Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

My Take on Cyclone Basketball

I could have put this on my blog, but then probably only 20 people would read my crazy rambling....

Um, for a short look back at last year (cause that's really all we need to do), I don't think anybody was pleased with how it went down. How you view it basically depends on your view of our squad - did you think we had enough talent to succeed? If you did, then it was a disappointment. If you didn't, then it should probably be about what you expected. I had my doubts about this year. I think we played over our heads at times (mainly Houston), but I also think we didn't more often (SDSU, Hawai'i, Drake). It seems like our team has had an adjustment period that has the team looking better by the conference season.....right when the teams get tougher.

Obviously, Craig is a star, and we'll be lucky to get him back. I don't think I need to say any more about him.

Looking ahead to next year, what is crucial is the continued development of our remaining starters/role players. Our team really lacked balance last year. This was so damn frustrating, because we've seen what some of the guys are capable of. Diante has excelled as a distributor in only his sophomore season, but his scoring has been sporadic at best. He's skilled at getting to the basket, but simply has trouble finishing. Lucca can shoot, but either he was hurt all year, or the rest of his game is underdeveloped. Vanderbeken was our best shooter this past year, but he lacks the big man game you'd like to see out of one of your few forwards with some basketball experience on the team. Justin Hamilton is a raw but talented freshman who didn't quite catch up with the Big 12. For every positive, there's a negative.

The way this team is assembled, this program even, it will have to depend on upperclassmen. Look back and see how many players on this last team had played more than one year in a Cyclone uniform, and you'll see the biggest issue.

Next year has a chance to be one where we make a jump. Not an unrealistic one, mind you. The safe assumption is that Craig doesn't come back. But you'll have guys entering their second and third years in the system, along with a guy in Marquis Gilstrap that should make an immediate impact (because there's no reason to offer a JUCO if he can't). It's not unreasonable to expect us to finish over .500 next year.

Our success next year will still depend on our ability to shoot. We depend on the three more than most, so the continued development of Staiger and Eikmeier are crucial. To that end, one area we HAVE to improve on is the ability to get to the hole and at least draw contact. We ranked 332/344 in the country in FTA/FGA. Hopefully Gilstrap can help remedy this, and we can continue to tune the offense to allow for more penetration.

I've got hope for next year. I envision a starting lineup at the beginning of the year of Garrett/Staiger/Gilstrap/Vanderbeken/Hamilton. McDermott's system really is tough to get into for point guards, which is why I don't see Colvin touching the starting lineup at the beginning of the year. Is that lineup capable of winning 17 games next year? Tough call.

Despite what some of you guys think, I don't think McDermott is a bad coach. He seems to be recruiting better that I thought he would, though I do think we hype our guys more than they deserve (i.e. Staiger). He should be starting to figure out how the Big 12 is different than the MVC, and I think he's tailoring his recruiting more towards athleticism in the future in that regard. The future at the post position concerns me a bit, but there's time for that to shake out. His system is not far off from one that I favor, but I think it's led to more teams that are below us that end up beating us than the other way around. His style of play isn't killing Hilton Magic like some people seem to think - it's the results.

This team just needs to learn how to win. It seems as if that killer instinct has been missing for a while, and that comes from the players as much as anything.

It's unreasonable to predict a massive jump up next year - the Big 12 is generally the wrong league to do that in. Not saying it can't happen, but with a likely Brackins-less squad, it's a huge challenge. But I don't think it's unreasonable, or should it be a surprise, to see this team take a nice step in terms of development.

So, I basically just typed a lot for no reason.....and I'm not sure if it makes sense....but I think it means I have hope for next year, at least in the development of our program. Nothing annoys me more than the posters around here that tell me that something is "going" to happen. No one knows if McDermott's going to succeed (or Rhoads, or if Chizik would have stayed, or if Morgan or McCarney didn't get fired or whatever). I do however, think that he's capable of getting this team to the 20-23 win/year level in the next two years, depending on recruiting. If I've learned nothing else in my short time as a Cyclone fan, temper enthusiasm and expectations. But, ideally, by next year, we've got an experienced backcourt (which is big when you don't have studs), as well as hopefully a talented frontcourt (this part still concerns me, cause I'll just go ahead and assume Craig doesn't stay 4). While I don't think McDermott can be absolved of blame in terms of player defections, it's still been a bit of bad luck.

So, I think, to make a long story short, while I don't know if we'll be any good in the near future, I think we might.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: My Take on Cyclone Basketball

And looking over that, I'm not quite sure what the heck I'm talking about. Can someone give me the Cliff's Notes?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I didn't read it, but I think you put too much thought and effort into that post. I think it is best to just let basketball season die. Don't make it a slow and painful death.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Who has the time to read that book? Maybe you need a publishing company?

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by LeSchmick View Post
    Who has the time to read that book? Maybe you need a publishing company?
    I read it because LeSchmick and I have already concluded I have no life. I also like to think I have respect for people unlike him. Your call.

