Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Why the play in game sucks

    Some of you may seen my post the other day about how much of a sham the play-in game is, and why I have that opinion. Not that this opinion holds any more water than mine, but I think it's very well written. That the NCAA decides to hold this game is a joke.

    The play-in game is played out; NCAA should go back to 64 teams - The Dagge... - NCAA Hoops - Rivals.com



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 46,834, Level: 66
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    PGreen ISU '92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    2,148
    Points
    46,834
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    I agree. Part of the beauty of the tournament is that North Carolina has to win just as many games as Radford to be NCAA champions. I don't like that two teams have to win one extra game.



  3. #3
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    I agree that the play in game is a sham. A slap in the face of the two teams forced to play in it.

    But that article is rather lame.

    "The play-in game takes away the dream of being Cinderella for one team. The loser of tonight's game won't get the chance to take in the excitement of playing in the first round. They won't be on the same floor as Tyler Hansbrough or DeJuan Blair. They won't get a chance, however remote, to become the first No. 16 seed to beat a No. 1 seed. And isn't that what the NCAA tournament is all about? "

    How is that exactly? Win tonight and you get that very chance. I get the idea that you may say that the loser isn't really part of the NCAA's at all - but rather just part of the scam that is the play-in. But you win, you DO get the chance to be the 16 that slays the 1. And honestly, if you can't win this game - what are your chances to accomplish that feat anyway?

    If they are going to keep it - they should make it the auto-bids from the WAC and MWC - since they caused this mess in the first place. But the NCAA's should go back to 64 and an at large removed.

    However I issue this prediction. They do that - and it's an air-tight, cinch, lock that ISU will be on the bubble that very first tourney and wind up on the outside looking in. And for the first time, it will somehow be universally accepted that we were team #65. Afterall, we are Iowa State.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 03-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 260,077, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,821
    Points
    260,077
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    I actually like the play-in game, because it gives those two schools a primetime TV slot. That never, ever happens for them.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 40,847, Level: 62
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    clones26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,584
    Points
    40,847
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 33

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I actually like the play-in game, because it gives those two schools a primetime TV slot. That never, ever happens for them.
    Agreed, plus it gives me an extra game to watch! I cant wait until Thursday & Friday...both days off.


    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra


    @cyfert26 on Twitter

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I agree that the play in game is a sham. A slap in the face of the two teams forced to play in it.

    But that article is rather lame.

    "The play-in game takes away the dream of being Cinderella for one team. The loser of tonight's game won't get the chance to take in the excitement of playing in the first round. They won't be on the same floor as Tyler Hansbrough or DeJuan Blair. They won't get a chance, however remote, to become the first No. 16 seed to beat a No. 1 seed. And isn't that what the NCAA tournament is all about? "

    How is that exactly? Win tonight and you get that very chance. I get the idea that you may say that the loser isn't really part of the NCAA's at all - but rather just part of the scam that is the play-in. But you win, you DO get the chance to be the 16 that slays the 1. And honestly, if you can't win this game - what are your chances to accomplish that feat anyway?

    If they are going to keep it - the should make it the auto-bids from the WAC and MWC - since they caused this mess in the first place.
    I think his point is that it shouldn't come down to this for these two teams in the first place. Both of these teams did what they had to get into the tournament by winning their conference tournament, and while they both would have been a 16 anyway, it doesn't make sense for the NCAA to kill one of them prematurely.

    It would be so easy for the NCAA to eliminate an at-large bid and make it fair for everyone, to give everyone a fair shake, but they decided that making money was more important than being fair.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I actually like the play-in game, because it gives those two schools a primetime TV slot. That never, ever happens for them.
    Do you think that whatever teams loses this game will be happy to have been on primetime TV?



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Do you think that whatever teams loses this game will be happy to have been on primetime TV?
    All publicity is good publicity.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 143,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,385
    Points
    143,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    It's not a playin game. It's a tournament game. It also gives 16 seed teams a chance to win a game. I have no problem with it whatsoever.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 260,077, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,821
    Points
    260,077
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Do you think that whatever teams loses this game will be happy to have been on primetime TV?
    I don't know. Is it better to get slain by 30 at 10:30 AM in a game nobody watches or cares about? There are arguments that can go both ways.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    It's not a playin game. It's a tournament game. It also gives 16 seed teams a chance to win a game. I have no problem with it whatsoever.
    It is a play in game, and it only gives one team a chance to be a 16 seed, the other team gets to go home without ever having been a part of the dance, despite doing what the NCAA requires.

    It's a cash grab for the NCAA and nothing more, but nobody cares because it's 2 schools that no one has ever heard of.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 69,389, Level: 81
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    TarHeelHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Des Moines
    Posts
    8,615
    Points
    69,389
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I don't know. Is it better to get slain by 30 at 10:30 AM in a game nobody watches or cares about? There are arguments that can go both ways.
    I think it would be better to have the chance to be the first 16 to take down a 1, and there is no way that game will be on at 1030 in the morning.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 143,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,385
    Points
    143,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    It is a play in game, and it only gives one team a chance to be a 16 seed, the other team gets to go home without ever having been a part of the dance, despite doing what the NCAA requires.

    It's a cash grab for the NCAA and nothing more, but nobody cares because it's 2 schools that no one has ever heard of.
    The game is "opening round". Both teams are part of the NCAA tournament and get everything that goes along with it.



  14. #14
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    The game is "opening round". Both teams are part of the NCAA tournament and get everything that goes along with it.
    I don't know. The winner has to play tonight and get's a #1 seed in two or three days. Where that #1 has the whole week to prep. Likewise the other 3 #16s get the bulk of the week off.

    Everybody else plays Thurs/Fri. These guys have to play Tues. Quite possibly on the heels of a conf tourney.

    They're effectively saying "you're the two worst teams and barely deserve to be here"

    It's a slap in the face to these two teams. No way around it.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 23,059, Level: 46
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    isunorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    23,059
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Why the play in game sucks

    The game just seems unnecessary to me. They just got done winning a conference tournament in order to secure a bid to the big dance. I didn't play for one of these smaller schools, but I'm guessing part of the thrill is getting a chance to play a top team on a national stage. That chance is now taken away from one of them.

    Congratulations, Morehead State...you get to play Alabama State on Tuesday night while no one is watching. That just doesn't seem right.

    Yes, it's not going to affect the outcome of the tournament, but neither are some of the at-large bids.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM