Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Advice

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,351, Level: 68
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,399
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    gwoodclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,294
    Points
    48,351
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 12

    Advice

    So, I am currently a high school senior who'll be heading off to Iowa State in just a few more months. I have already been accepted, sent in the FAFSA, applied for scholarships, and all that good stuff. But I'm still undecided on a couple of things. And so I thought, "Where better to ask for advice about ISU than on a site full of ISU students/grads?"

    The first thing is the Honors Progam. My parents want me to do it, but I'm....just neutral on it. To those who were/are involved with it, do you think it is worth it?

    And the other is band. I've been in band all through high school, but the last few years it's been more just because my parents are friends with our director(and because I doubt they'd let me quit). That said, I still generally enjoy it. They all want me to stay in band in college, and I'm leaning towards it too. I know the ISUCF"V"MB members will tell me to join, so I guess instead I'll ask about what the overall experience in band is like.

    Thanks all!



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,312
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Advice

    Just don't live in Larch Hall.


    Chiefs!

  3. #3
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Advice

    I've never heard of people having a bad time in the MB in college.

    I've never heard anything really being a huge benefit of the honors program.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 421,479, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,607
    Points
    421,479
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 655
    Given: 321

    Re: Advice

    Its a big time committment, but definitely a lot of fun. I miss the free trips (bowl games, big 12 and ncaa tourneys...). A great way to meet a lot of fun people really quickly.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 103,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,451
    Points
    103,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

    Re: Advice

    DO NOT do honors. They make you jump through a bunch of hoops for little benefit.

    For band, do what you enjoy. If your not really into it, don't do it.

    Whats your major gonna be?



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 80,984, Level: 88
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,272
    Points
    80,984
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 268
    Given: 183

    Re: Advice

    As someone who always played football in HS and someone who constantly goes to college football games: stay in band. Some kids are a-holes to a band member in HS or so the stereotypes say and I never liked it. Go to a college stadium on saturday in America and see how the atmosphere is or imagine it without a band. I love the Iowa State marching band and think they are awesome. They do a great job of creating an atmosphere and coming up with cool songs to cover and even help in chants and cheers at events. That'd being said, all you can do is follow your heart. do what you want to do, that is basically what college is all about. You are now an adult and the decisions of what you do or do not want to do are up to you.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 350,774, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,873
    Points
    350,774
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 2

    Re: Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by gwoodclone View Post
    The first thing is the Honors Progam. My parents want me to do it, but I'm....just neutral on it. To those who were/are involved with it, do you think it is worth it?
    I was in the Honors Program at ISU and was ambivalent about it, like you. I only joined because I was complaining to my advisor that I couldn't take some electives I wanted to take. She talked me into the HP, because you can tailor-make your curriculum, to an extent. This rocked for me, because there were some classes I didn't want to take, and some I really did, and as long as my advisor signed off on it, that was fine.

    I didn't want to be a part of the Honors "group", and really didn't have to be. I did have to take some Honors seminars (1 credit each) but those turned out to be very interesting.

    The HP also enabled me to tap into a Study Abroad program through them, which was probably the best experience I had at ISU, and there were some great ones!


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 23,059, Level: 46
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    isunorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    23,059
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by gwoodclone View Post
    So, I am currently a high school senior who'll be heading off to Iowa State in just a few more months. I have already been accepted, sent in the FAFSA, applied for scholarships, and all that good stuff. But I'm still undecided on a couple of things. And so I thought, "Where better to ask for advice about ISU than on a site full of ISU students/grads?"

    The first thing is the Honors Progam. My parents want me to do it, but I'm....just neutral on it. To those who were/are involved with it, do you think it is worth it?

    And the other is band. I've been in band all through high school, but the last few years it's been more just because my parents are friends with our director(and because I doubt they'd let me quit). That said, I still generally enjoy it. They all want me to stay in band in college, and I'm leaning towards it too. I know the ISUCF"V"MB members will tell me to join, so I guess instead I'll ask about what the overall experience in band is like.

    Thanks all!
    The honors program is a joke. I was in it and got kicked out because I refused to go to their adolescent group meetings and overnight lock-ins. Maybe it changed, but it was really childish when I was in school. No advantages...just a bunch of smart kids that wanted to sit around and be smart together.


