Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Expectations for Players

Just kind of curious what everybody truly expected this past season from each one of the players. I hear everybody having a complaint (I'm guilty of it) but I thought each player was about right on par to where they should be against Big 12 competition.

Lucca/Wes---First year playing in the Big 12. I expected him to fade a bit going down the stretch along with Wes. Both did a fair share of scoring in the non-conference schedule which was nice.

Boozer---Didn't expect him to play a whole lot going into the year but he really impressed me. Heard McDermott yelling at him to shoot numerous times but was pretty much a hustle player.

Brackins---20 and 10 was nice. I figured he would be a 14/6 guy. He has improved more than any player in the Big 12.

Garrett---I honestly have no clue why people are hating on DG for anything. He was the most impressive player to me by far on this years team. He had careless turnovers at times and wasn't strong with the rock but he still has alot to learn. He is never going to shoot 3's consistently but I guarantee you that if he could run as much as he wanted, he would average 3-5 more points a game and at least one more assist.

Haluska/Petersen/Thompson---Could not have asked for a whole lot more from them. Played the game smart and gave a ton of quality minutes.

Hamilton---Dropped off a bit towards the end of the year but showed he belonged in the Big 12. Needs to develop a mid-range jumper and work with his left hand and he could really contribute in the next few years.

Mann---Didn't see enough of him this year to really tell where he is at.

Vanderbeken---Might end up playing the 3, guarding the 4 next year. Has never played man to man defense before and never played with his back to the basket before coming to ISU. Solid 3 point shooter. Hopefully he can come close to scoring double digits next year.

I remember back to the Drake game when Haluska, Petersen, Lee, Hamilton, and Thompson were on the floor at one point towards the end and I got to thinking about how this team simply doesn't have the talent level to play the game at a Big 12 level and learned not to expect alot out of them.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

Re: Expectations for Players

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    Just kind of curious what Haluska/Petersen/Thompson---Could not have asked for a whole lot more from them. Played the game smart and gave a ton of quality minutes.
    I think grouping Petersen with Haluska and Thompson is overly simplistic. Without Petey, we probably would have dropped another three or four games. Second leading rebounder, and arguably our best three-point shooter. While he might not be the player that leads us to a Big 12 championship, we'd been a lot worse without him. Can't say the same about Haluska and Thompson.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Garrett---I honestly have no clue why people are hating on DG for anything. He was the most impressive player to me by far on this years team. He had careless turnovers at times and wasn't strong with the rock but he still has alot to learn. He is never going to shoot 3's consistently but I guarantee you that if he could run as much as he wanted, he would average 3-5 more points a game and at least one more assist.
    Unless you mean, "...the most impressive player to me not named Brackins by far on this years team," how are we to take anything else you say seriously?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I put those 3 together because they all 3 play the game smart. Rarely take stupid shots, control the clock, and run the offense. I agree though, Petersen could have been a star at a lower conference, but I'm glad he came to ISU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    Unless you mean, "...the most impressive player to me not named Brackins by far on this years team," how are we to take anything else you say seriously?

Brackins was Brackins. Everybody pretty much expected our highest rated recruit ever to be our best scoring threat. I just think that Garrett could be a better PG if he had more than one person (Brackins) to pass to.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

This is the only thing I disagree with. He was beyond brutal when it came to jump shots. I agree with your analysis that if he could run when he wants his stats would improve, however, his turnovers would also. He tends to be careless with the ball and dribbles it high (which is a problem because he's tall) making it easier for him to get picked as it is. If he could just learn to finish at the rim, his game would improve drastically (probably more than the 3-5 points per game you mentioned). He either needs to become a gym rat, or give up on the jump shot.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    I think grouping Petersen with Haluska and Thompson is overly simplistic. Without Petey, we probably would have dropped another three or four games. Second leading rebounder, and arguably our best three-point shooter. While he might not be the player that leads us to a Big 12 championship, we'd been a lot worse without him. Can't say the same about Haluska and Thompson.
    I think a case can be made for Haluska's defense in a couple games being key to us winning (see: Texas Tech on Voskuil as the prime example)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

Heavily exceeded expectations: Brackins
    Exceeded expectations: Hamilton, JVB, Boozer
    Met expectations: Thompson, Haluska, Petey, Eik
    Slightly below expectations: Lucca, Eik, Buck, Diante
    Below expectations: Nobody

I'm not making a statement on how well I thought guys did, just how they did in relation to my expectations.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,119
    Given: 588

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Heavily exceeded expectations: Brackins
    Exceeded expectations: Hamilton, JVB, Boozer
    Met expectations: Thompson, Haluska, Petey, Eik
    Slightly below expectations: Lucca, Eik, Buck, Diante
    Below expectations: Nobody

I'm not making a statement on how well I thought guys did, just how they did in relation to my expectations.
    I would agree with that, though Petey probably carried more of the load, and was more important to the team than I thought he would be.

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I thought Lucca was a disappointment. Everyone always ranted and raved about his shooting. Other than a few glimpses, he never showed it.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Just a question: Is the fact Petey was the 2nd leading rebounder an amazing stat, or a lack of toughness from the big guys up front? Just seems weird that JVB or Hamilton couldn't get more boards for their minutes.. I mean, it's not like Petey averaged 7 boards a game.