Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 102

Optimism, Pessimism, and "Realism"...

Ok, tensions have been running high in this forum for a long time as people defend, support, criticize, or complain about the direction of the basketball program. Accusations fly both ways, and those with a generally negative view on where the basketball program is/is going have been accused of "always expecting failure". There are some people who just are negative for negativity's sake, and thats just as ridiculous as saying next year will be on par with 2000. I think there is a view out there that is more "realistic" and it can be good or bad, depending on the circumstances. I don't assert that whichever category you fall into says anything about your intelligence or knowledge of the game. Obviously this is just my opinion, and anyone is free to disagree. I just feel that the term "realist" has just become another synonym for "pessimist" and I think there is a difference.

Optimist/Kool-Aid drinker: This is the guy that thinks we're going to be awesome no matter what. 4-13 in conference this year you say? Pssh, we're tourney bound next year.

Pessimist/Debbie Downer: This is the guy that thinks the sky is falling/grass is always greener on the other side. Can't find the good in anything. Ever. Everything is always ****ed, and there is no solution. Wonder why he even follows sports. Arnaud threw a pick? Tiller should be starting.

Realist: This guy can be optimistic or pessimistic. Their view is based on what has recently happened. If things are going well, and it looks like there is potential for improvement, they'll predict success. If things aren't going well, and the team is playing badly, they don't expect things to magically change overnight. If things are going very well, or very bad, can be mistaken for the optimist or the pessimist.

I think I'm a realist. In 2006, coming off a 7-5 year in FB, with lots of returning talent I thought we would go 8-4. Seems reasonable. In 2005, coming off an NCAA tourney in bball, and returning our 2 best players, I thought we would be back there. When at the end of said season, we hired a hot coach out of a smaller conference, I thought we would be playing better ball in 3 years. Where we're at right now, I'm having a tough time predicting a big improvement next year, when there just wasn't that much improvement throughout the season, and we may lose our best player.

Maybe I'm a downer, but I'm just trying to be as objective as possible. I'm optimistic in the sense that I hope for better, but I guess I don't expect it. As far as football goes, for example, I'm optimistic because the new staff seems to be making all the right moves.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 03-17-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Optimism, Pessimism, and "Realism"...

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Ok, tensions have been running high in this forum for a long time as people defend, support, criticize, or complain about the direction of the basketball program. Accusations fly both ways, and those with a generally negative view on where the basketball program is/is going have been accused of "always expecting failure". There are some people who just are negative for negativity's sake, and thats just as ridiculous as saying next year will be on par with 2000. I think there is a view out there that is more "realistic" and it can be good or bad, depending on the circumstances. I don't assert that whichever category you fall into says anything about your intelligence or knowledge of the game. Obviously this is just my opinion, and anyone is free to disagree. I just feel that the term "realist" has just become another synonym for "pessimist" and I think there is a difference.

Optimist/Kool-Aid drinker: This is the guy that thinks we're going to be awesome no matter what. 4-13 in conference this year you say? Pssh, we're tourney bound next year.

Pessimist/Debbie Downer: This is the guy that thinks the sky is falling/grass is always greener on the other side. Can't find the good in anything. Ever. Everything is always ****ed, and there is no solution. Wonder why he even follows sports. Arnaud threw a pick? Tiller should be starting.

Realist: This guy can be optimistic or pessimistic. Their view is based on what has recently happened. If things are going well, and it looks like there is potential for improvement, they'll predict success. If things aren't going well, and the team is playing badly, they don't expect things to magically change overnight. If things are going very well, or very bad, can be mistaken for the optimist or the pessimist.

I think I'm a realist. In 2006, coming off a 7-5 year in FB, with lots of returning talent I thought we would go 8-4. Seems reasonable. In 2005, coming off an NCAA tourney in bball, and returning our 2 best players, I thought we would be back there. When at the end of said season, we hired a hot coach out of a smaller conference, I thought we would be playing better ball in 3 years. Where we're at right now, I'm having a tough time predicting a big improvement next year, when there just wasn't that much improvement throughout the season, and we may lose our best player.

Maybe I'm a downer, but I'm just trying to be honest w/the situation I see.
    Well, said. For what it's worth, I'd put myself in the realist department.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd call my self an optimistic-realist. I don't believe we'll be great next year but I tend to think we'll improve and have the potential to go to the tourney IF CB stays.

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Maybe I'm a downer, but I'm just trying to be honest w/the situation I see.
    I predict this thread won't go more than 3 pages. It makes too much sense.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyco2000 View Post
    I predict this thread won't go more than 3 pages. It makes too much sense.
    Great call!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 15

According to this I am a "kool-aid" drinker. Though I think it is realistic that we can be a bubble team next year with Brackins.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

Optimist/Kool-Aid drinker

This. Why be anything else with all the other troubles in the world?

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

The term "realist" is so tough to pinpoint because it's difficult to admit that someone is thinking more realistic than you are. For example, I don't think that anyone would say "Man, you are being so much more realistic than me, what was I thinking?"

In sports I'm not sure there is a true definition of realist but according to your classifications, I think's that's where I'd fall.

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside all people. He said, 'My son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.'

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: 'Which wolf wins?'

The old Cherokee simply replied, 'The one you feed.'

I’m an optimist.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 287

Great thread. I hate being called a non-fan just for taking a realistic view on the team.

I took some crap for saying we would finish 15-16 in basketball last year and 4-8 in football.

I guess I ended up being optimistic overall :)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Optimist/Kool-Aid drinker

This. Why be anything else with all the other troubles in the world?
    Personally, if I get my hopes up for a bowl season, or tournament, and there isn't much on the court/field to legitimately back up those expectations, I just get more ****** when things don't go well. By tempering my expectations to things I can't control, I'm happier when they go well, and less disappointed when they don't.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 03-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I must be a Debbie Downer. As a KU fan I wanted Mangino fired because he had a losing record in the conference every year. The very next year he went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. I was hoping Oklahoma State would offer Self money he couldn't turn down because he was unable to ever get a team to the Final Four. The next year he won a National Championship. I wouldn't make a very good AD.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 694

IMO there aren't such things as realists.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    IMO there aren't such things as realists.
    There's some truth here. That's why I put it in quotes. I think there are folks who think we're going to be good no matter what, or bad no matter what, and some who are more objective. Thats all. I think "realism" is striving for objectivity...

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 694

There's some truth here. That's why I put it in quotes. I think there are folks who think we're going to be good no matter what, or bad no matter what, and some who are more objective. Thats all. I think "realism" is striving for objectivity...
    You do have a point. I think a happy-medium is the closest you can get to "realism". But its a matter of opinion. I'm more optimistic, but i keep some balance and realize were struggling and there will be struggles. What really gets me are the people who are constantly negative (no matter what the situation), and who have to put the optimists down or the ones who want to enjoy athletics even though we're struggling.