    Last edited by isunorth; 03-27-2009 at 12:27 AM.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 24,055, Level: 47
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    illinoiscyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,705
    Points
    24,055
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Advice

    I would never in a million years do band. however, i am not, nor ever have been a bandie. that said, the people who do it do REALLY seem to enjoy it.

    I feel bad because I sorta label people who do band before i even know them just like i do to frat guys. the frat guy labels are generally more accurate.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,312
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    As someone who always played football in HS and someone who constantly goes to college football games: stay in band. Some kids are a-holes to a band member in HS or so the stereotypes say and I never liked it. Go to a college stadium on saturday in America and see how the atmosphere is or imagine it without a band. I love the Iowa State marching band and think they are awesome. They do a great job of creating an atmosphere and coming up with cool songs to cover and even help in chants and cheers at events. That'd being said, all you can do is follow your heart. do what you want to do, that is basically what college is all about. You are now an adult and the decisions of what you do or do not want to do are up to you.

    I think theres a HUGE difference between band in High School and band in College.


    Chiefs!

  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 140,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Flag Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,090
    Points
    140,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Advice

    Freshman Honors is ok... it will certainly give you a flavor for if you want to continue with it or not. It certainly is not for everyone, and not for the reasons you'd think... (not related just to extra work...)

    FHP was fun though, especially the weekend retreat thing they had. The Honors section also usually does some fun activities, I know some have rented canoes and canoed in Lake LaVern, my Honors section took a tour of the Campinelle, ect

    The real question is... Honors Housing vs Honors Cluster vs Regular housing. That will make a difference... as it is a strong influence on who you will meet and develop friendships with. I lived on an Honors cluster my freshman year... then on the same floor for the next two years


    When I was a freshman, it was the first year that cluster was there, so we were exposed to the influence of some people that uh, didn't fit the Honors program mold... in fact, the Res Hall put us there to clean the floor up.

    It worked - the floor I lived on Freshman year was a very different floor from when I moved off, and even more so than when i graduated. The people I lived with Freshman year definitly provided a different perspective on life... the people towards the end were definitly much more sanitized and less diverse.


    Something to consider. Honors Clusters / Floors will have people who are (generally) more study minded, drink less, etc. Note that is a generalization


    Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 15,088, Level: 37
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    MrGreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    875
    Points
    15,088
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by gwoodclone View Post
    So, I am currently a high school senior who'll be heading off to Iowa State in just a few more months. I have already been accepted, sent in the FAFSA, applied for scholarships, and all that good stuff. But I'm still undecided on a couple of things. And so I thought, "Where better to ask for advice about ISU than on a site full of ISU students/grads?"

    The first thing is the Honors Progam. My parents want me to do it, but I'm....just neutral on it. To those who were/are involved with it, do you think it is worth it?

    And the other is band. I've been in band all through high school, but the last few years it's been more just because my parents are friends with our director(and because I doubt they'd let me quit). That said, I still generally enjoy it. They all want me to stay in band in college, and I'm leaning towards it too. I know the ISUCF"V"MB members will tell me to join, so I guess instead I'll ask about what the overall experience in band is like.

    Thanks all!
    i say do the freshman honors program. there isn't much commitment, but you can sign up for honors classes and i think you may get to register for classes a little earlier too. the honors classes can be nice...i took honors physics, we were in the same lecture as the regular physics class, but we had our own ta who was great.

    edit: but dont live in the honors housing
    Posted via Mobile Device


    Last edited by MrGreg; 03-27-2009 at 12:29 AM.

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 44,875, Level: 65
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,803
    Points
    44,875
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Advice

    I think the Honor's program requires you to do some big project, right? That's why I decided against it. A lot of extra work, and for what?

    If you're smart, your GPA will say so. If you're not smart, you wouldn't stay in Honor's, anyway.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 103,402, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    Posts
    5,451
    Points
    103,402
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

    Re: Advice

    I feel bad because I sorta label people who do band before i even know them just like i do to frat guys. the frat guy labels are generally more accurate.
    Your not the only one, I do too. I'll be honest, when I'm walking across campus, half the people I see I absolutely hate. Especially So-whores.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 23,059, Level: 46
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    isunorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    23,059
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by illinoiscyclone View Post
    I would never in a million years do band. however, i am not, nor ever have been a bandie. that said, the people who do it do REALLY seem to enjoy it.

    I feel bad because I sorta label people who do band before i even know them just like i do to frat guys. the frat guy labels are generally more accurate.
    Wow. Stereotype much?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM