Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

Taylor's play vs. KU

Lots of things contributed to our loss today, and even so, we played great. And I know a lot of things have been discussed already on here about the game. Free throws, free throws, free throws. And as coloradoclone pointed out in another thread (via fran frashilla), "Michael Taylor is the kind of player that can keep both teams in the game"

Many of you know how much I love and hate Mike Taylor at the same time. Our most electric player, and sometimes the most detrimental. I'm sure many of you checked out the box score, and my stat of the day is 4-16. Taylor launched 16 from the arc, and made 4. We could have Dodie in the game taking that many shots and he would do better. Granted, sometimes we need that fire from Taylor. But 4 for 16? Or, even just sixteen? Mike had 21 points, but just about any of our top 6 or 7 guys could do that if they shot 23 shots, and 16 of them from the arc. Not to mention 8 chances at the FT line. To me, it seems that taylor is the only one on the floor who doesn't get bench time when he's not playing well, or correctly. I know we need him on the floor, but some of these decisions.... grrr. Just frustrates me a little. Coach seems to run a really tight ship, until it comes to our best scorer.

Am I on crack - being a little too silly? Somebody set me straight if i'm being a little impractical or emotional. Kinda hard to tell sometimes after many of your expectations for the season have already been exceeded. Know what I mean?

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 44

Re: Taylor's play vs. KU

true but we need the big guys down to rebound if we are going to shoot like that. Mike chose the worst time to make the shot when we had nobody to rebound and get the 2.

hard fought game they didnt give the game up in regulation which is something to look up to considering how lousy they were as a team earlier in the season.

Walk On
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 19

For the season Mike is 43.6% from the arc, Dodie is 31.4%. Dodie has played very well lately, but Mike has improved his overall play during the season also. I do think that 16 shots from deep is too many attempts for a player unless everything is dropping.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 67

While I'm not crazy about Mike Taylor's shot selection, at times it seems he's the only one willing to pull the trigger. He seems to be improving his assist/to ratio lately. We don't have a lot of other go-to scorers, so, live by the sword...

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I will echo what's already been said. Sometimes we need someone to step up and take or create a shot. Mike is the go to guy. Good or bad! It is kinda amazing that Mac lets him get away with some of it. Hell, even Francilla mentioned it during the telecast. Something along the lines that Taylor has a free pass to do what he wants without ramifications. All I can say is that Mac knows what he is doing and if it was affecting the team too much or in ways he didn't want, he WOULD crack down.

One other thing to consider. BB can be a mental thing. If Mac benched Taylor every time he took a bad shot he might tighten up or be hesitant too shoot at all. Next thing you know our best offensive player is ineffective. Maybe Mac knows Mike's psyche and lets him get away with a little extra because he doesn't want to mess up a good (or bad) thing. Who knows ... but I agree it is both exciting and frustrating at the same time.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 125

I think mike has really calmed downed and tightened his game up lately. He is making less bone-headed turnovers, and while his shot selection could improve (and by the looks of things probably will) he has been one of our overall best players, and frankly I think we would have a couple more notches in the loss column (especially Minnesota) without him. Fran's quote is very accurate, but I think his fire and determination are more good than bad for this team. You can't accuse Mike Taylor of not leaving everything on the court, and I think he gives our best shot at winning when he's in his groove.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand he's going to have to take a lot of shots on this team but some of those shots were obviously a little rough. And I'll give him credit because he did make some of them but ones like the pullup three we could do without.

One thing I don't understand are all of the posts saying he's better than Stinson based on yesterday's game. I mean, that was pretty much your vintage Curtis game right there. A lot of points, a ton of shots, a few turnovers, but keeping the team in the game. To me they're both exciting players that will take a ton of shots and turn the ball over and that's just what you're going to get.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

As I posted in a separate thread about Mike...

Mike has turned the ball over a ton this season. His average per game on the season is 5.4.

However, in conference play, he's averaging 4.3. Just as Jiri is getting praise for getting better, Mike should too.

Also, he's scoring 16.4 points a game on the year. In conference play...20 per game. Another improvement.

