Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Dogs: Invisible Fence

Does anybody here have an invisible fence for their dog? If so, how well does it work, and what brand is it.

I bought a house that had an invisible fence system already installed, but I don't really know anything about it. Currently I put my dog out on a tie-out, but think he would like the freedom to run around more. I'm also concerned that he'll figure out he can get out and run off.

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Re: Dogs: Invisible Fence

I used to have one for a lab. It worked great, but you have to train them. You will need to put up little flags around your yard for awhile so the dog knows where the boundaries are.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CompCy View Post
    Does anybody here have an invisible fence for their dog? If so, how well does it work, and what brand is it.

I bought a house that had an invisible fence system already installed, but I don't really know anything about it. Currently I put my dog out on a tie-out, but think he would like the freedom to run around more. I'm also concerned that he'll figure out he can get out and run off.
    I've heard alot of that. I don't have one, and won't for that very reason. If my dog gets to chasing a squirrel or rabbit, I don't think that fence will really slow her down.

My neighbor had a shorthair that used to run all over the neighborhood (crapped in my yard all the time). But he put an i-fence in himself, and that really reigned in his dog.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have one for a beagle. PetSafe. CyKline said it perfectly with the training and the flags.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

My rents have one for their dog and lets just say she found the boundary quickly. However my dad tried it first (on his leg) and found that once it starts zapping they have to get back 10ft within for it to stop. I cant remember the brand it is, but I would think with those that there can't really be that bad of a product out there.
    Overall, it is very good thing if you plan on leaving your dog out for extended amounts of time. With the German short-hair my rents have that things engine almost never stops, still trying to figure out a better way of trimming her toe-nails.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

I have had two different systems, one that was installed in the ground with wires that quick working after a while. I can't remember the brand as it was probably about 15 years ago that I installed it.

The one I use now is a wireless system, which works great. You take it home plug it in. Put the collar on the dog and you are done. I can't remember the brand name I will have to post back with that later.
    My dog had no issue finding the boundary of the yard on her own I didn't need to mark it with flags or walk her around it.

The way the system I have works is it will give the dog a warning sound when they near the boundary, if she reaches it, it will shock her. Dogs are smart and will learn very quick where they can and can't go.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

I have an invisible fence brand and it works great. They also double looped it around the yard, so it has about 8-10 feet of pain the dog would have to run through.

I have 2 German Short hairs that were trained on it at an early age - they won't even get close to it. I wish I had installed it before my last one was hit by a car. It was money well spent!!!

Trick, make sure it is charged high enough that it hurts the dog and they remember it (not high enough to do any damage though). Once they know it is there, they won't test it. Hire the Invisible Fence people to come out and work with the dog, since you have not done it before.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You have to make sure the collar is on too. We take it off the dog when he comes inside. He's made it out without the collar a few times and knows that the fence is nothing without the collar.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 97

My mom got one from Petsmart I believe and they've had it for a couple years for a black lab and it works great. They have a larger backyard so they even added some extra wire to make sure they had enough.
    They did the whole bring her around to the flags and everything and it all worked out.
    If I am throwing a ball to her, she definitely knows where the boundary is and will stop dead in her tracks if it gets close to the border.
    They are able to leave the french door open now and the dog can come and go as she pleases.

Great investment and I think now would be the time to do it since the ground is moist.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cytyler View Post
    You have to make sure the collar is on too. We take it off the dog when he comes inside. He's made it out without the collar a few times and knows that the fence is nothing without the collar.
    With my families 2 previous shorthairs we could just put the collar on without any batteries in it, and it would do good enough. Since they knew the boundaries so well. With my current shorthair last winter when I was house sitting for my parents the battery died in the collar and she found out. And once she got loose it took a while to get her back.