Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

KU are they a top 8 team?

On ESPN's most recent round of bracketology the have KU listed as a number two seed. Meaning in theory they are one of the top 8 teams in the country.

In addition to being a Cyclone I am a KU fan and wanted a view (outside of phog.net because it would be biased as hell) as to whether Kansas is really that good this year. I think it is fairly clear they are in the top 2 of the Big 12 (though an MU fan would disagree) but having not watched much basketball outside of the Big 12 this year, when I compare this years KU team to last years national championship team, this years team doesn't even hold a candle in terms of skill and style of play. Did the top level teams in college basketball just get worse from last year? Is ESPN just giving them more credit than they deserve because they are called Kansas? Or is KU really that good this year? Thanks for your thoughts.

Cyclone: 1st, Jayhawk: 2nd, Hawkeye? Never!

Recruit
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: KU are they a top 8 team?

I think KU is that good. They are flying under the radar and are the best team in the big 12. Find a team that has improved as much from November until now as Kansas has...I don't think there is one. They have like 5 losses I think, 2 of those being a 1 pt loss to UMass and 2 pt loss to Mizzou. Blown out by Michigan State and closer loss I think to Syracuse. They play great defense and don't turn it over much...oh and Sherron Collins does everything as their leader. I'm not gonna say they win the national championship...but it wouldn't shock me either

Addict
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 210

Right now Kansas seems like a 4 seed to me. Im not looking at their record; which is nice BTW, but I just dont see the players there to take them very far. Self is a great coach and I like the style they run, but its a coin flip with them and about 20 or so of the top 25 teams.

Theres UNC, Pitt, UConn, and the rest.

#BEATIOWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Is it possible to like ISU and KU (*shudder*)? I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about it

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tyrelrobert View Post
    Is it possible to like ISU and KU (*shudder*)? I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about it
    When one is your undergrad institution and one is your current grad school, yes it is possible. When i enrolled at KU in 2007 I decided I would root for KU as long as they aren't playing ISU or their winning doesn't in some way adversely affect ISU (though given the current disparity in the two athletic programs that is yet to be an actual problem). Needless to say when I bought my season football and basketball tickets at the start of the season and started attending KU games, little did I think they would win the Orange bowl and a national title. Needless to say 2007 was an easy year to become a KU fan especially when balenced by ISU being down right now in both major sports. So I would say to you given the lack of any strong rivalry between ISU and KU yes it is possible to like both as long as you put one ahead of the other.

Cyclone: 1st, Jayhawk: 2nd, Hawkeye? Never!

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,095
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

I'd put them a bit lower than that 10-12 range in my book.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As another ISU alum, KU grad student I may be biased as well but I was a little surprised when I saw KU was projected as a 2. I think they have the potential to be that good but if a school without that name had the same resume I doubt they'd be projected that high. I don't know that we've seen KU against a true "top team" (at least at full strength) since the Michigan State game and that didn't go well for them.

However, they had every opportunity to win against Mizzou and Syracuse but couldn't close the deal and their problem all year has been going through these long scoring droughts where they either blow a lead or fall way behind. They have the talent to overcome that but it just seems like that type of thing will kill you in the tournament more than it won't.

If they win out in the regular season and win a game in the Big 12 tourney I think they'd probably deserve a 2.

Recruit
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

What's with all these ISU undergrad...KU grad students? I'm planning doing the same thing, just got all my stuff sent in this week

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

Kansas does nothing for me. Maybe I was spoiled by their strong cast of characters the previous 3 years. Outside of Collins, I'm not impressed. Aldrich and his 1930's jumper is the most annoying thing in college sports.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 55

what coles jumper is sweet ask bill cartwright

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

KU is winning in a bad conference right now... They took advantage of rebuilding while the league was down and might get a good tourney run now because of it...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 481

Does anybody here think KU could hang with the ISU team with Fizer and Tinsley on it? That was a two seed too. I don't see KU on that level. I was very impressed with KU last year, this year, meh, good but they just don't seem physically tough. I also think the Big12 is down this year, as is college basketball.

I think Mizzou will go farther in the tourney than KU. Just a hunch. I think they are a harder matchup for teams to prepare for. I was very impressed with Mizzou's coach.

Full disclosure: I absolutely loathe KU and have an even lower opinion of KU's fans. I have been to Lawrence and just don't see the magic.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,138
    Given: 221

Quote Originally Posted by NewCoke View Post
    On ESPN's most recent round of bracketology the have KU listed as a number two seed. Meaning in theory they are one of the top 8 teams in the country.

In addition to being a Cyclone I am a KU fan and wanted a view (outside of phog.net because it would be biased as hell) as to whether Kansas is really that good this year. I think it is fairly clear they are in the top 2 of the Big 12 (though an MU fan would disagree) but having not watched much basketball outside of the Big 12 this year, when I compare this years KU team to last years national championship team, this years team doesn't even hold a candle in terms of skill and style of play. Did the top level teams in college basketball just get worse from last year? Is ESPN just giving them more credit than they deserve because they are called Kansas? Or is KU really that good this year? Thanks for your thoughts.
    I think KU and MU will finish one and two in conference this year, with OU finishing third. KU should win out, and I think MU will beat OU in Columbia next week.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 413

Quote Originally Posted by tyrelrobert View Post
    KU is my team, ISU is 2nd...

although i will cheer for ISU over KU when we play because a win against them means a lot more to us than a loss does to them.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,763
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 1,300

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    Does anybody here think KU could hang with the ISU team with Fizer and Tinsley on it? That was a two seed too. I don't see KU on that level. I was very impressed with KU last year, this year, meh, good but they just don't seem physically tough. I also think the Big12 is down this year, as is college basketball.

I think Mizzou will go farther in the tourney than KU. Just a hunch. I think they are a harder matchup for teams to prepare for. I was very impressed with Mizzou's coach.

Full disclosure: I absolutely loathe KU and have an even lower opinion of KU's fans. I have been to Lawrence and just don't see the magic.
    to answer your first question, no way does this KU team stay even close to Fizer/Tinsley group. Doesn't matter if it is in Hilton, Lawrence, KC, or OKC. I wouldn't be shocked if they did get a #2 because of the ranking, but it would be a weak 2, if there is such a thing.

I think UNC, PITT, UCONN are clearly the best, even though I believe Dyson's injury could really hurt UCONN. Then their are a bunch of teams that could be in the 2 seed range. Should be a fun tourney once again.

Are you a member?