Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

No single game tix for IOwa Game?

Only way to see Iowa game is to buy season tix? That has to be incorrect information.

That game is what gives ISU big attendance. how in the world is the stadium going to be full if the only seats are for season tix holders.

If this is true it is a very big mistake.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 27

Re: No single game tix for IOwa Game?

Maybe they are planning on something special with all those tickets... like auctioning them off. Or they will open them to NCC members sometime this summer (that is my guess.)

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 44

I assume they will put the excess on sale some time b4 the game, not sure tho'. I got my renewal info Fri., but haven't opened it yet as my daughter is having her first baby.

Last edited by candg4ever; 01-14-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flyhighcy View Post
    Only way to see Iowa game is to buy season tix? That has to be incorrect information.

That game is what gives ISU big attendance. how in the world is the stadium going to be full if the only seats are for season tix holders.

If this is true it is a very big mistake.
    See, that's exactly what I thought when I read about that. I'm sure that the information is correct, because it's straight from the Athletic Department, but I don't think it's a good idea at all.

When I first read it, I thought, "Hmm, that's a really strange idea. Well, maybe it could work. After all, Pollard knows what he's doing." But after I thought about it more, I realized that there is absolutely no way we're going to pack the Jack with season ticket holders. It's just not going to happen; not this season. I realize that yes, there are definitely some people who will buy season tickets just to get a ticket to the Iowa game, but there are a hell of a lot more people who would normally just buy a ticket to the Iowa game and definitely are NOT going to buy season tickets to get into that one game. The opportunity cost is too high for those folks. Not that it probably needs to be said, but unless an addendum is made, this is going to hit the student section pretty hard. We have lots and lots of student season ticket holders, but we also sell a ton of single-game tickets to students.

I really don't WANT to think that this is a poor choice. I like Pollard a lot- as most of us do- and really trust him in making progressive decisions that will ultimately benefit the program and our university. But still, I can't help but wonder how he's going to work his magic on this one. It seems pretty straightforward, and that's what I'm afraid of. I don't want 35,000 people in JTS against Iowa just because we wanted to sell more season tickets.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

it's jamie's plan to inflate the number of season ticket holders...personally i love the plan

ISU ROCKS!!!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

I can't see how they won't release single game tickets few weeks before the game. The numbers just don't add up.

JTS holds around 55,000
    Season ticket sales (speculated max) 35,000

So that leaves 20,000, surely we're not giving Iowa around 20,000 for their fans.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

do you really think jamie will let JTS stadium be half empty for the iowa game?...the tickets will probably be released to season ticket holders a month before the game

ISU ROCKS!!!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 60

I think it is a great move to sell more season tickets, obviously. With end zone seats available for 150, there are a lot of people out there who would probably buy those just for the Iowa game. However, there is no way we sell 55000 season tickets.

I'm guessing that fans will be able to purchase Iowa tickets in mini-packs with one or two of the games that will not be as popular. I know that similar things have been done elsewhere to boost attendance at games that would otherwise draw a smaller crowd.

I can also see an exception made for students. Honestly, I think it is just a move to make sure that any Iowa fans that want to slip into the game have to drop as much money as possible. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHutch View Post
    it's jamie's plan to inflate the number of season ticket holders...personally i love the plan
    I understand the intention. I certainly can't argue against that. However, I am quite concerned- rightfully so, I believe- that the number of extra season ticket holders we add above last year's total is not going to come even close to replacing the number of fans we're going to lose at that game who would normally buy a single ticket and cannot or will not buy season tickets. In simpler terms:

We sold 30,000 season tickets last year.
    If we sell 36,000 season tickets this year, but lose 9,000 fans from the game because there are no single tickets, then I don't really consider that a success.

Yes, it is probably a financial success for the immediate time being, but when the stadium is half empty, it's not energetic at all. It proves for a poor gameday atmosphere, and is poor support for our players. If the team doesn't do well and the atmosphere isn't special, many people won't bother to travel to games later in the season, thus making the stadium emptier and exacerbating the problem. I don't know about others, but I know that many students buy single-game tickets to the Iowa game, discover how much they like going to the games, and go buy season tickets. Those are people who are not ordinarily interested in sporting events; they are only drawn to the game because it's against our biggest rival and the entire campus and city is talking about it for a week straight. Ultimately, this has farther-reaching financial ripples than it appears on the surface.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.

Victory before honor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 16

I am sure single-game tickets will be going on sale shortly before the season.

The only way to guarantee you have a ticket to the Iowa game is to buy a season ticket.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

actually endzone seats are only 125 :D

ISU ROCKS!!!!

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

with OU, UT, and IU in town...125 is a bargain

ISU ROCKS!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Second reason of concern:
    A sigificant benefit of NCC membership has been the ability to purchase a few extra tickets to each of these games (IA/NE), prior to public sale.

At this point, NCC members cannot order these.

I would assume, if they do release them later, it will come to NCC members first. If not, for many it could something that they feel they are being jerked around with regarding.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 130

They are not going to allow ONLY the season ticket holders into the game. They are allowing ONLY season ticket holders to buy the extra tickets for the game. Figure 30,000 season tickets +5,000 Iowa fans buying from IU. That means 20,000 seats that OUR season tickets holders decide what butts go in them.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    That means 20,000 seats that OUR season tickets holders decide what butts go in them.
    Right, that's what concerns me. We have essentially told the season ticket-holders, "Okay, you have control of 40% of the seats in the stadium. Go out and sell those tickets for us! It's your responsibility now."

I have serious doubts that every single season holder is going to go out and recruit people to buy up every ticket that they have available. Some will do that, yes, but not many, and definitely not most. With this setup, we don't need MOST season holders to do it, we need ALL of them to do it.

True and Valiant

Victory before honor.