Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

What the hey happened to the Dow, today?

I am not one to follow the ups and downs of the Stock Market, but as much as Chicken Little has been runing around lately, I'm wondering where all those moment-to-moment following the DJIA are at this moment.

Is my Yahoo! stock ticker correct? Was Monday really a 7% up-tick day??? (or darned close to it!!!)

Seems like if you're going to cry when the sky is falling, you need to crow when the roof blows off. Not that I care one way or another. This whole stock market going up and down thing is not new news....

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: What the hey happened to the Dow, today?

Yes, it did, sir.

Best single day since November. Appears that Wall Street is reacting kindly to the administration's plan to buy up roughly $1 trillion in bad assets. We also saw some better-than-expected news regarding existing home sales.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it was one of the best numerical days (not %) ever-4th or 5th. The loss days are always worse. The one day drop that happened in late 87' would be something like -2,000 pts today. I think that is why they built in the 15% safeguard to shut it down in a similar event.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,887
    Given: 897

The plan that they unveiled yesterday was a great one for the market. Not so great if you're the one picking up the tab for it. Every dime of gain will be made up in either higher taxes or lower worth of the dollar. The dollar dropped 5% in value in one day last week due to the government's rampant printing of money. Yes, I am Chicken Little.

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I thought I read somewhere that the Dow has had its best 10 day run since 1938.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    Yes, it did, sir.

Best single day since November. Appears that Wall Street is reacting kindly to the administration's plan to buy up roughly $1 trillion in bad assets. We also saw some better-than-expected news regarding existing home sales.

Actually I think the 5% jump in new home sales helped more. But handing out a free Trillion to wall street helps too.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    The plan that they unveiled yesterday was a great one for the market. Not so great if you're the one picking up the tab for it. Every dime of gain will be made up in either higher taxes or lower worth of the dollar. The dollar dropped 5% in value in one day last week due to the government's rampant printing of money. Yes, I am Chicken Little.
    You're not being Chicken Little; you're being SMART. Unlike the idiots who run around with their heads chopped off because the market went south for a little while.

Of course THOSE Chicken Littles are the reason the gov't decided to socialize the Stock Market and Financial Industry. And a contributing factor to the republic's future decline.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,146
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 71

Get ready for hyper inflation and buy your TIPs now while they are cheap.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You're exactly right. I think it's time the American people wise up and realize that the Dow isn't the only indicator of our economy's strength/weakness at any given time.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,887
    Given: 897

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    You're not being Chicken Little; you're being SMART. Unlike the idiots who run around with their heads chopped off because the market went south for a little while.

Of course THOSE Chicken Littles are the reason the gov't decided to socialize the Stock Market and Financial Industry. And a contributing factor to the republic's future decline.
    I misunderstood your Chicken Little comment, but should have known better where you were going with that.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

The same people who thought that there were sound financials in the market 5 years ago apparently think that good things are happening now....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,156
    Given: 822

To me the markets are not the end-all-be-all of the financial health, it's just one of the many indicators, and there are many reasons for why it reacts the way it does. For instance, a person's body temperature is an indicator of that person's health. The average person's temperature is 98.6 F (mine is in the mid 97s, but that's another story). A person with a 99.9 F temperature may have that for many reasons - a person's average temperature may simply be in the 90s and is having a little bit of a fluctuation, the person might have just got done working out, or many different things. Or this person could have the onset of the flu and the person's temperature is on the way up. Of course, a person could be sitting at their average body temperature and be deathly ill at the same time.

With the markets trending downwards for as long as they have, and then in the last week seeing them go upwards with yesterday going up 500 points, I don't necessarily get excited about that. To me right now the policies that are being put in place are those that are meant to make the economy look better tomorrow at the expense of the economy in the future. In the words of hos, we're trying to keep popped bubbles inflated. The problem with that is when the bubble finally does deflate things will be so much more worse than had we let it deflate in the first place because then we wasted all those resources on something that failed anyway.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.