Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

KU Fans Reason to Bash Hilton and ISU Fan

Just a comment on why some KU fans are bashing Hilton and ISU fans -

I am pretty sure it is because "The Phog" has been known as one of the toughest places to play with some of the best fans around. So, any suggestion that another school - especially one in the same conference - has a court that is just as hard to play on, will be met with negative comments on their part. They are just trying to protect their so-called "title" as "toughest venue in the Big 12." So, in a way, it is a backhanded compliment. Some KU fans feel threatened by the success ISU has had at Hilton.

Not many would debate that in most years, KU has the more highly recruited players on the floor - doesn't that in itself make KU a harder place to play? When ISU is able to compete at Hilton against highly ranked opponents, with lower profile player - doesn't that make the Hilton crowd an even bigger necessity to get the "W"? Which in turn means that the environment is tougher to play in?

BOTTOM LINE - many realize that Hilton is an extremely tough arena to play in. KU fans are feeling the heat that their "title" as toughest arena in the Big 12 is threatened, and they are fighting back by trying to point out things that their own fans do consistently. Trying to make their egos feel better and secure.

So, take pride my fellow Cyclones! HILTON INDEED IS ONE OF THE TOUGHEST PLACES TO PLAY!

Scott

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

Re: KU Fans Reason to Bash Hilton and ISU Fan

From the Kansas board.
    Clearlake, IA -- Over 500 people clad in Iowa State gear have arrived at the Clear Lake Airport and have surrounded the Buddy Holly memorial, booing at it for the past 2 hours.
    This was creative.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

That's exactly my thought. The KU fans at the game didn't hear it, but you can be sure KU fans watching the game on TV heard the ESPN announcers' extremely positive comments on the noise level and the atmosphere at Hilton riled them up.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 498

The little Engine that Could

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    That's exactly my thought. The KU fans at the game didn't hear it, but you can be sure KU fans watching the game on TV heard the ESPN announcers' extremely positive comments on the noise level and the atmosphere at Hilton riled them up.
    Is there a replay of the ESPN broadcast anywhere online? I've heard enough people commenting on... well, the commentators- that I would like to watch it myself. I'm curious. Plus, I'd like to get a different viewpoint of the game than directly behind the east basket.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,862
    Given: 881

I watched the rebroadcast on ESPN U this morning. Unfortunately I had to work yesterday and only caught the overtime. They were making positive comments all game, almost as good as a two hour Cyclone commercial!

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Danny Manning and Larry Brown never won in Hilton. In 1988, the year KU won the National Championship, KU got beat by 18 at Hilton.

I haven't seen authentic "Hilton Magic" in years...until yesterday against KU. It would have been fun to be there. Never saw it with Wayne Morgan. Occassionally saw it with Eustachy and Tim Floyd. Saw it a lot with Johnny Orr. "Hilton Magic" is back.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 716

I would say Hilton Magic was on display more than "occasionaly" during the Floyd/Eustachy years! Those were among the best teams ever at Iowa State! Unless you meant that you personally saw it occasionally then I apologize for disagreeing with you.

I agree with you that it does appear the Magic is back though! GO STATE!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Didn't see it with Larry's teams? I think one of the loudest seasons I've heard at Hilton was the Elite 8 year and even the year after that it was pretty good too. Hilton was sold out nearly every Big 12 game in those 2 season.

Yesterday was the close I've heard it to Hilton Magic in a long time but it still did not match that off the early 2000 seasons I think. The program is going in the right direction, we'll get the magic back soon enough I think.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Are they seriously making bad comments about Hilton? They are lucky that they had the refs on their side or we would have beaten them.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

As much as KU fans are complaining, if we get a call when Mike Taylor was fouled shooting a 3-pointer from the top of the key late in the game, it might have been the difference between winning and losing. Mac was looking for a blocked shot call and our ball out of bounds; they gave it to KU. When in fact, he got hammered on the play.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,137
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Yesterday was the close I've heard it to Hilton Magic in a long time but it still did not match that off the early 2000 seasons I think. The program is going in the right direction, we'll get the magic back soon enough I think.
    You got to remember, it wasn't even sold out against KU, and the roads were crappy...and we still got that loud. Yes indeed the magic is coming back.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am growing a little tired of the constant talk of The Magic being dead. Hilton Magic was there even during last year we made the tournament with Morgan as head coach. He wasn't a great coach and his last team left us all with a bad taste in our mouths but to say that the Magic has been gone for so long is not only myopic it is an insult to those of us who were there and cheered loud and proud for ISU over the past 8-10 years. C'mon folks realize that if the team is underachieving on the floor and there isn't much to cheer about then there is no Magic to be had, but one year of disappointing loss after disappointing loss does not mean that the Magic has been gone since Orr was here. Think back to the KU games against the turncoat Iowans, or the Iowa game when Fizer pronounce Larry the best coach in the state, or numerous other games over the past 5 years. Celebrate it and be glad that you get to experience it b/c of what our AD has done to bring the right coach in for our program.

And on a side note. Cyclone Alley needs to get someone in there with a nice big sign that says nothing more than "Hilton Magic."

Needed to get that off my chest hope I didn't Pi** any of you off.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    I am growing a little tired of the constant talk of The Magic being dead. Hilton Magic was there even during last year we made the tournament with Morgan as head coach. He wasn't a great coach and his last team left us all with a bad taste in our mouths but to say that the Magic has been gone for so long is not only myopic it is an insult to those of us who were there and cheered loud and proud for ISU over the past 8-10 years. C'mon folks realize that if the team is underachieving on the floor and there isn't much to cheer about then there is no Magic to be had, but one year of disappointing loss after disappointing loss does not mean that the Magic has been gone since Orr was here. Think back to the KU games against the turncoat Iowans, or the Iowa game when Fizer pronounce Larry the best coach in the state, or numerous other games over the past 5 years. Celebrate it and be glad that you get to experience it b/c of what our AD has done to bring the right coach in for our program.

And on a side note. Cyclone Alley needs to get someone in there with a nice big sign that says nothing more than "Hilton Magic."

Needed to get that off my chest hope I didn't Pi** any of you off.
    Sorry man, WM all but killed Hilton Magic. It is now back.

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 172

I think that's a little unfair to say that WM killed Hilton Magic. Granted, last season was a big disappointment, but was Hilton Magic dead his first season when we came back from 14 down to beat Texas and also beat Kansas that year? I think that LE deserves just as much blame for "killing" Hilton Magic as much as WM does with how mediocre his last two teams were.