Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

...Not a sport?

I started my browsing tonight with Angie's poll about the best comedic sports movies ever, which was followed by a great thread. I noticed while reading that people have various opinions about what is and what isn't a sport. So now I am wondering what constitutes a sport? I've read this evening in the same post that NASCAR is not while bowling is. ( I disagree) I also read that dog shows are not and I do agree with this. With those to start it let's have some fun. What makes a sport?

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

Re: ...Not a sport?

NASCAR, and other types of racing in general, is/are sports. I am also biased bc I like racing and will be racing myself this summer, wooohoooo.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,023

Great thread, too!! I personally don't believe that the following are sports: bowling, racing (although I change on this one if it's a long race), dog shows, spelling bees (even though I've been in them), darts, golf is a little questionable (if you're using a cart), pool, archery, and so on.

Before I offend anyone: I consider sports to meet two requirements. They have to be played in a competitive session where you need to come up with some strategy to beat your opponent. I throw golf-for-fun out here as an example - it's turn-based, and your play is completely independent of your opponent's. The other thing is that it has to be physically active.

Last edited by Angie; 01-15-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    M 7/09

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with you on NASCAR etc. as long as the racing is done at high speeds for sustained periods of time I have to believe that you have to be an athlete to control the situation and your body with the stress, heat, and duration.
    I wonder about recreational golf. (ie golf with carts and beer. The Pros have an arguement walking 18 holes a day for 4 days + practice rounds and practice time on the range.) I can't call Bowling a sport, you don't have to be in any kind of shape to do that.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

baseball is a sport, but it sucks.

golf can only brush sportingness - but not if you have a cart, then its a drinking game.

NASCAR fans can be bitter, I won't comment. BTW ever want to **** off a race fan? This one works every time
    "Is Jeff Gordan still winning everything? How bout the son of that dead guy?" (just messing with you, race fans )

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Nascar over Golf as a sport?????? Am I in crazy land????

I consider both a sport, but driving a car and hitting a ball are completely different in terms of a sport. I mean come on, in Golf you also drive a car like object, so Basically golf incorporates Nascar. You have to be able to hit a small ball and then drive a car to go get it. I don't see any ball hitting in NASCAR?

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 23

Millions of sports, but only two that matter: Football and basketball

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Great thread, too!! I personally don't believe that the following are sports: bowling, racing (although I change on this one if it's a long race), dog shows, spelling bees (even though I've been in them), darts, golf is a little questionable (if you're using a cart), pool, archery, and so on.

Before I offend anyone: I consider sports to meet two requirements. They have to be played in a competitive session where you need to come up with some strategy to beat your opponent. I throw golf-for-fun out here as an example - it's turn-based, and your play is completely independent of your opponent's. The other thing is that it has to be physically active.
    Good Point Angie. However, doesn't your play influence the other persons strategy while playing. For example: On the Par 3 18th hole, I hit a shot 2 feet from the pin on an island green with the wind blowing from left-to-right and the pin position is on the left side of the green. My opponent, has a wicked slice and we are tied. He/She knows that in order to beat me he/she must birdie the hole, and I must miss my 2 foot gimme putt. So because of this my opponent goes for the pin instead of the safe shot in the middle of the green and ends up in the water because they played to much slice. Or my opponent hits it six inches from the whole and wins because I choke because I had to many adult beverages.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Talking Re: ...Not a sport?

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    baseball is a sport, but it sucks.

golf can only brush sportingness - but not if you have a cart, then its a drinking game.

NASCAR fans can be bitter, I won't comment. BTW ever want to **** off a race fan? This one works every time
    "Is Jeff Gordan still winning everything? How bout the son of that dead guy?" (just messing with you, race fans )
    I am a race fan and that was still funny. I also love it when my friends or family ask me what I am doing while a race is on and than ask " Oh, are they still turning left?" Indeed they are unless its one of 2 road courses. I relish those days so I can say no.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 753
    Given: 3,023

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Good Point Angie. However, doesn't your play influence the other persons strategy while playing. For example: On the Par 3 18th hole, I hit a shot 2 feet from the pin on an island green with the wind blowing from left-to-right and the pin position is on the left side of the green. My opponent, has a wicked slice and we are tied. He/She knows that in order to beat me he/she must birdie the hole, and I must miss my 2 foot gimme putt. So because of this my opponent goes for the pin instead of the safe shot in the middle of the green and ends up in the water because they played to much slice. Or my opponent hits it six inches from the whole and wins because I choke because I had to many adult beverages.
    I just laughed at how this all came back to adult beverages. :)

That's a really good point - okay, I amend myself. As long as you're not using a cart to get to every hole, I count golf as a sport. It's strategic AND physical.

M 7/09

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 181

Maybe we can have two classifications of "sports" 1) Those that require extreme agility, raw athleticism and amazing endurance, therein pushing the body to the edge of performance such as: Football, Basketball, Running (marathons & sprints), soccer (as much as I hate to say it). and 2) Those that require a special skill, finesse, talent and craftiness such as: Baseball, Pool, Golf, Racing, Fishing (?) etc.

Both having some kind of physical aspect to them (Texas Hold'em does not qualify for #2), both have strategy/ game plan involved, and both respected for the specific skills involved.

???

Man law?

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you add NASCAR to the first list then I say yes Man Law. Take into consideration the temperatures inside the car that the driver/athlete has to deal with, Not uncommon for them to lose pounds during a race due to the stress put on thier bodies at extreeme temps. The constant physical activity of wrestling a 3000 pound machine next to 40+ others and the pure fact that if they hava a lapse of concentration or make a physical error they may die, or at least go for one heck of a ride.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I like to think of a sport as simply physical competition. This includes most fringe sports when one is competing, like golf, darts, and usually racing. Competitive cheerleading is thus a sport as well, while typical cheerleading is not. Poker, chess, etc. are not sports, they are games of skill. A good test is whether one's performance tends to significantly differ with changes in physical rather than mental ability.

Last edited by Kyle; 01-15-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    If you add NASCAR to the first list then I say yes Man Law. Take into consideration the temperatures inside the car that the driver/athlete has to deal with, Not uncommon for them to lose pounds during a race due to the stress put on thier bodies at extreeme temps. The constant physical activity of wrestling a 3000 pound machine next to 40+ others and the pure fact that if they hava a lapse of concentration or make a physical error they may die, or at least go for one heck of a ride.
    So....is the Air Force a sports team?????

I also lose weight in a Sana.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I used to make fun of NASCAR and the fans until I started watching it so I could make conversation at work on Monday mornings. Now I am totally hooked, as is my wife. What a testosterone rush. The best part about NASCAR is that the drivers don't whine, complain, and skip out of races because they are hurt. Tony Stewart drove 500 miles with cracked ribs twice last year. Can you imagine Barry Bonds trying to drive 500 miles with cracked ribs.

My favorite sports are:

1. College Football
    2. College Basketball
    3. College Wrestling
    4. NASCAR - 5 weeks to Daytona Baby!