Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

End of the year analysis: Player by Player

This is my take on how each player performed this year and what we should expect from them next year:
    Cameron Lee- A great bench/practice guy. Has a great attitude and although he could probably be a great player somewhere else, I'd bet he sticks around and continues to push our top players.
    Clinton Mann- I definitely would have rather had Cory Johnson this year. I'm sure Mann was good in practice and will continue to be but he just doesn't have the tools to compete at a high level. I'm thinking he transfers.
    Wes Eikmeier- Eik was probably the biggest bust of the year. I know it wasn't really his fault but expectations on this board were way too high for him. He was just too small, too one dimensional, and his release is too low for him to be good this year. Hopefully he's healthy next year and can give us a solid spot up shooter off the bench.
    Dominique Buckley- Kind of an awkward freshman year. I had pretty high expectations after watching him at Cap City (I know I'm an idiot) but he really struggled. I realize he's decent at going to the basket but he has to cut down on his turnovers. I think we'll see a big jump from Buckley next year.
    Charles Boozer- Most improved player this season. Booze should have played a lot more than he did and this was one of the biggest mysteries of the season. He had a much shorter leash than any other player despite bringing more athleticism and energy to the court than anybody. He'll continue to be solid for us if he stays.
    Sean Haluska- I had high hopes for Haluska coming into the year. I'm not sure why but I thought he could surprise some people. However, he never shot the ball like he did at the end of last year and because of that he wasn't very effective offensively. Defensively he dominated at times. I'll never understand why so many people hated him and I think we should be done calling our own players losers unless they deserve it.
    Alex Thompson- He was Alex Thompson.
    Justin Hamilton- Some people would say Hamilton was our biggest surprise this year and I would disagree. Ham had a nice season and exceeded my expectations slightly but he's still the player we thought he would be. He needs to develop an offensive game and get MUCH more agressive, especially on the rebounds. He will probably start next year and be a 5 and 5 type player for us the rest of his career.
    Jamie Vanderbeken- The big Canadian was solid for us all year. He consistently knocked down 3's but hopefully he'll improve upon his 38 % 3-point shooting from this year. We'll also need more rebounding and interior defense from him next year and I bet he'll have a steller senior season.
    Lucca Staiger- Lucca was up and down all season. He had some amazing shooting games and other games where he was awful. When he's not making 3's he really has no place on the court. I realize he was injured but he must improve his defense and ball handling if he's going to come anywhere near meeting expectations. Lucca should make a big jump next year.
    Bryan Petersen- Came out of nowhere to have a good year for us. BP proved he deserved to be starting and was the only vocal leader we had. We will miss his shooting but hopefully we'll replace him with somebody who can get to the basket.
    Diante Garrett- Diante gave me numerous headaches this year. Had a couple awesome games, some below average ones, and others where he was a complete liability. A lot of people say he isn't a point guard but he also isn't a two. He shot 22 % from 3 and should probably completely scrap that part of his game. Next year I predict he'll continue to be very frustrating but with the addition of Colvin, DG won't be needed to do as much.
    Craig Brackins- Not much else can be said about CB. With him we have a shot at the NCAA's next year and without we will be awful.

Last edited by Clone5; 03-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: End of the year analysis: Player by Player

We consistently played about 9 players this year, do you guys think we'll see more of the same next year?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 15

I agree with most except that Boozer should've played more. His only real offering was rebounding. I'll get ripped for saying this, but he's not very fast on his feet, and his defense is meh at best. He sticks out because he's a fan favorite and everyone wants to see him do well. Both he and Haluska were offensive liabilities, but Haluska was a lock down defender.

In Coach Mac's words last night:
    "Sean, you couldn't guard your lunch in high school, now you're guarding the opponent's best player each time on the floor."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I agree with most except that Boozer should've played more. His only real offering was rebounding. I'll get ripped for saying this, but he's not very fast on his feet, and his defense is meh at best. He sticks out because he's a fan favorite and everyone wants to see him do well. Both he and Haluska were offensive liabilities, but Haluska was a lock down defender.

In Coach Mac's words last night:
    "Sean, you couldn't guard your lunch in high school, now you're guarding the opponent's best player each time on the floor."
    Boozer may not be very fast but at least he brought some athleticism and energy to the court each time he came in. He was able to get rebounds and steals that no other player would have been able to get. He was nowhere near as big of a offensive liability as Haluska.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    Boozer may not be very fast but at least he brought some athleticism and energy to the court each time he came in. He was able to get rebounds and steals that no other player would have been able to get. He was nowhere near as big of a offensive liability as Haluska.
    They're both offensive liabilities. I think we could argue that anybody not named Craig was an offensive liability a lot of the season. People rip Lucca for his lack of ability to take it to the rack, but think Boozer is great even though he's just as bad handling the ball? They praise Boozer's ability to rebound, but we all discount BP as the second best rebounder on the team. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    They're both offensive liabilities. I think we could argue that anybody not named Craig was an offensive liability a lot of the season. People rip Lucca for his lack of ability to take it to the rack, but think Boozer is great even though he's just as bad handling the ball? They praise Boozer's ability to rebound, but we all discount BP as the second best rebounder on the team. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    Ha I guess you're right. I will definitely acknowledge that Boozer's game does have it's holes just like the rest of the players but I just enjoy watching athletic and energetic guys play basketball. I wasn't discounting Petersen at all, he had an excellent year.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

I don't think Eik was a bust unless you were judging after a few games.

The expectations on this board were held in check for the most part. There were a few that thought he could average 8-10 points, but for the most part, I think we expected him to give us a spark off the bench. He didn't do that, but some people act like this board thought he would come in and start. That just isn't true.

Like Lucca, he only slightly played below what I would say were the majority's expectations (at least on this board). Maybe more than slightly, but it is hard to be a bust when I think the expectations were pretty low to begin with for his freshman season.

Please excuse this poorly written post.

Last edited by jahfg; 03-12-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I don't think Eik was a bust unless you were judging after a few games.
    From what I've watched, he's got a good handle on the ball, he just needs to go on the Big Ham diet and put some meat on his bones.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,756
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 37

You lost your credibility when you labeled a Freshmen a "bust". Good try though.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigBake View Post
    You lost your credibility when you labeled a Freshmen a "bust". Good try though.
    Sorry you misread what I meant. I have a lot of faith he'll have a nice career but this year (mostly because of factors outside of his control) was a bust.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    Sorry you misread what I meant. I have a lot of faith he'll have a nice career but this year (mostly because of factors outside of his control) was a bust.
    You said bust. Don't label a Freshmen a bust.

He showed glimpses of having a decent game. I'm anxious to see how he DEVELOPS over the next few years.

Fanatic #25

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Nice Summary.

I threw in the towel on this bunch after the Hawaii loss to focus on Wrestling. I have low self-esteem, so that prohibits me from following teams with Below .500 records, I guess I have lived in Nebraska too long and their Culture has Rubbed off on me. Oh well.

Good Summary, this gives me some good information to follow ISU BB with next year, provided CB returns, which I doubt.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Remove the first sentence of the Eik summary and I'm okay with it.

Fanatic #25

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You said bust. Don't label a Freshmen a bust.

He showed glimpses of having a decent game. I'm anxious to see how he DEVELOPS over the next few years.
    I will label Wes Eikmeier's performance this year whatever I want. Did I ever say he wouldn't develop? Relax and work on your reading comprehension.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Remove the first sentence of the Eik summary and I'm okay with it.
    Who played worse compared to expectations? In my opinion Eik was the biggest disappointment of the year but as I've already said twice it wasn't his fault.