I've been a person who's ripped on Mike...and I will be critical when it's warranted. I'll also recognize his improvements...which couldn't have come at a better time.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Taylor has a shooter's mentality, much like Barry Stevens. He knows sooner or later they will start falling, unfortunately yesterday was a tough day for him. KU was playing tough interior defense yesterday so Mike had to be the go to guy. I'd like to see Rashon step up more offensively. Until we recruit more go to guys, Mike is probably the best we have.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 627
    Given: 394

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestZest View Post
    Lots of things contributed to our loss today, and even so, we played great. And I know a lot of things have been discussed already on here about the game. Free throws, free throws, free throws. And as coloradoclone pointed out in another thread (via fran frashilla), "Michael Taylor is the kind of player that can keep both teams in the game"

Many of you know how much I love and hate Mike Taylor at the same time. Our most electric player, and sometimes the most detrimental. I'm sure many of you checked out the box score, and my stat of the day is 4-16. Taylor launched 16 from the arc, and made 4. We could have Dodie in the game taking that many shots and he would do better. Granted, sometimes we need that fire from Taylor. But 4 for 16? Or, even just sixteen? Mike had 21 points, but just about any of our top 6 or 7 guys could do that if they shot 23 shots, and 16 of them from the arc. Not to mention 8 chances at the FT line. To me, it seems that taylor is the only one on the floor who doesn't get bench time when he's not playing well, or correctly. I know we need him on the floor, but some of these decisions.... grrr. Just frustrates me a little. Coach seems to run a really tight ship, until it comes to our best scorer.

Am I on crack - being a little too silly? Somebody set me straight if i'm being a little impractical or emotional. Kinda hard to tell sometimes after many of your expectations for the season have already been exceeded. Know what I mean?
    Fortunately Mike has the guts to force the action. If he was not around, we would again become sluggish. Dodie needs to become an earlier go to guy. Hey, I wait for Rahshon to go to his next level of development in shooting. Let him shoot some 10 footers and then follow the ball. Rahshon, Mike, Jiri, anbd Wesley have a high release point, so I expect us to improve our shooting. Yes, we lost th game because we did a terrible job of shooting freethrows.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-15-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The argument that "other players should be taking Mike's shots" is not vaild because of one fact: NO ONE else on the team has the ability to take the shots Mike does! He gets off shots that very few in the country can get off. He's THAT athletic with an insane ability to drain shots no matter how unbalanced he is (and has anyone noticed how high he gets on his jumpshots - it's amazing). As Gmac has explained many many times, Taylor does indeed have the green light because without it, we don't have a lot of offense and we certainly don't have electricity. Mike is an exciting player (one of the most exciting I've ever watched) and until we get a good PG in there to take pressure off him, I want him to take 15 threes a game, because some games he'll make 9 or 10 of em, even if some games he only makes 1 or 2. And as odd as that sounds, it truly is the best option.

(And as someone mentioned above...watch the ESPN replay. Fran does a great job of describing Gmac's approach with Mike Taylor. Couldn't have said it better)

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Bottom line: without Mike Taylor we have problems scoring. He's been the most consistent scorer and only guy on the team that can create shots basically. When he's out of the game we have struggled at times.

I don't like all the turnovers either but he's really improved on that and you can't tell me you don't get excited when he's draining 3 after 3 in a game? He's an energy guy, this team needs a guy like that because it gets the rest of the team fired up when he's on his game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 90

the thing I don't get about Taylor is how he can be so good and so bad in the same game. His first 4 3's were horrible, and they were not really hard shots compared to some that we have seen him make.

Add to that his scary FT shooting for the game and it is a wonder it was that close a game. Of course I don't get the FT thing with this team at all. Taylor, Juri, Dodie, Grey, Johnson and Johnson, even Clark are all good shots! Hopefully it will all work out and the Clones will have a couple amazingly good FT shooting games in the next few games.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kuney1 View Post
    Taylor has a shooter's mentality, much like Barry Stevens. He knows sooner or later they will start falling, unfortunately yesterday was a tough day for him. KU was playing tough interior defense yesterday so Mike had to be the go to guy. I'd like to see Rashon step up more offensively. Until we recruit more go to guys, Mike is probably the best we have.

Actually, Mike Taylor has a SCORER'S mentality. Jake Sullivan had a SHOOTER'S mentality.

We are a defensive and rebounding oriented team, we don't have a lot of good offensive options right now. Mike is the only guy on the team that can create shots, for himself and his teammates. He has to have numbers for us to have any chance, so I understand what Greg is doing with him.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 428

Mike Taylor is playing PG instead of his true position.

More blame can be places on McIntosh for sucking offensively. You konw its bad when your 'PG' doesn't even get to bring the ball up the floor a lot of the time.

Taylor has created much more offense than any ISU player. Im sure Coach Mac isn't an idiot in giving him some freedom.