Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 3

Skiing and Helmets. Whats your opinion?

I love to ski. I usually get about 20 days a year in colorado. I rarely wear a helmet. After the accident with Natasha Richardson, Canada ski resorts might make a helmet mandatory law.

What do you other skiers think about a mandatory helmet law?

My personal opinion might be helmets mandatory in terrain parks but otherwise ski at your own risk.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Re: Skiing and Helmets. Whats your opinion?

I think its fine for Canadians. Considering states have varying degrees (strict, lax, or none) of motorcycle and bicycle laws, for skiing I think its ridiculous. Caveat, I've been skiing since I was 5.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 30

I dont think it should be mandatory, but I wear a helmet when I am snowboarding now.

The last trip to colorado, I caught the front edge on a mogul and slammed my head into a rock. It was so hard that it cracked my helmet. If I had not been wearing it I may have died or at the very least had a concussion. I highly recommend helmets now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I don't ski any longer, but did through my younger years and never once wore a helmet.

What happened is tragic. But what we're hearing now is knee jerk reactions. Not dis-similar to when that AAA base coach was killed a year or two ago. There was talk about extending the nets down the foul lines to protect the fans, so on and so forth. In the end, they made the coaches wear helmets, and that's it.

Someday soon, someone will look at the numbers and realize that more people probably die from bee stings in Canada every year, than blunt force trauma on the slopes.

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

I won't wear a helmet when I ski or ride a bike.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 1,011

I wear a helmet when snowboarding, never when skiing.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I don't ski any longer, but did through my younger years and never once wore a helmet.

What happened is tragic. But what we're hearing now is knee jerk reactions. Not dis-similar to when that AAA base coach was killed a year or two ago. There was talk about extending the nets down the foul lines to protect the fans, so on and so forth. In the end, they made the coaches wear helmets, and that's it.

Someday soon, someone will look at the numbers and realize that more people probably die from bee stings in Canada every year, than blunt force trauma on the slopes.
    This.

Yes, skiing/snowboarding with helmets has been an issue on the rise lately, but the only reason why it's being discussed to such great detail/being legislated on now is simply because of Natasha Richardson. Is it a good idea to wear a helmet skiing? Probably as good of an idea as it is for me to wear a helmet when I bicycle, which I don't (although I'll probably consider it more now that I have a daughter, as I want to be a good example to her). Should it be legislated on? No opinion.

Then again, perhaps wearing a helmet for everyday activities should be made mandatory - I once gave myself a concussion getting ready to take a nap on a couch in the MWL commons. The couch was pushed a little further under the stairs than I realized, and when I threw myself into the couch I whipped my head back and it bounced off the concrete, knocking myself out. Then again, I'd probably rather deal with the day or two that I had to deal with the effects of being concussed than trade in my dignity and wear a helmet daily for the rest of my life and not worry about ever obtaining a head injury ever again...

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 03-20-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,811
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 44

Heard a stat on the radio yesterday that said skiing is way down the line for dangerous sports. Even behind swimming. This is just one of those incidents where the vocal minority will be chiming out now because one of their beloved stars lost their lives. I'm not trying to be some moral dictator here, but it really kicks me in the craw when a celebrity has some kind of oddball accident and the world goes all gaga for them. Believe me, I feel for her husband and family, but no more for them than I would any other person who died needlessly in the world today.

None the less, I probably would wear a helmet if I skied now. I just never thought of it, 10 years ago, when I was more into the sport.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

''You are 10 times more likely to become a fatality statistic bicycling than skiing, 100 times more likely in water sports,'' said John Frew, president of Colorado Ski Country USA, a group that represents ski areas. Noting that 300 Americans die every year from falls in bathtubs, he said of skiing's critics: ''Maybe they should quit taking showers.''

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet bicycling is a mystery to me.

I bike semi-frequently. Road and off-road. My bike club travels internationally every other year for multi-week treks - so I get some miles in.

With the accidents I've seen - I don't even think twice about strapping on a helmet.

And no - nobody is "that good" of a biker. Most accidents are out of the biker's control.

(end public service message )

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 377

Why anyone wouldn't wear a helmet bicycling is a mystery to me.

I bike semi-frequently. Road and off-road. My bike club travels internationally every other year for multi-week treks - so I get some miles in.

With the accidents I've seen - I don't even think twice about strapping on a helmet.

And no - nobody is "that good" of a biker. Most accidents are out of the biker's control.

(end public service message )
    I understand your point. It's also been about 10 years since I've bicycled on a regular basis (for all I know my $100-at-the-time bike is still locked up in front of Helser, and I've been graduated for almost 6 years), and my views on helmet-wearing have changed since January 8th. Just don't think it should be forced upon anyone.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26

I'm learning to snowboard, and a helmet is a must in my book. I took a hard fall the first time I was out and pretty sure I gave myself a mild concussion. I can only imagine what it would be like if I hadn't had one on.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Am a snowboarder, former skier, who has never worn a helmet. I think it should be a personal judgement and not something that is regulated. What another source of revenue for states to collect, I will however, even though I'm a "badass", most likely purchase a helmet for next season...out-of-bounds is my love and I've flown through some pretty insane terrain around the globe. I still find it hard to believe this accident occurred on an easy slope with an instructor. My mother went skiing when she was pregnant with my lil sister, granted she knows how, but still its hard to see how it happened (NR's accident) with the instructor and all.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26

I was in Red Lodge, Montana last weekend snowboarding. A friend and I were on our way to the vehicle to make some sandwiches for lunch. Some tool decided to make some comment towards us. We were both carrying our helmets and he said "Hey guys! just coming from the safety meeting?" This was coming from a guy getting into a car wearing a Lebron James Jersey on a mountain. All I could say was. Better get in your Ford Taurus and hustle to your game tonight Lebron. I know a weak comeback, but I still find it amazing how people can make unprovoked, dumb, rude comments to people they don't even know.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,446
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post
    I love to ski. I usually get about 20 days a year in colorado. I rarely wear a helmet. After the accident with Natasha Richardson, Canada ski resorts might make a helmet mandatory law.

What do you other skiers think about a mandatory helmet law?

My personal opinion might be helmets mandatory in terrain parks but otherwise ski at your own risk.
    I didn't wear one until I worked for a season at the clinic at the base of Copper Mountain. Saw a lot of bad **** that was preventable. I ALWAYS wear one now. You never know when your ski disengages from your boot, unexpected rocks come through, other skiiers boarders out of control or you just slip and fall. Not worth being dead or stupid the rest of your life for something as cheap and comfortable as a ski helmet.