Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Spring Game

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 29,789, Level: 53
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,061
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    gocy444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    29,789
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Spring Game

    After watching Florida's spring game i got really excited for football. I think this was because they played an actual game. When i went to the ISU game it was basically a practice. Does anyone know if CPR will play a game or have a glorified practice?


    B.F.S.R.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 143,441, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,384
    Points
    143,441
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Spring Game

    Think it's supposed to be more game like.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 85,471, Level: 90
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,105
    Points
    85,471
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 164

    Re: Spring Game

    I really hope its a more gamelike then a practice. Should be a good crowd this year assuming good weather. It's VEISHEA weekend, lot of people in town. I didn't go to last years spring game, I chose to go to VEISHEA instead which was on a separate weekend (so I am very pumped they're on the same one this year, so no choosing.) The two before that I went to were very gamelike and while there was obviously teaching going on, it wasn't much like a practice. That's what they have practice for, not spring games. They are more for the fans and to give the kids gamelike experience, it's really important for the young guys to feel game speed.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

    Re: Spring Game

    Will we only get to sit on the west side for this game because of the east side renovations? I hope the jumbotron works this year.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 109,665, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,179
    Points
    109,665
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 99

    Re: Spring Game

    the weather lately has me optimistic for grilling and tailgating. i think i still have some of those packs of free Jacksonville's they were handing out towards the end of last year's schedule.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik4Cy View Post
    I really hope its a more gamelike then a practice. Should be a good crowd this year assuming good weather. It's VEISHEA weekend, lot of people in town. I didn't go to last years spring game, I chose to go to VEISHEA instead which was on a separate weekend (so I am very pumped they're on the same one this year, so no choosing.) The two before that I went to were very gamelike and while there was obviously teaching going on, it wasn't much like a practice. That's what they have practice for, not spring games. They are more for the fans and to give the kids gamelike experience, it's really important for the young guys to feel game speed.
    I really hope it has a quasi-gameday atmosphere since I'll be missing other Veishea events for the 'game.'



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 432,923, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,826
    Points
    432,923
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    the weather lately has me optimistic for grilling and tailgating. i think i still have some of those packs of free Jacksonville's they were handing out towards the end of last year's schedule.
    Johnsonville's?? Or what am I missing?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 117,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,490
    Points
    117,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 59

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Johnsonville's?? Or what am I missing?
    Jacksonville's have a bit more spice to them.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 17,958, Level: 40
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,325
    Points
    17,958
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by gocy444 View Post
    After watching Florida's spring game i got really excited for football. I think this was because they played an actual game. When i went to the ISU game it was basically a practice. Does anyone know if CPR will play a game or have a glorified practice?
    That's one of the reasons I didn't go to the spring game last year or the year before and when my BS alarm about Chizik went from a mild clang to a more rapid ding, ding, ding.

    He didn't want to talk about individual players to reporters, information fans crave, then he doesn't want to play a real spring game, which should be a reward for the diehards. He wasn't a very fan-friendly coach, which wouldn't have amounted to a hill of beans if he had been a better coach and won a few more games.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 165,941, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    jaretac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Frigidaire
    Posts
    7,634
    Points
    165,941
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Spring Game

    I know why everyone likes the game like spring game, but that is one area that I agree with Chizik on. You only have so many times to practice, so why not make it worth while and do the spring game in a way that would be of greatest benefit to the team. If the team will benefit most with a game style setting, go for it, otherwise, do the spring game however you need.

    After all, what really matters is how we play in the games this fall.


    Last edited by jaretac; 03-19-2009 at 12:12 AM.

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,843, Level: 92
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,334
    Points
    88,843
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I know why everyone likes the game like spring game, but that is one area that I agree with Chizik on. You only have so many times to practice, so why not make it worth while and do the spring game in a way that would be of greatest benefit to the team. If the team will benefit most with a game style setting, go for it, otherwise, do the spring game however you need.

    After all, what really matters is how we play in the games this fall.
    Good point Lets hope game-style spring game is what is best for the team.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 59,751, Level: 75
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,563
    Points
    59,751
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 110

    Re: Spring Game

    Right now I'd watch linemen do footwork drills for an hour just to get some football. Then again, I do actually watch combine coverage when it's on and I'm not busy.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I know why everyone likes the game like spring game, but that is one area that I agree with Chizik on. You only have so many times to practice, so why not make it worth while and do the spring game in a way that would be of greatest benefit to the team. If the team will benefit most with a game style setting, go for it, otherwise, do the spring game however you need.

    After all, what really matters is how we play in the games this fall.
    How'd that work out for Geno?



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 27,196, Level: 50
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyco2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,176
    Points
    27,196
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    How'd that work out for Geno?
    Well, game style didn't exactly work out for Dan, either.

    Happy medium?



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Spring Game

    Quote Originally Posted by cyco2000 View Post
    Well, game style didn't exactly work out for Dan, either.

    Happy medium?
    I would theorize that whatever form the spring game takes it will have virtually no effect on the teams performance in the fall.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM