Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 12,153, Level: 33
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    399
    Points
    12,153
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    The last four years McD has lost his best player and Iowa State basketball has started over. My point is, what if?

    What if Brackins stays next year? What if Barnes signs with Iowa State? We will be a force. Everything will change. Iowa State basketball will be back on the map. All will be well.

    I personally think it is a distinct possibility.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 361,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,724
    Points
    361,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,381
    Given: 719

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedcardinalandgold View Post

    I personally think it is a distinct possibility.
    I'd love to agree, but I've been conditioned to know that when "what if" questions are posed regarding ISU athletics, more times than not we end up on the wrong side of that question.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 48,662, Level: 68
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,550
    Points
    48,662
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 1

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    It is wishful thinking. We have Brackins (more than likely) and Gilstrap (more than likely) only for next year. They both leave and Barnes (hopefully) will be a Cyclone. We pretty much start over in 2010 with an influx of new talent (Kadima, Dykstra and possibly Kelm and Barnes). That is why McDermott has to win next year because I'm not sure we would have the talent down low to compete once Brackins is gone.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 12,153, Level: 33
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    399
    Points
    12,153
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    We start over in 2010 with some pretty great talent. I am cautiously optimistic. Iowa State has suffered through the worst 4-5 years of being a fan I can remember. (I am only 28). I am thinking we are due for some good things. 22 - we are due for some great.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 959,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    66,551
    Points
    959,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,298
    Given: 8,185

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedcardinalandgold View Post
    We start over in 2010 with some pretty great talent. I am cautiously optimistic. Iowa State has suffered through the worst 4-5 years of being a fan I can remember. (I am only 28). I am thinking we are due for some good things. 22 - we are due for some great.
    Yup. Good things are on the horizon, and it's not far away. I really like that Mac is building here


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 361,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,724
    Points
    361,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,381
    Given: 719

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedcardinalandgold View Post
    22 - we are due for some great.
    We've been due for quite some time now. Great seems to keep missing us....by miles.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 12,153, Level: 33
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    399
    Points
    12,153
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    We've been due for quite some time now. Great seems to keep missing us....by miles.
    Believe. I can't wait to say I told them so.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 52,192, Level: 70
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,541
    Points
    52,192
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    We've been due for quite some time now. Great seems to keep missing us....by miles.
    Exactly. I'm sure people were saying the same thing about ISU football in the early 80's. "Oh baby, we're so close, next year is the year!"

    Those folks had to wait until 2000 to reach another bowl game.

    Until McDermott proves something, I'm not buying this "the future is bright" crap. Give us a legit reason to think that. And no, this isn't an anti-McD post, it could apply to any coach, at any school.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 273,545, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,458
    Points
    273,545
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 606
    Given: 0

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedcardinalandgold View Post
    Believe. I can't wait to say I told them so.
    I can't wait either. The bummer is it hasn't happened yet.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 959,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    66,551
    Points
    959,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,298
    Given: 8,185

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Exactly. I'm sure people were saying the same thing about ISU football in the early 80's. "Oh baby, we're so close, next year is the year!"

    Those folks had to wait until 2000 to reach another bowl game.

    Until McDermott proves something, I'm not buying this "the future is bright" crap. Give us a legit reason to think that. And no, this isn't an anti-McD post, it could apply to any coach, at any school.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I can't wait either. The bummer is it hasn't happened yet.
    Fair enough. Nothing wrong with this at all.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 361,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    33,724
    Points
    361,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,381
    Given: 719

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by bleedcardinalandgold View Post
    Believe. I can't wait to say I told them so.
    That will be a fun day. However, as noted, it hasn't happened and this has been said for years. I've said it too.

    A person not only has to wonder when, but if ever.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 201,884, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    13,488
    Points
    201,884
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 1,519

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    It is wishful thinking. We have Brackins (more than likely) and Gilstrap (more than likely) only for next year. They both leave and Barnes (hopefully) will be a Cyclone. We pretty much start over in 2010 with an influx of new talent (Kadima, Dykstra and possibly Kelm and Barnes). That is why McDermott has to win next year because I'm not sure we would have the talent down low to compete once Brackins is gone.
    I can't agree with that, we'll have an experienced cadre that that 2010 class will be complementing. DG (senior), Christopherson, Boozer, Buckley, Eikmeier and Lucca will all be upperclassmen, Colvin a seasoned soph, and the frontline you're worried about will have Hamilton and Pomlee in their third years at ISU. Perhaps Dendy as a senior. I'm thinking that'll be a pretty decent framework to build around.


    Go Cyclones!

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 295,849, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17,425
    Points
    295,849
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 755
    Given: 108

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Next year can't come soon enough, with or without Brackins.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 191,275, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,225
    Points
    191,275
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 1,795

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I can't agree with that, we'll have an experienced cadre that that 2010 class will be complementing. DG (senior), Christopherson, Boozer, Buckley, Eikmeier and Lucca will all be upperclassmen, Colvin a seasoned soph, and the frontline you're worried about will have Hamilton and Pomlee in their third years at ISU. Perhaps Dendy as a senior. I'm thinking that'll be a pretty decent framework to build around.

    That senario sounds horrible to me. Again, reaffirms my thought that we are no where close.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 92,196, Level: 94
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    5,381
    Points
    92,196
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,254
    Given: 3

    Re: Barnes, Brackins, and the future

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    I can't agree with that, we'll have an experienced cadre that that 2010 class will be complementing. DG (senior), Christopherson, Boozer, Buckley, Eikmeier and Lucca will all be upperclassmen, Colvin a seasoned soph, and the frontline you're worried about will have Hamilton and Pomlee in their third years at ISU. Perhaps Dendy as a senior. I'm thinking that'll be a pretty decent framework to build around.
    Great points --- I think GMacs "system" can excel with less than outstanding athletes, but seasoned, experienced team players. We'll be fairly salty by then...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM