Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Youth Excuse...

I just watched a Vanderbilt team that started a Freshman at the 1, a Junior at the 2, a Freshman at the 3, a Freshman at the 4, and a Sophomore at the 5 (that's 3 Freshmen, 1 Sophomore, and 1 Junior) beat a top 20 LSU team AT LSU. Further, their top two subs were a Freshman and a Sophomore. Their top seven is a rotation of 4 Freshmen, 2 Sophomores, and 1 Junior.

Vandy is 18-11 (7-8) with this youth filled line-up. Shouldn't they be 11-18 with all of this youth? According to what I read from many of you on this site...that is what you believe.

I can hear it now...

+ addendum excuse #1 - "but, but , but they have more BB tradition than we do at ISU...they just reload every year"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #2 - "but, but , but they got lucky in recruiting and have this year's Kevin Durant, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley...wait 'til that guy is gone next year"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #3 - "but, but , but they get McD AA guys every year and we just can't at ISU"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #4 - "but, but , but they get guys that want to come because of their big name coach and we don't have that at ISU"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE (Kevin Stallings is their coach in case you didn't know).

+ addendum excuse #5 - "but, but , but they have very low academic standards at Vandy...they let guys in that we just can't recruit at ISU because of this"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #6 - "but, but, but Vandy is a FB power with a lot of $$ they can throw at the BB program to make things happen and we just can't do that at ISU"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

My point is simple...excuse making is for losers. I don't see Vandy making excuses because of their youth. At the very minimum, the Vandy program is equal to ISU in terms of hurdles that need to be overcome (and I actually think the ISU job is an easier job than Vandy in terms of these hurdles).

My old HS FB coach had it right..."excuses are like a--holes...everyone's got one and they all stink!"

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

Re: The Youth Excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    I just watched a Vanderbilt team that started a Freshman at the 1, a Junior at the 2, a Freshman at the 3, a Freshman at the 4, and a Sophomore at the 5 (that's 3 Freshmen, 1 Sophomore, and 1 Junior) beat a top 20 LSU team AT LSU. Further, their top two subs were a Freshman and a Sophomore. Their top seven is a rotation of 4 Freshmen, 2 Sophomores, and 1 Junior.

Vandy is 18-11 (7-8) with this youth filled line-up. Shouldn't they be 11-18 with all of this youth? According to what I read from many of you on this site...that is what you believe.

I can hear it now...

+ addendum excuse #1 - "but, but , but they have more BB tradition than we do at ISU...they just reload every year"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #2 - "but, but , but they got lucky in recruiting and have this year's Kevin Durant, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley...wait 'til that guy is gone next year"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #3 - "but, but , but they get McD AA guys every year and we just can't at ISU"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #4 - "but, but , but they get guys that want to come because of their big name coach and we don't have that at ISU"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE (Kevin Stallings is their coach in case you didn't know).

+ addendum excuse #5 - "but, but , but they have very low academic standards at Vandy...they let guys in that we just can't recruit at ISU because of this"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

+ addendum excuse #6 - "but, but, but Vandy is a FB power with a lot of $$ they can throw at the BB program to make things happen and we just can't do that at ISU"...SORRY...NOT THE CASE.

My point is simple...excuse making is for losers. I don't see Vandy making excuses because of their youth. At the very minimum, the Vandy program is equal to ISU in terms of hurdles that need to be overcome (and I actually think the ISU job is an easier job than Vandy in terms of these hurdles).

My old HS FB coach had it right..."excuses are like a--holes...everyone's got one and they all stink!"
    Now that you found an exception to the general rule, should we all give you mad props for pointing out ONE exception?

Nice tirade.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 928

What is your point?

Are you arguing for firing Greg?

Are you trying to get fans to give up and quit following the team?

I really don't think anyone here feels this year has been a success. And bully for Vandy for winning on the road.

I just don't get what you are trying to prove with this comparison.

Last edited by bawbie; 03-05-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think his point is that although Vandy is having a decent mid-pack season in a very weak SEC with young players, that it is the norm that young teams succeed in such transitions.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    Now that you found an exception to the general rule, should we all give you mad props for pointing out ONE exception?

Nice tirade.
    Actually, many on here have posted another prime example previously...Butler...very young team and NCAA bound.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 126

Lets face it walk ons starting means something is wrong...... and that leads to poor coaching and recruiting. GM will never get it done in the Big12. and ISU Basketball deserves better and expects it!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I do not use the "youth" excuse. I use the "athleticism" excuse. And without watching the game, I'm 100% positive Vandy had much much more athletic ability.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Actually, many on here have posted another prime example previously...Butler...very young team and NCAA bound.
    And exactly what conference do they play in????

I'm not saying it is impossible(Fab 5 at Michigan). I'm saying it isn't as common as these 2 examples.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    What is your point?

Are you arguing for firing Greg?

Are you trying to get fans to give up and quit following the team?

I really don't think anyone here feels this year has been a success. And bully for Vandy for winning on the road.

I just don't get what you are trying to prove with this comparison.
    That I am sick of hearing all of the excuses as to why we are doing so poorly in MBB.

No, I have never said "fire the coach" but we damn sure should have more than 35% of the fan base (according to a recent poll on this site that I posted) concerned about the direction of the program. I find it insane that 65% of our fan base appears to be 110% in McDermott's camp with the results he has shown.

No, I want the fans to be passionate and not happy about being a doormat in the conference.

There is a difference between realizing we have not had "success" and realizing our program is in extremely poor shape right now. We have a guy that is a possible NBA lottery pick, the Big 12 is relatively weak this year, and we are looking at 3-4 win season.

Does this post clarify for you?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 350

I personally believe that if Brackins doesn't return next year that GMac will be gone in abut 2 years. To many body blows...he's punch drunk.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 73

I wish I could give you more than +1 in reputation points cyclonealum1. I actually think you can flip-flop the 65% and 35%. On the street the Cyclone fans are done. On message boards we are all "fanatics" and come up with every excuse in the book as to why the basketball program is one of the two worst in the Big XII.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    I think his point is that although Vandy is having a decent mid-pack season in a very weak SEC with young players, that it is the norm that young teams succeed in such transitions.
    Let's take your words here and apply them to the real focus of this site and this thread...ISU MBB:

I think his point is that although ISU is having a crappy cellar-dweller season in a very weak Big 12 with a likely NBA lottery pick leading the team, that it is the norm that young teams fail in such situations.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    I wish I could give you more than +1 in reputation points cyclonealum1. I actually think you can flip-flop the 65% and 35%. On the street the Cyclone fans are done. On message boards we are all "fanatics" and come up with every excuse in the book as to why the basketball program is one of the two worst in the Big XII.
    Do you have some kind of proof, a sample set maybe, about what the "street" folk are saying? Id' appreciate some facts behind this one. Thanks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 928

That I am sick of hearing all of the excuses as to why we are doing so poorly in MBB.

No, I have never said "fire the coach" but we damn sure should have more than 35% of the fan base (according to a recent poll on this site that I posted) concerned about the direction of the program. I find it insane that 65% of our fan base appears to be 110% in McDermott's camp with the results he has shown.

No, I want the fans to be passionate and not happy about being a doormat in the conference.

There is a difference between realizing we have not had "success" and realizing our program is in extremely poor shape right now. We have a guy that is a possible NBA lottery pick, the Big 12 is relatively weak this year, and we are looking at 3-4 win season.

Does this post clarify for you?
    No, it doesn't clarify for me at all.

Unless your point was just to whine and ***** and moan.

Then it's all perfectly clear.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Kevin Stallings is fairly well-known and respected.