Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,504
    Given: 1,288

Our Road Trip to Lincoln

We had a great time (mostly) going to the game out there in Lincoln. We really would have preferred a win, but we were in the minority on that one. Some stuff that we observed:

1) On the 3 critical measures of a game mentioned most often, we:
    a) Shot 50%
    b) Only Lucca made a three.
    c) We consistently outrebounded the Huskers all the way through.
    d) 17 turnovers. Good night. I'm not sure who Lucca saw in the front row/backcourt, but that was a horrible moment to watch out there.

2) If you take a wrong turn in Lincoln, you're driving forever. Whoever zoned that place to have a university, capitol, and downtown area all shoved together should be slapped around until I get tired of watching. We stayed at a hotel on NW 12th, which somehow has no connection to N/S 12th (R street is the break).
    If you ever get lost in Lincoln, just drive on O street around the world. It's like the Nebraska Equator, in that it goes everywhere.

3) Whoever designed Devaney to have one entry point might be the same genius that zoned that city. One traffic choke point to enter the place, and two exits, one of which takes you in seemingly random directions. And parking in the State Fairgrounds? I was asking revkah on the way in/out of Devaney "so, did we park three blocks over and two blocks up, or two blocks over and three blocks up?" What a planning nightmare!!

4) Most Nebraska fans were very decent, and it was funny to watch their anger at the refs. One guy behind us (he and his buddy were definitely filling the redneck quota) kept yelling about handchecking. If the refs were calling handchecking like this dude wanted, there wouldn't be any Huskers on the floor.

5) The rednecks behind us kept churning out racially inappropriate comments. I'll be generous with that. "Make sure the white guy guards you," and "How does a black guy get outrebounded by a white guy? Call Guinness, that's got to be a world record." Drinking and rednecks should not be mixed together.

6) The guy next to me and I agreed that it's not exactly the same as the old Johnny Orr/Danny Nee days, with fast-paced play and NBA players on the court.

7) The video clips and presentations that they made for Seniors Day were very classy and extremely well done. We really enjoyed the Krenk kid from Nebraska City moving from manager to player, and the ovations he receives from the crowd there. We have friends in Nebraska City and good memories there (awesome Valentino's!), and it was fun to see a kid from there and what he means to their fans.

8) I really enjoy the gameday atmosphere that they create, with the lighting, music, giveaways, and such. The only detriment I saw (besides Huskers) was the strange demonstration they did to educate the audience about avoiding drinking and driving. It seemed a little over-the-top for the situation.

All-in-all, a good time. A win would, of course, have made it much more enjoyable!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Our Road Trip to Lincoln

I forgot one: I hate their cheap plastic seats.

For the record, revkah did like their seats and such better that Carver-Hawkeye, so that was fun.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And for some reason, their scoreboard operators, the ones who put up the player #s and names had #0 as "Team" instead of Boozer.

Didn't see this for anybody else all game long.

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Your assessment sounds exactly like what I felt after the Nebbie football game last year. I don't overtly dislike Nebbie fans in general, just the ones that think they should and always are national championship contenders and the football world revolves around them. Consequently, that happens to be about 90% of Nebbie fans...

Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    Your assessment sounds exactly like what I felt after the Nebbie football game last year. I don't overtly dislike Nebbie fans in general, just the ones that think they should and always are national championship contenders and the football world revolves around them. Consequently, that happens to be about 90% of Nebbie fans...
    I guess that's what to expect when that's all your state has.

Somehow, we started talking volleyball on the way home, and it got me thinking, "How does anyone convince talent from the West Coast that Nebraska would be a good home for their next four years?"

How did that program ever become the powerhouse that it is?

And we don't even want to consider traffic in that town after Memorial Stadium lets out......

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 529

It was weird. We wanted to ask a question from a guy that looked that he was supposed to be helping out. So I smiled and said hi, he glanced at me, thined his lips and looked over my head.

Yet there were a couple fans near where we sat that were very helpful and acutally polite.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Nebraska fans aren't mean spirited towards opposing teams fans. They're just annoying because they always think they can do something better. They think their team never commits a foul or penalty and think the opposing team does every play or possesion.

I have been to 3 basketball games in Lincoln. I have a problem with there fans at basketball games. The gym is silent if they are behind but some how gets really loud when they take the lead.

As far as Lincoln goes, I have nothing against it but, I think it's kind of boring. I don't know why, but I know that I wouldn't like to live there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    We had a great time (mostly) going to the game out there in Lincoln. We really would have preferred a win, but we were in the minority on that one. Some stuff that we observed:

1) On the 3 critical measures of a game mentioned most often, we:
    a) Shot 50%
    b) Only Lucca made a three.
    c) We consistently outrebounded the Huskers all the way through.
    d) 17 turnovers. Good night. I'm not sure who Lucca saw in the front row/backcourt, but that was a horrible moment to watch out there.

2) If you take a wrong turn in Lincoln, you're driving forever. Whoever zoned that place to have a university, capitol, and downtown area all shoved together should be slapped around until I get tired of watching. We stayed at a hotel on NW 12th, which somehow has no connection to N/S 12th (R street is the break).
    If you ever get lost in Lincoln, just drive on O street around the world. It's like the Nebraska Equator, in that it goes everywhere.

3) Whoever designed Devaney to have one entry point might be the same genius that zoned that city. One traffic choke point to enter the place, and two exits, one of which takes you in seemingly random directions. And parking in the State Fairgrounds? I was asking revkah on the way in/out of Devaney "so, did we park three blocks over and two blocks up, or two blocks over and three blocks up?" What a planning nightmare!!

4) Most Nebraska fans were very decent, and it was funny to watch their anger at the refs. One guy behind us (he and his buddy were definitely filling the redneck quota) kept yelling about handchecking. If the refs were calling handchecking like this dude wanted, there wouldn't be any Huskers on the floor.

5) The rednecks behind us kept churning out racially inappropriate comments. I'll be generous with that. "Make sure the white guy guards you," and "How does a black guy get outrebounded by a white guy? Call Guinness, that's got to be a world record." Drinking and rednecks should not be mixed together.

6) The guy next to me and I agreed that it's not exactly the same as the old Johnny Orr/Danny Nee days, with fast-paced play and NBA players on the court.

7) The video clips and presentations that they made for Seniors Day were very classy and extremely well done. We really enjoyed the Krenk kid from Nebraska City moving from manager to player, and the ovations he receives from the crowd there. We have friends in Nebraska City and good memories there (awesome Valentino's!), and it was fun to see a kid from there and what he means to their fans.

8) I really enjoy the gameday atmosphere that they create, with the lighting, music, giveaways, and such. The only detriment I saw (besides Huskers) was the strange demonstration they did to educate the audience about avoiding drinking and driving. It seemed a little over-the-top for the situation.

All-in-all, a good time. A win would, of course, have made it much more enjoyable!
    Hahaha! Pretty sure though that most 'necks are publicly spewing that crap BEFORE they get the sauce in 'em.

Generally about the same experience I had going to the football game there in 2007. I don't have big problems with Husker fans, and I completely agree about that area of Lincoln being poorly laid out. It makes for weak tailgating. The miracle is before the game you see maybe 10,000 people milling about and then you walk into the stadium and BAM, 80K!

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

You actually went to the game? I feel sorry for you. Although I think Lincoln is a fun place to go.