You make valid points that I generally agree with. Nothing stood out to me that I disagreed with. Perhaps people should read it and decide for themselves. My general consensus is that if we have a relatively hardship-less summer, Iowa State will be around 18-19 wins in their 2009-2010 campaign.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Brackins leaves, it will cost us at least 5 wins next year, same as the last two after Johnson left and Taylor got the boot.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post

Despite what some of you guys think, I don't think McDermott is a bad coach. He seems to be recruiting better that I thought he would, though I do think we hype our guys more than they deserve (i.e. Staiger). He should be starting to figure out how the Big 12 is different than the MVC, and I think he's tailoring his recruiting more towards athleticism in the future in that regard. The future at the post position concerns me a bit, but there's time for that to shake out. His system is not far off from one that I favor, but I think it's led to more teams that are below us that end up beating us than the other way around. His style of play isn't killing Hilton Magic like some people seem to think - it's the results.

So, I basically just typed a lot for no reason.....and I'm not sure if it makes sense....but I think it means I have hope for next year, at least in the development of our program. Nothing annoys me more than the posters around here that tell me that something is "going" to happen. No one knows if McDermott's going to succeed (or Rhoads, or if Chizik would have stayed, or if Morgan or McCarney didn't get fired or whatever). I do however, think that he's capable of getting this team to the 20-23 win/year level in the next two years, depending on recruiting. If I've learned nothing else in my short time as a Cyclone fan, temper enthusiasm and expectations. But, ideally, by next year, we've got an experienced backcourt (which is big when you don't have studs), as well as hopefully a talented frontcourt (this part still concerns me, cause I'll just go ahead and assume Craig doesn't stay 4). While I don't think McDermott can be absolved of blame in terms of player defections, it's still been a bit of bad luck.
    I agree with the general ideas you present. I highlighted a couple of things. If there is one thing I think we can expect from a McDermott coached team, its a serviceable post game. He has a pretty good track record with Craig, Jiri, and his work at UNI. I agree that we will be lucky if Brackins comes back and none of the other post players will likely put up double doubles every night, but I think that we will have enough of a presence to exploit teams with a weak inside defender and keep other defenses honest. I also think Ham has the potential to be a monster by the time he is done.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 33

Wow, that FT stat is scary. Bottom 3%. Even getting up to 25% would be worth, what, 5-10 points a game?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    My general consensus is that if we have a relatively hardship-less summer, Iowa State will be around 18-19 wins in their 2009-2010 campaign.
    This is what has me concerned. I feel like all of our eggs are in the basket for next season and if this is all we get...trouble is ahead. ISU could be a joke in two years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 782
    Given: 675

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    This is what has me concerned. I feel like all of our eggs are in the basket for next season and if this is all we get...trouble is ahead. ISU could be a joke for another two years.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

No matter what happens, people on this board will be dissapointed with results.

I mean, according on the "insiders" on here, Eikmeyer is a lot like Steph Curry, and Lucca is basically the biggest game changer in our history.

Things can get better; I just am wondering what is the ceiling and is that alright? Is it our goal to get in the dance every couple years as an 8 seed and in off years be in the NIT or CBI?

The one thing I worry about is that Mac used to coach basketball the game way ISU handles football: If you qualify for the post-season then it's an accomplishment. Now, while qualifying for basketball is tougher (you've got 340+ teams battling for 129 spots), I would be dissapointed in the long run with those types of expectations. This is the MVC kind of a mindset. I want us to be in the NCAA practically every year, and every few years have that legit cred to potentially make it far. I really wonder if Mac is the kind of coach that can build a program like that.

Don't get me wrong, I used to be one of Mac's biggest supporters. I don't know how I feel now though.

I agree things will get better. It really can't get that much worse. The past three years have been nightmareish at times. I reallyl want to have a basketball team to be excited about. Sounds dumb but that's a big reason why I went to ISU. I missed Fizer by two years and the debacle in Boise by 1 year, but I thought I was going to a school with a strong basketball program, which would be a fun source of entertainment for my time here. Turns out there's been more drama than a soap opera and it just sucks.

It shouldn't be that hard to build a NCAA program and I personally am giving Mac 1 more year. If we aren't a bubble team by the end of next year, I have lost complete faith. We will have a point guard in his 3rd year in the system, Lucca will be in his 2nd, JVB will be a senior, we'll have the #2 JUCO coming in, and just a lot of guys will be 1 year older. We will be playing in a somewhat down conference again, yet one that gives you many opportunities for "quality" wins.

It isn't that much to ask a coach to get you in the conversation after 4 years, no matter how unlucky he has been. I've seen Tubby Smith do more with less to be honest these past couple of years. Again, he's Tubby, but when you're a BCS school paying millions of dollars to a coach, he needs to deliver. We aren't a mid-major that is just thankful to be talked about.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dpo4isu View Post
    I agree with the general ideas you present. I highlighted a couple of things. If there is one thing I think we can expect from a McDermott coached team, its a serviceable post game. He has a pretty good track record with Craig, Jiri, and his work at UNI. I agree that we will be lucky if Brackins comes back and none of the other post players will likely put up double doubles every night, but I think that we will have enough of a presence to exploit teams with a weak inside defender and keep other defenses honest. I also think Ham has the potential to be a monster by the time he is done.
    I don't know if he'll be a monster, but he should be good. If Pomlee can turn out, that'd be huge.