Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 312

Why Why Why do they

have the womens tourny and th wrestling tourny at the same time as the mens basketball tourny. It truely makes no sense. Why would you put anything else up against the mens basketball tourny. Nobody is watching anything but mens basketballl. The women and the wrestling could get so much more exposure if they just had there tournys a few weeks before.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,524

Re: Why Why Why do they

You'd think this would be obvious. If you're trying to draw a crowd, and dare I say, the money that comes with it, you don't put your event up against one of the most-watched sporting events in the country.

There aren't many things that are so watched that people buy packages to watch more than one game at once, or watch on their TV and computer simultaneously.

Horrible way to expand those two markets (WBB and wrestling).

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    have the womens tourny and th wrestling tourny at the same time as the mens basketball tourny. It truely makes no sense. Why would you put anything else up against the mens basketball tourny. Nobody is watching anything but mens basketballl. The women and the wrestling could get so much more exposure if they just had there tournys a few weeks before.
    I've been watching wrestling when I can, especially when ISU guys are on. I will watch WBB when I can, too. The longer the MBB tournament goes on, usually the fewer teams I really care about enough to watch.

Yes, I wish they weren't at the exact same times, but I do watch what is on tv.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 41

IIRC, the women's tourney is when it is because they feel like they can feed off of the coverage/excitement/etc. of the men.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 15

Or, it's right after their regular season ends, like the men's.

Last year I was on a business-related trip to North Carolina in early April. The night of the Women's NCAA championship game I was in a hotel where my tv wasn't working. When a guy came to fix it I told I wanted to be able to watch the basketball championship game, and he looked at me strangely. When I explained I wanted to watch the women's final game, he said, "oh" and smiled, then left. Apparently in NC, if the men (NC, Duke) aren't playing basketball, it's like the game doesn't exist. I did get to watch the game.

Last edited by Ms3r4ISU; 03-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You really knownothing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To play the devil's advocate for a minute, how much more exposure do you think wrestling or women's basketball would really get if it were played at a different time?

Us fans at ISU probably are not the best representatives of the entire population because both WBB and wrestling are unusually popular at our school and in our state.

The average casual sports fan might check in to watch the women's final, but wouldn't watch an early round game if it were the only thing on TV. I would say the same goes for wrestling.

Even many of us on this board would only watch because it's the Cyclones, but would still watch most men's basketball games. Let's be honest...I'm watching UW and Xavier right now...guarantee I wouldn't if it were women and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that argument.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,816
    Given: 1,524

Quote Originally Posted by isunorth View Post
    To play the devil's advocate for a minute, how much more exposure do you think wrestling or women's basketball would really get if it were played at a different time?

Us fans at ISU probably are not the best representatives of the entire population because both WBB and wrestling are unusually popular at our school and in our state.

The average casual sports fan might check in to watch the women's final, but wouldn't watch an early round game if it were the only thing on TV. I would say the same goes for wrestling.

Even many of us on this board would only watch because it's the Cyclones, but would still watch most men's basketball games. Let's be honest...I'm watching UW and Xavier right now...guarantee I wouldn't if it were women and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that argument.
    Very good points. Probably no more exposure.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I dunno. I haven't watched a minute of the basketball tourney this week.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You really knownothing
    Normally you save that stupid little thing for when everyone does not agree with you. Your like the 500th person to say that when they don't agree with what I said. Get some originality please.

My point is valid. They are running the womens and wrestling tournys out at the same time as the mens. The mens tourny dominates. I don't care about the womens tourny because it's going at the same time as the mens.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Normally you save that stupid little thing for when everyone does not agree with you. Your like the 500th person to say that when they don't agree with what I said. Get some originality please.

My point is valid. They are running the womens and wrestling tournys out at the same time as the mens. The mens tourny dominates. I don't care about the womens tourny because it's going at the same time as the mens.
    Most people would not care about the women's tourney one way or the other. Same goes for wrestling. End of story.

Anyone who disagrees with this is either a.) stupid or b.) bitter that their favorite sports isn't popular with a nation-wide audience.

As I've said before, no disrespect to anyone who participates in or follows these sports. My statement isn't about superiority, it's about popularity and the numbers don't lie.

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Wrestling is never going to get the attention, its just too much of a niche sport. You say "wrestling" to the majority of the population and they think "WWE". Sad, but true. Even in a wrestling stronghold like Iowa, it doesn't draw nearly the numbers that basketball does. As far as the women's game goes, it has more of a backing, but it still doesn't have the star-power that the men's tournament does. I watched the ISU game last night, and it was apparent that everyone thinks UConn is going to waltz their way to the trophy. You don't get that kind of foregone conclusion thinking in the men's tournament.

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acs4isu View Post
    Wrestling is never going to get the attention, its just too much of a niche sport. You say "wrestling" to the majority of the population and they think "WWE". Sad, but true. Even in a wrestling stronghold like Iowa, it doesn't draw nearly the numbers that basketball does. As far as the women's game goes, it has more of a backing, but it still doesn't have the star-power that the men's tournament does. I watched the ISU game last night, and it was apparent that everyone thinks UConn is going to waltz their way to the trophy. You don't get that kind of foregone conclusion thinking in the men's tournament.
    You make an interesting point. This certainly doesn't help the situation. There is very little parity in WBB. Wrestling is probably worse.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah but you have to give wrestling and Womens basketball a shot. If you keep burrying it nobody will ever care. At least start the season 2 weeks earlier and get there tourny going 2 weeks early so they can grab some of the attention.
    Even if it's filling out a womens bracket. I would do it if nothing else was happening. Right now I just care about my mens bracket.