Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Thumbs up Gary Thompson All-American Book

How many of you have read this book ? I just finished reading this book and I highly recommend it to everybody read it. Gary Thompson, is the true meaning of a person that if you work hard at something you can suceed. Before reading this book I did not realize how much he had done for Iowa State University, and how thankful we should be we have people out there like him.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Gary Thompson All-American Book

Yes, I've read the book. And I was at Iowa State 1953-57 and enjoyed every minute of his success. Watched him score 40 against a good Vanderbilt team as a sophomore. Followed the team to Kansas City twice to watch the Big Seven holiday tournament. Watched the great 39-37 Cyclone win over Kansas and Wilt in the old armory. Watched him become a baseball All-American. Marveled at how Gary turned down professional baseball in favor of a career in the oil industry and stardom with the Phillips Oilers. Gary made the right choices, raised a great family, was a true Christian , and remained one of Iowa State's lifelong fans.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Gary Thompson All-American Book

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Yes, I've read the book. And I was at Iowa State 1953-57 and enjoyed every minute of his success. Watched him score 40 against a good Vanderbilt team as a sophomore. Followed the team to Kansas City twice to watch the Big Seven holiday tournament. Watched the great 39-37 Cyclone win over Kansas and Wilt in the old armory. Watched him become a baseball All-American. Marveled at how Gary turned down professional baseball in favor of a career in the oil industry and stardom with the Phillips Oilers. Gary made the right choices, raised a great family, was a true Christian , and remained one of Iowa State's lifelong fans.
    Oh I bet those were the days ! Now, if your kid is not involved in AAU sports along with school sports, they do not have a chance.

I agree with you that I was impressed how he turned down a professional career in favor of the oil industry. I am sure none of the kids today would make that choice.