Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What has happened with college basketball?

Is anyone else getting extremely frustrated with what college basketball is becoming? There is no loyalty whatsoever anymore and that includes from coaches. If a player can't be a star from game one of his career he either moves on or the coach tells him to find another school. I am old enough to remember the good ole days when there was actually 5-6 seniors to recognize on senior day. The number of four year players at ISU the last 10 years is very small. Very very frustrating.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 189

Re: What has happened with college basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by hursts View Post
    Is anyone else getting extremely frustrated with what college basketball is becoming? There is no loyalty whatsoever anymore and that includes from coaches. If a player can't be a star from game one of his career he either moves on or the coach tells him to find another school. I am old enough to remember the good ole days when there was actually 5-6 seniors to recognize on senior day. The number of four year players at ISU the last 10 years is very small. Very very frustrating.
    Happened when basketball became a big money operation, not just at the pro level but at the college level as well. The only way you're going to get looked at, even by foreign leagues, is if you are playing.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Can we blame AAU programs?

You're right though, it has definately become a business.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 9

I agree with your post, unfortunately we live in me first society. Previous generations were much better at waiting, they may not have liked it, but it was expected. In the world we live in (sports, work, etc) everything is expected to happen much quicker, or it is viewed as a failure. Sad, but I don't see it changing. Tough on young people who have always been the star on the AAU circuit or high school level to wait until it is time for them.
    On a selfish note, makes me proud of someone like Shellie Mosman on the twister sisters that was a star in high school,but is a great representative of the university as a student-athlete. Lots of examples around like her, but unfortunately the other stories get more publicity.

If you don't think every day is a good day, try missing one.

lakeliving

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The NCAA is the richest, dirtiest not for profit org. in the world. Only the NCAA will be allowed to make money off the athletes, not the athletes or their families.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was always under the impression growing up ...If you're not good enough, get better...

Not the case anymore, I'm afraid.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    I was always under the impression growing up ...If you're not good enough, get better...

Not the case anymore, I'm afraid.
    I honestly have no idea what you mean by this.

Edit: Nevermind, I was being really thick. I was thinking NCAA wide, you're talking about individual players.

Last edited by BryceC; 03-26-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    For coaches it's "If you're not good enough, remain that way and we'll keep you around for a decade or until new administration arrives."

The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.

GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

I think you can thank the NBA for what is happening to college basketball.

The NBA was not always the big-salaried sport that it has become now, thanks to the money available from tv, merchandise sales, etc. I'm old enough to remember when quite honestly, the players in the NBA did not make all that much money, not even compared to the other pro sports.

Believe it or not, I can still remember when student-athletes actually wanted to get a degree so they would have something to fall back on in case a career in professional sports did not work out. But I digress.

I think the NBA is ruining college basketball. All these athletes come in to school now thinking that just because they were a big shot in high school, they have a shot at the NBA and the big money, and if they do not immediately become a starter, they think they will not get the exposure, so they look for a new school.

It all started when the NBA started regularly drafting high school players. Once that happened, college basketball was doomed. Unless the NBA changes their draft rules, and do not start drafting a player until at least after their junior year, the quality of college basketball will further decay.

Every school has transfers. Even Duke and North Carolina had transfers last year. Duke lost a player to Villanova I believe, and Tim Floyd got a transfer from NC. So, it happens everywhere; probably more at mid-major programs, or programs with less success like Iowa and Iowa State.

It has to be really tough to be a college coach these days, until you finally have some success. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Dryburn; 03-26-2009 at 03:53 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Can we blame AAU programs?

You're right though, it has definately become a business.
    I think AAU has an impact, but I don't think it's the biggest problem. I have no problem with AAU only for the fact that it gets a lot of kids noticed that might otherwise be buried on bad teams at no-name schools.

I would say the NBA and the lure of money is biggest. Second, is the fact that getting drafted is more about being athletic than it is about being good at basketball. Players used to develop skills in college, much like baseball players do in the minors. Now, if you're tall, fast, strong and can jump they'll draft you and take their chances.

Just my opinion...interested to see what others think.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    If a player is at the end of the bench...and the coaches are telling him what he needs to improve on to get playing time...do it....get better(improve your game).

Prospect
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Is the NCAA making it easier to transfer? I think there is more people transferring than ever! usually you didnt see much transfers unless there was a new coach!

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I think you can thank the NBA for what is happening to college basketball.

The NBA was not always the big-salaried sport that it has become now, thanks to the money available from tv, merchandise sales, etc. I'm old enough to remember when quite honestly, the players in the NBA did not make all that much money, not even compared to the other pro sports.

Believe it or not, I can still remember when student-athletes actually wanted to get a degree so they would have something to fall back on in case a career in professional sports did not work out. But I digress.

I think the NBA is runining college basketball. All these athletes come in to school now thinking that just because they were a big shot in high school, they have a shot at the NBA and the big money, and if they do not immediately become a starter, they think they will not get the exposure, so they look for a new school.

It all started when the NBA started regularly drafting high school players. Once that happened, college basketball was doomed. Unless the NBA changes their draft rules, and do not start drafting a player until at least after their junior year, the quality of college basketball will further decay.

Every school has transfers. Even Duke and North Carolina had transfers last year. Duke lost a player to Villanova I believe, and Floyd got a transfer from NC. So, it happens everywhere; probably more at mid-major programs, or programs with less success like Iowa and Iowa State.

It has to be really tough to be a college coach these days, until you finally have some success. Just my opinion.
    Why should the NBA give two ***** about the college game? Isn't it up to the colleges to figure out how to make their game "better"?

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    If a player is at the end of the bench...and the coaches are telling him what he needs to improve on to get playing time...do it....get better(improve your game).
    Yeah. I'm tired of all of these players thinking they are all that and coach is just being a hater as well.

Unfortunatley there are some coaches that are OK with a players short comings, but ultimatley that hurts the player. Look at Todd Blythe in football.

Can this possibly be? mplscyclone agreeing with kg???? IDK. I guess we'll see where this leads. I mean if Paris and Nicole can get along again, who knows?

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SchuellerClones View Post
    Is the NCAA making it easier to transfer? I think there is more people transferring than ever! usually you didnt see much transfers unless there was a new coach!
    Pretty sure the rules are the same, it just comes down to kids thinking they are owed something these days. I used to work with high school sports and it is astonishing to see the difference between them and when I was there 12 years earlier. No respect for coaches, teachers or any adult. All their parents are telling them how great they are and how they can do no wrong. College and sitting on the bench comes as a shock to their egos.
    I know I'm generalizing, all kids aren't like that. But the scale has definitely tipped to the negative.
    I also think kids should be allowed to transfer without sitting out if a coach that recruited them quits or takes another job.