Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 37,663, Level: 59
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    burn587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,570
    Points
    37,663
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 8

    Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    For the last two years I've been living in the Chicago suburbs while my wife attends medical school. However for her rotations we need to move downtown to be close to the hospitals (Cook, Sinai, Swedish Covenant, etc). I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of a good apartment around the michigan ave, wacker and north lake shore drive area?

    Here are the ones I'm looking at:

    Presidential Towers on Madison (already looked at)
    1212 S Michigan
    North Harbor Tower
    Chesnut Tower
    Medical District Apts

    If anyone knows anything helpful about these apartments or just living in that area I'd appreciate it.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer CubsnClones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    292
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    With that kind of zip code in downtown, I'd figure you could afford a good real estate agent....

    Last time I heard my Brother who lives in Barrington (lake county), looked at getting a place in the City so he could stay close to work for the week... A 800sq foot condo in that area was going for 450k or about ten grand a month for a rental property of the same size.

    That's about the best I can help you with...I'm not familar with either one of the apartments you mentioned...

    Quote Originally Posted by burn587 View Post
    For the last two years I've been living in the Chicago suburbs while my wife attends medical school. However for her rotations we need to move downtown to be close to the hospitals (Cook, Sinai, Swedish Covenant, etc). I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of a good apartment around the michigan ave, wacker and north lake shore drive area?

    Here are the ones I'm looking at:

    Presidential Towers on Madison (already looked at)
    1212 S Michigan
    North Harbor Tower
    Chesnut Tower
    Medical District Apts

    If anyone knows anything helpful about these apartments or just living in that area I'd appreciate it.


    Last edited by CubsnClones; 03-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    I remember that MrsPhaedrus and I once idly thought that if we didn't have kids and had the income for it, we thought a downtown Chicago apt. would be kind of a sweet setup.

    Good luck on your apt. search.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 27,024, Level: 50
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,921
    Points
    27,024
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    I have a friend that is selling her place in downtown Chicago:
    Baird & Warner - Property Detail QS



  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 9,094, Level: 28
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    174
    Points
    9,094
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    If you have one or more cars you may have some trouble getting parking in all of those places except the Medical Center apartments. Really any place near Michigan ave. will be either with limited parking or a significant charge for a space. My personal opinion is to find a place in the west loop, since that will be cheaper and easier on parking than anything by the lake. It's also going to be very close to Sinai and Cook. I see the appeal though in living close to the lake, you just pay for it.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 37,663, Level: 59
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    burn587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,570
    Points
    37,663
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 8

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Yeah we have two cars and parking ramp fees really suck. But I absolutely need my car for work (I travel around the upper midwest and could technically be called to work anywhere between LA and Chicago). The appeal of the high rises near Michigan have great security not so much being right by the lake. We had just kind of resigned ourselves to downtown because of 1) security 2) the cheaper apartments in uptown are run down and I don't want to live in a 100 yr old plus building that has had few if any renovations.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 109,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,157
    Points
    109,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 88

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Quote Originally Posted by melt View Post
    If you have one or more cars you may have some trouble getting parking in all of those places except the Medical Center apartments. Really any place near Michigan ave. will be either with limited parking or a significant charge for a space. My personal opinion is to find a place in the west loop, since that will be cheaper and easier on parking than anything by the lake. It's also going to be very close to Sinai and Cook. I see the appeal though in living close to the lake, you just pay for it.
    I was on the west loop last week. My sister lives in Greektown and there seems to be plenty of available places. A big bonus is whenever I go and visit, it doesn't take forever to try and find a spot. Makes it handy to park there during Cubs games and hop on the Racine el.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 145,591, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,716
    Points
    145,591
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    I was on the west loop last week. My sister lives in Greektown and there seems to be plenty of available places. A big bonus is whenever I go and visit, it doesn't take forever to try and find a spot. Makes it handy to park there during Cubs games and hop on the Racine el.
    My cousin lives in a newer building on Buchanan right by there, great building, good security, a few Bears even live there... Pretty convenient to get on and off the freeway too.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 10,194, Level: 30
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    530
    Points
    10,194
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    There are a lot of great places to live other than the North Loop. I live in Lincoln Square. Much preferred to downtown.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 204,385, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,392
    Points
    204,385
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 326

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsnClones View Post
    . A 800sq foot condo in that area was going for 450k or about ten grand a month for a rental property of the same size.
    Who would pay $120K/year in rent for a 800 sqft condo?



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 34,218, Level: 56
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,826
    Points
    34,218
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 35

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Who would pay $120K/year in rent for a 800 sqft condo?
    That can't be right, especially considering the condo is only $450k. Maybe if the condo was 4.5 mil...

    Just be glad you're looking in Chicago rather than NYC... It's tough to get a good studio apartment (300 sf) in Manhattan or Brooklyn for $450k. I'm doomed to renting for as long as I'm in this city...



  12. #12
    Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Wow. Those hospitals are all really far from each other. I would think you'd want something near the expressway. I would think west loop might work for you. What did you think about presidential towers? From what I remember there's a good amount reserved for low income. I know you're already in the area, but this site might help you: Chicago Real Estate, Houses and Apartments
    Good Luck.



  13. #13
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,029
    Points
    302,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 735

    Re: Downtown Chicago Apartments?

    Quote Originally Posted by bstegs View Post
    There are a lot of great places to live other than the North Loop. I live in Lincoln Square. Much preferred to downtown.
    With the hospitals you list, you may want to find somewhere equidistant from them on the north side. Swedish Covenant is a decent ways from downtown, but closer to Lincoln Square as mentioned.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM