been a significant upgrade at that position at ISU more than any time in ISU history, especially for quality depth. Name me a better RB 3 deep any time is ISU history.

When is the last time in ISU FB history that the 3rd string RB was either a HS top ranked FB or ex-Florida player as a freshman?

Some players practice "soft" and play lights out. I hope we all get a chance to see him play this season and evaluate for ourselves.

Florida is more talented than ISU and a transfer from there is a good thing. A BCS championship team recruit to a 3rd string rating at ISU at a key position like RB sounds odd unless you practice "soft" OR coaches don't like you because you're not their recruit, teachers pet, and all that B.S.

Bo is in his Junior year age-wise and all the physical conditioning that goes along with it. That will help him on the field.

I don't want to see narrowminded "fan" judgementalism about a 20 something year old student doing his best to chase his dream to play RB and actually carry the ball. HE WANTS THE BALL! I say he's earned that right by transferring from a National Championship Team and sticking with a 2-10 team through a coaching change of the very coach who promised him he would get the ball.

I want to see Bo play - and I want to see Schwartz play - and ARob....I don't want another Koch left on the shelf because of narrowminded coachthink. I want them all to get a chance to prove what they can do on gameday and help the team win. I think each will bring a different element to the running game and make it much harder to game plan for if all 3 are used frequently.

That is another way to say that all 3 of these RB's have the talent to start for ISU in any other year where there hasn't been such competitive depth at RB.

Let's hope our new staff isn't hung up on narrow-minded throwing the ball no matter what, because the best talent depth on this team may well be the running game in 2009.

I want coaches that actually take advantage of the talent they have, not the scheme or philosophy they worship and sacrifice animals to. Give me pragmatic "I can win more ways than one" over it's my way or the highway every day of the year.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 03-28-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 39

Re: Bo Williams Challenge

I think people are reading too much into Bo being 3rd on the opening spring depth chart. It's fairly irrelevant until August. I personally think ARob will be the starter until the day he's done at ISU but Bo will contribute.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 12

Last year we all thought we were stacked at RB. We saw how that turned out.

I do agree with you that "coachthink" has possibly held us back in recent years. If one guy isn't getting the job done on gameday, get some others out there to see what they can do. Ryan Kock could have saved McCarney's job if he had let him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 7

I have always thought A-Rob would be a tremendous RB here. If Bo is going to beat him out, he is really going to have to earn it.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    If Bo is ISU's 3rd string RB, there has been a significant upgrade at that position at ISU more than any time in ISU history, especially for quality depth. Name me a better RB 3 deep any time is ISU history.

When is the last time in ISU FB history that the 3rd string RB was either a HS top ranked FB or ex-Florida contributor as a freshman?

Some players practice "soft" and play lights out. I hope we all get a chance to see him play this season and evaluate for ourselves.

Florida is more talented than ISU and a transfer from there is a good thing. You don't see the field for a BCS championship team and deserve a 3rd string rating at ISU at a key position like RB unless you practice "soft" OR coaches don't like you because you're not their recruit, teachers pet, and all that B.S.

Bo is in his Junior year age-wise and all the physical conditioning that goes along with it. That will help him on the field.

I don't want to see narrowminded "fan" judgementalism about a 20 something year old student doing his best to chase his dream to play RB and actually carry the ball. HE WANTS THE BALL! I say he's earned that right by transferring from a National Championship Team and sticking with a 2-10 team through a coaching change of the very coach who promised him he would get the ball.

I want to see Bo play - and I want to see Schwartz play - and ARob....I don't want another Koch left on the shelf because of narrowminded coachthink. I want them all to get a chance to prove what they can do on gameday and help the team win. I think each will bring a different element to the running game and make it much harder to game plan for if all 3 are used frequently.

That is another way to say that all 3 of these RB's have the talent to start for ISU in any other year where there hasn't been such competitive depth at RB.

Let's hope our new staff isn't hung up on narrow-minded throwing the ball no matter what, because the best talent depth on this team may well be the running game in 2009.

I want coaches that actually take advantage of the talent they have, not the scheme or philosophy they worship and sacrifice animals to. Give me pragmatic "I can win more ways than one" over it's my way or the highway every day of the year.

Shoptalk, I think you're way too uptight about the fact that Bo is listed 3rd at tailback. It's March. If he ends up giving us the best chance to win, I can assure you that Paul Rhoads and his staff will make sure he's on the field. In the meantime, Bo needs to work harder than he's ever worked before.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 493

How is the offensive line depth? Won't that make a pretty big difference for any of the running backs?

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

That would be hard to do sense I don't know how good Bo is. He has not played a snap of college ball and until he does, I'm not going to make any assumptions. How often do we see 4* flop, all the time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I think people are reading too much into Bo being 3rd on the opening spring depth chart. It's fairly irrelevant until August. I personally think ARob will be the starter until the day he's done at ISU but Bo will contribute.
    Thanks for playing, but last years depth is not like this year will be IF THEY LET THEM PLAY! If they don't play, you win.

Last two years WAS good - we had 3 backs that all had 100 yard games and JJ wasn't allowed to play as much as he could and wanted to give to the running game. I've never seen that in ISU history before Chizik. That was at least one area of improvement. Hopefully the new staff will be FB IQ smart enough to take advantage of the RB by committee. Works for Texas.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I have always thought A-Rob would be a tremendous RB here. If Bo is going to beat him out, he is really going to have to earn it.
    Really? The same A-Rob that accumulated a massive 703 yards and 6 TD's last year? Those stats were gathered by playing against most teams' second string defenses for a quarter or more of each game since we were getting beat down so badly all year.

We're in a heap of trouble if it really does take a Herculean effort to unseat A-Rob.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 493

Thanks for playing, but last years depth is not like this year will be IF THEY LET THEM PLAY! If they don't play, you win.

Last two years WAS good - we had 3 backs that all had 100 yard games and JJ wasn't allowed to play as much as he could and wanted to give to the running game. I've never seen that in ISU history before Chizik. That was at least one area of improvement. Hopefully the new staff will be FB IQ smart enough to take advantage of the RB by committee. Works for Texas.
    I agree here. I would think they'd want to take advantage of the depth at the position as well as reducing wear-and-tear on these guys.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Really? The same A-Rob that accumulated a massive 703 yards and 6 TD's last year? Those stats were gathered by playing against most teams' second string defenses for a quarter or more of each game since we were getting beat down so badly all year.

We're in a heap of trouble if it really does take a Herculean effort to unseat A-Rob.
    You realize that he averaged 4.6 yards a rush last year don't you? Its not his fault Chizik didn't know how to utilize him.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cloneaholic View Post
    Shoptalk, I think you're way too uptight about the fact that Bo is listed 3rd at tailback. It's March. If he ends up giving us the best chance to win, I can assure you that Paul Rhoads and his staff will make sure he's on the field. In the meantime, Bo needs to work harder than he's ever worked before.
    Sounds good and hope so.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 29

Nothing to worry about right now, I'm sure the better back will come through after the spring practices, no matter who it is I will support the coach's decision, I'm sure they know a little more about football than all of us.

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    You realize that he averaged 4.6 yards a rush last year don't you? Its not his fault Chizik didn't know how to utilize him.
    Yes, I do realize that.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I hope NOT! Remember, 3 RB's last year, each had at least one 100 yard game. And the O-line, oh the o-line....I don't really want to talk about it, do you?