Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 161

ISU and Final Fours/ Gatens vs HB

We all have heard how ISU will always struggle to become a consistent national power in football. Resource and recruiting wise, there is just too much to overcome. But I refuse to believe in basketball that it can not happen. In basketball you only need to have 2-3 great players surrounded by 5-6 good players, and you have four classes to distribute this over. So each year you need to convince roughly two kids, one being all-conference type, to come to Iowa State. Not surprisingly, we have been close to this just in the last decade plus (I still think we were 5 minutes away from a NC in 2000).
    The momentum and achievement of those situations were both lost due to coaching situations plagued by the basketball equivalent of terminal illnesses (TF rumors and the LE saga). We still have not recovered. Coach Gmac has endured a perfect storm of problems, some admittedly magnified by his recruiting decisions. However, they now know it all starts with talent, and there is no reason why the success won't happen again. We have good facilities and fan support (think how much better it will be when we get back to winning).
    Also, has anyone ever thought about the bitter-sweetness of HB being such an outstanding young-man and basketball player. HB deserves all he gets, and I wish him nothing but the best. But compare him to Gatens at Iowa. Both where raised in university towns, and cheered for the hometown university. It appeared like both ISU and Iowa had great homegrown talent for the future, something rare for the two schools. Gatens becomes a four-star type, a great and more importantly, feasible commitment. HB becomes a top-5 type and a certainly more challenging recruit. Admittedly only from an ISU basketball fan point of view, this seems like bad luck. That said, I hope Gmac can help HB realize that players like him are the reasons why a program competes for a national championship. With HB at ISU, more top flight players would follow (Randle, Staten, etc.)
    How do people feel about GMac having players "reassess" if ISU is the right place for them? In general, I am against running off players, but bottom line is we need more high quality players and the 'ships are locked up.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 03-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

Re: ISU and Final Fours/ Gatens vs HB

I hope Gmac can help HB realize that players like him are the reasons why a program competes for a national championship. With HB at ISU, more top flight players would follow
    ~~~~~~~~

I hope Barnes realizes that, even with an average coach, on an average team, players like Brakins can come to ISU and still get national attention to get into the NBA.

PS: Gatens exceeded my expectations; the kid had a great year and can flat out score. His dad was a 6foot-8 Clodhopper who could barely dunk and once got booed by the Iowa crowd....he also was tacky enough to play the Iowa Fight song as he and his new bride turned from alter after their wedding vows.

Last edited by Go2Guy; 03-17-2009 at 07:06 PM.
    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 161

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post

I hope Barnes realizes that, even with an average coach, on an average team, players like Brakins can come to ISU and still get national attention to get into the NBA.
    That too, but HB doesn't appear to be all about the NBA. I think he knows that in regards to the NBA,there are pluses/minuses for going to established powers and to programs that he would make into a national power. No matter where you go, the NBA will find you.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

No matter where you go, the NBA will find you.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Exactly!

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

PS: Gatens exceeded my expectations; the kid had a great year and can flat out score. His dad was a 6foot-8 Clodhopper who could barely dunk and once got booed by the Iowa crowd....he also was tacky enough to play the Iowa Fight song as he and his new bride turned from alter after their wedding vows.
    Hey, be nice- I plan on playing Iowa State Fights at MY wedding!

When I was down at Oklahoma State last summer, there was a wedding going on in front of their student union, and right after the reverend said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce to you Mr and Mrs Whoever", the OSU fight song started playing over the PA system, and they high-stepped down the aisle. Apparently they met in marching band.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

~~~~~~~~~
    I have no problem with that; as long as it's not "We're gonna fight, fight, fight for EIEIOWAAA...."

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

~~~~~~~~~
    I've told my wife to have "Fights" played at my funeral, full on version including Fanfare. Alas I will never know if she abides by my wishes