Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Senior Night

Saturday night should be tough as well as emotional. Kansas is obviously playing their best ball of the season right now - hopefully we will shoot better than we did down there(27%). Bolt, Niz and Eze combined for 4/21 - ugh!

After the win - we will celebrate a special senior class:

Jocelyn - While this year may have been a little disappointing for her so far, we will never forget the way she stepped up last year when Nicky and T were hurt. She was a huge factor in getting us to the post season, surprising many with her level of play.

Toccara - Came in and surprised many her junior year with her athleticism and aggressiveness, despite playing an undersized 4 and 5. I remember watching her go down on TV while playing in Minneapolis - I looked at my wife and said 'ACL.' While she obviously still doesn't completely trust her knee - perhaps some quality minutes are still coming down the stretch.

Nicky - Four years of effective post play despite not really relishing the pounding you get in the B12 post. How wide would her blocked shot record margin be if she hadn't gotten hurt last year? She seems to be playing some of her best ball of the year lately, and we will need her to go deep into the post-season.

Eze - Nobody has played consistently harder over the last 4 years, and this year in particular. Probably our best off ball defender. Has unselfishly played PG for much of her career, despite the 2 being her more natural, comfortable position. At times her perimeter shooting has almost single-handedly won games for us. Perhaps an extension of her B12 tourney record for 3's is in the offing??

Niz - I can't think of anyone who has improved more over her 4 years, and very few have gotten more out of their ability than this fine student athlete. She came into her own when needed last year, and has continued to blossom this year, playing at least 4 positions. A tough defender who seems to understand the defensive game plan from game to game better than anyone, and does the dirty work of offensive rebounding and getting on the floor after loose balls.

I know I will be joined by thousands in honoring and celebrating the past and future successes of these fine young represenatives of the school we love.

See you Saturday night - GO STATE!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: Senior Night

They are a great group of Cyclones!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

This will also be Wild Bill's "senior night", and it's a shame there won't be any special recognition for him.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 2,217

Quote Originally Posted by cloneaholic View Post
    This will also be Wild Bill's "senior night", and it's a shame there won't be any special recognition for him.
    I'm sure they would and should, but knowing Wild Bill even in his last game he would want the focus on the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63

No, it's not.

Recruit
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    No, it's not.
    It's comments like this that truly get under my skin. I started going to see the women's team play over 10 years ago and was hooked from Game 1. During that game against Iowa I discovered Wild Bill (who could miss him?) and was impressed by the way he cheered for the team. Over the years I have gotten to know Bill and his wife, Barbara. I have never met a more devoted fan of the team. He has never shouted one thing that has been derogatory or mean. He's supportive of the team without being insulting. He cheers knowing that there are kids in the building who can hear him.

With Wild Bill retiring, we're losing a big piece of what made Hilton Colisuem one of the hardest places to play in the country. I remember the days when there was Bill, the refs, 3 Point-Land and a Little Clone Club section that was FULL 30 minutes before the game. On Senior Night there were hand-made banners hung from the balcony congratulating the graduating players.

There have been a lot of "modern" touches that have been added to Hilton over the years that have replaced the "home-grown" touches that made Cyclone Women's Basketball unique.

Today a 25-year era comes to an end. Wild Bill isn't just a fan, he is THE fan. He is the embodiment of the heart and soul of every fan who has ever walked through the doors of Hilton. And I for one will truly miss seeing and hearing him.

Tonight we get to salute 5 players who have given their all to Iowa State. They have come through a lot of adveristy and have always been outstanding role models for fans of all ages. I will truly miss each and every one of them. Wild Bill would not want to take away any of the spotlight from these women. But I, along with thousands of other Cyclone fans, will go out of my way to make sure to say "thank you" to him as well.

If you want to watch a women's game where everyone sits throughout the game and only cheers when there team is winning, go watch the Hawkeyes. But for me, I'll take Hilton Coliseum and Wild Bill any day.

Last edited by ISU3PtLand; 03-07-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I just feel bad for the girls that their recognition ceremony is after the game, when many people will be wanting to leave and get home... or at least be watching from the concourse with one foot out the door.

Has the women's ceremony always been after the game or is that new for this year?

Recruit
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    I just feel bad for the girls that their recognition ceremony is after the game, when many people will be wanting to leave and get home... or at least be watching from the concourse with one foot out the door.

Has the women's ceremony always been after the game or is that new for this year?
    As long as I've been going the ceremony has been after the game. I've found that compared to other games, a majority of the fans do stick around to see the players recognized.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,053
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ISU3PtLand View Post
    It's comments like this that truly get under my skin. I started going to see the women's team play over 10 years ago and was hooked from Game 1. During that game against Iowa I discovered Wild Bill (who could miss him?) and was impressed by the way he cheered for the team. Over the years I have gotten to know Bill and his wife, Barbara. I have never met a more devoted fan of the team. He has never shouted one thing that has been derogatory or mean. He's supportive of the team without being insulting. He cheers knowing that there are kids in the building who can hear him.

With Wild Bill retiring, we're losing a big piece of what made Hilton Colisuem one of the hardest places to play in the country. I remember the days when there was Bill, the refs, 3 Point-Land and a Little Clone Club section that was FULL 30 minutes before the game. On Senior Night there were hand-made banners hung from the balcony congratulating the graduating players.

There have been a lot of "modern" touches that have been added to Hilton over the years that have replaced the "home-grown" touches that made Cyclone Women's Basketball unique.

Today a 25-year era comes to an end. Wild Bill isn't just a fan, he is THE fan. He is the embodiment of the heart and soul of every fan who has ever walked through the doors of Hilton. And I for one will truly miss seeing and hearing him.

Tonight we get to salute 5 players who have given their all to Iowa State. They have come through a lot of adveristy and have always been outstanding role models for fans of all ages. I will truly miss each and every one of them. Wild Bill would not want to take away any of the spotlight from these women. But I, along with thousands of other Cyclone fans, will go out of my way to make sure to say "thank you" to him as well.

If you want to watch a women's game where everyone sits throughout the game and only cheers when there team is winning, go watch the Hawkeyes. But for me, I'll take Hilton Coliseum and Wild Bill any day.
    I agree wholeheartedly. The women's basketball team under Fennelly and the women's fans have been the epitome of what college sports should be.

Following on from the quote and reply above, the WBB fans generally don't have a foot out the door on most game nights and especially Senior Night. This celebration is one of the aspects of Cyclone women's basketball that makes it so special. I think holding the ceremony after the game is the only way to give the seniors their proper due without distracting from the game. It's a great ceremony for great student athletes. I'm looking forward to it even though I'm 700 miles away.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63

Quote Originally Posted by ISU3PtLand View Post
    Today a 25-year era comes to an end.
    I don't recall any special celebrations for 25-year season ticket holders of other sports. Feel free to list them.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    I don't recall any special celebrations for 25-year season ticket holders of other sports. Feel free to list them.

Yeah, you're right. Wild Bill is just another 25-year season ticket holder. Get a clue.

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Well if you've been to some of them not only do the girls get a little emotional and teary eyed but I really get frustrated when 4 girls all thank the same coaches and people in their speaches. I don't know if this has changed recently, I haven't made a senior night the last couple years but the last one I went to I think there were 3 or 4 seniors and their speeches lasted almost a full hour after the game was over. I'm all for giving them recognition they deserve but 5 minutes each should be more than enough to thank and reflect on their time here IMO.

Go Cubs Go!

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Well if you've been to some of them not only do the girls get a little emotional and teary eyed but I really get frustrated when 4 girls all thank the same coaches and people in their speaches. I don't know if this has changed recently, I haven't made a senior night the last couple years but the last one I went to I think there were 3 or 4 seniors and their speeches lasted almost a full hour after the game was over. I'm all for giving them recognition they deserve but 5 minutes each should be more than enough to thank and reflect on their time here IMO.
    So most of these girls give 4 years to the program and you want to limit their senior night speech to 5 minutes? When was the last time you attended one of these? I see you said several years ago. It's not like anyone has to stay. IMO they could each talk for 2 hours and I would enjoy every word!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Yeah, you're right. Wild Bill is just another 25-year season ticket holder. Get a clue.
    Okay, I love what kind of fan Wild Bill has been for the Twister Sisters. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of tribute for him as a video from a private entity, not the athletics dept. If the AD does it, you're asking for them to recognize every 25-year fan--which I'm not really against but there's just not time for all of them to be recognized. If a company wants to pay for the sponsorship time to put up a timeout-video on the scoreboard, go for it.

How is Wild Bill any more of a fan than the family of four who attends every home game? Or the other guys with 25-years of tickets under their belt? Is it because he's more vocal and "known"? Joe Nobody sitting 10 seats away from Bill could be just as dedicated but more of a quiet person, who supports through his donations and cheering with everyone else.

I know an elderly retired man who sits in the family/friends section with his wife, and I've never seen them miss a game in my 3 years of being a student and going to games. This man helped with the building of Hilton, the girls know him by name, he donates money, does everything you could probably think of. And he cheers his heart out, gets after the girls from his seat, stands up and sings the fight song every time it's played--some games he's not physically able to get up on his own every time, so his wife and the usher help him up. Should Wild Bill be recognized but not this man? Someday, unfortunately probably in the next few years, this man's seat will be empty and ISU will have lost a tremendous fan who has done a lot for this team. He is no better a fan than Wild Bill, and Wild Bill is no better a fan than him.

And regarding the speeches...let them speak. They've given (pardon the cliche) blood, sweat, and tears for this program. They've won games they shouldn't have, lost some they shouldn't have, gone to the NCAAs when they weren't expected to, won in the NCAAs when they weren't expected to. They've given coach some gray hairs but they've given him and the fans something to be proud of. You'll miss them when they aren't here next year. And the next year when another group of seniors is gone.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 251

I think the real point is that the night is not about Bill, whether his situation is a shame or not. It is about the actual girls on the team, and to suggest that they should somehow have to share their moment with him is ridiculous.