Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

More HB talk. I know...how original

I'm new to this, bear with me...
    So Harrison is good, we all know that. And it sucks that he is being looked at by such prolific schools. Put yourself in his shoes and weigh the options. If I were him, here is what I would be considering:

1. I want a national championship. Where are my best chances of getting this?
    2. I want to develop my game and become legendary. Who will challenge me to do this?
    3. I am going pro if God blesses me w/that opportunity. How long will I stay in college? Is a 4 year education important or will I be blinded by the cash?
    4. Do I want to live in the same place (around my parents) for the next ?? years?

Here is my answer to all of these questions plain and simple. Iowa State. Here are my reasons:

1. National championship - ISU is not set up to get that his 1st year. If Brackins, Gilstrap, and Colvin stay and the rest of the cyclone crew continue to develop and improve, there would be a possibility to go deep into the tourney w/Barnes in the lineup. However, Brackins and Gilstrap sticking around seems like a bleak hope from what I have been reading. There is other talent coming in. Staten from Sioux City really has my eye and the 2010 commits look like they have some major upsides. We could definitely build a great program from this.

2. Become legendary. Iowa State fans always remember the "greats" that come through. Usually because they are few and far between:) How many people that play at Duke, UNC or Kansas get drowned out and soon forgotten because the next class has the next up-and-coming players. Harrison would almost achieve celebrity status here. Now I don't know if that is a good thing or not, but everybody would know him and love him. I have seen it w/Brackins. People clap at restaurants after a game when he shows up. We love our players and appreciate their hard work and service. On a team flushed w/5 star recruits, it is more difficult for a single player to make his mark. The team can be great, but for one player to become "legendary" may be tough. He could be this at ISU if he continues to develop and work hard.

3. Every player, in my opinion, needs a 4 year degree. I hope Brackins sees the value in this and decides to play two more years. Education will be with you for the rest of your life and playing basketball won't. Enjoy college while you can. They are the best years of your life even if you don't have gagillians of dollars in the bank. I hope Harrison's parents help guide him in making the right choice. I believe McDermott is a guy that values education and works with his players to make sure they put as much focus, if not more, in the classroom as they do on the court. Every 18+ year old needs this guidance and encouragement.

4. Going to the east coast to play ball would be amazing. Especially knowing your parents wouldn't be hovering over you at all times. I don't know Harrison's relationship with them, but hopefully they would give him space when he needs it and offer guidance when he needs it as well. This could be a double edged sword. I don't know what's going on in this area.

5. How much pride would I feel if a program that started in tough times turned it all around with a large part due to my contributions? How much national recognition would I receive if I went out and scored 15+ points consistently in a Big 12 school as a freshman/sophomore? Being an integral part of a reborn program would be one of the greatest feelings of my life. Harrison could do that. He could be the guy that ISU has been waiting for...

This got long. I won't bore you again. And if I do, just tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and I need to shut up ISU bball has a lot to look forward to. I am excited already for next year! Two more years Brackins! We need you.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 485

Re: More HB talk. I know...how original

Quote Originally Posted by DumbFan View Post
    Every player, in my opinion, needs a 4 year degree.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,269
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.
    I would say every single person would benefit from a 4 year degree. Whether it be just the experience, or the education... they are the best times of your life and mold you into the person you become.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

Exactly. What did a degree get Len Bias?

Oh, too soon?

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I would say every single person would benefit from a 4 year degree. Whether it be just the experience, or the education... they are the best times of your life and mold you into the person you become.
    I don't know if I agree with that. In what way would a 4-year degree now help a Lebron or KG? They will never have to worry about money in their life. It's not to say they wouldn't gain anything by giong, and they certainly will have time to get one if there is any degree they want to get (if they would even be accepted!)

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by AnkenyCy24 View Post
    I don't know if I agree with that. In what way would a 4-year degree now help a Lebron or KG? They will never have to worry about money in their life. It's not to say they wouldn't gain anything by giong, and they certainly will have time to get one if there is any degree they want to get (if they would even be accepted!)
    Not to mention Kobe.
    You can make your millions and then come back to school...it's not like they lock the gates.
    This "get your college degree" thing is touted by fans who want athletes to come to their school, or stay at school after they start, solely to help them win. Nothing more...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 19

College will always be there but the chance to go pro and get paid very well for it wont. If the opportunity comes, get paid and go back to college when the career is over.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 19

School will always be there. Just look at David Wesley, ESPN had a story about him earlier. He left after 3 years but is back at Baylor to complete his 4 year degree. If the money is there in the NBA, you do it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 676
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Not to mention Kobe.
    You can make your millions and then come back to school...it's not like they lock the gates.
    This "get your college degree" thing is touted by fans who want athletes to come to their school, or stay at school after they start, solely to help them win. Nothing more...
    BINGO, get your money while its there...college will always be there during the off season if you want a degree.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,352
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 159

I think what they're saying is that college is a great place to be during a formative time for a young person. Yes, you definitely have to consider the money available, but how often have you read about it being difficult "growing up" during life on the road in the NBA? You can't go back and do that again.

"I've heard that there are high school kids who are thinking about going straight into the NBA like I did Well, they're crazy. If I could've gone to college, I would have, in a heartbeat," Kevin Garnett said in the USA Today.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by AnkenyCy24 View Post
    In what way would a 4-year degree now help a Lebron or KG? They will never have to worry about money in their life.
    The point was this is the most important time for developing things like maturity and understanding of life's lessons. One of life's lessons for these kids that have been given a gift and have worked their butts off is they need to understand there will be so much thrown at them - if they're not prepared to handle it, they will end up like Vick or Pacman.

For those that say "Go, take the money if its there" why would it not still be there 2 years from now? I mean look at guys like Tyler Hansbourgh and every other Senior preparing to play in this tournament - why did they stay? The money was there. It was commitment and relishing teammates and the college life style. I think that's one of the worst things about the NBA - getting these KIDS millions of dollars and they don't know how or what to do with it because they've never had that much money and don't fully understand the ramifications of being wealthy and its pitfalls.

For every David Wesley there's a hundred or even a thousand that never get their degree. Very rarely do they actually go back and get that education. For these kids with this much talent, maybe one thing they're thinking is PRIDE. I've heard more then one time in a sports story about a senior with the graduation gown on talking about making their families proud. The money will still be there, if your good, the money will always be there. Its just a matter of each individual and what they deem important to them.

Lets hope that brackins come's back next year. I truly believe this team could make the tourney next year. That experience could pull Brack back for his senior season - and if not, we'll still always appreciate everything he's done at ISU - he's been everything we could ever expect out of our Student-Athletes!!!

Good Luck Brack - we will support whatever your choice you make.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 539
    Given: 485

He said every player. I disagree. Most...yes. Every...no.

Prospect
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

In my opinion.. it comes down to this.... Which means more to him, going to the final 4 and having a chance at a national championship or being the man that helps turn around the program you've loved your whole life and being a hero in that town forever. I think we all can agree that a final 4 at ISU is a longshot and he'd be just another great player at duke or unc. It's a tough call, I'll support him as long as he doesn't go to iowa or kansas :)

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyups View Post
    I'll support him as long as he doesn't go to iowa or kansas :)
    100% agree with that!!!!!!!!!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,808
    Given: 1,514

Quote Originally Posted by cyups View Post
    In my opinion.. it comes down to this.... Which means more to him, going to the final 4 and having a chance at a national championship or being the man that helps turn around the program you've loved your whole life and being a hero in that town forever. I think we all can agree that a final 4 at ISU is a longshot and he'd be just another great player at duke or unc. It's a tough call, I'll support him as long as he doesn't go to iowa or kansas :)
    If George Mason could do it, it can be done here.

If Duke could do it in 1986, it can be done here. If Duke could become a perennial power, we can become prominent as well.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/