Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 4

2002 Dakota Overheating

So I have this 2002 Dodge Dakota V8 that has started giving me problems this week (well actually 2 years but who is counting). Earlier this week I went out and started it up in the morning to warm up and when I jumped in the truck 20 minutes later it was blowing cold air from the vents even though it should have been hot air. I turned off the fan for a moment and turned it back on and it started blowing hot air. 1st thing in my head was that it was low on coolant but the reserve tank was at the right level.

2 days later I'm in the McDonalds drive thru and decide to turn on the heat, blew cold air (temp gauge is normal level). So I turn the fan off and turn back on and of course hot air is flowing.

No problems for the next 2 day until today when I'm sitting in the Home Depot parking lot and notice the gauge is creeping to the left to where it was close to setting the check engine light off. I get it home and check for any visible leaks, none. Open the radiator cap (you should never do this kids because hot coolant can burn skin) and had good pressure and observed coolant moving in the right direction.

Any ideas what is going on? 2 years ago I had the radiator replaced as it was clogged. In August I had the clutch fan replaced and I replaced the thermostat in December just for the fun of it. Truck has just over 100,000 miles.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: 2002 Dakota Overheating

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneDaddy View Post
    Any ideas what is going on? 2 years ago I had the radiator replaced as it was clogged. In August I had the clutch fan replaced and I replaced the thermostat in December just for the fun of it. Truck has just over 100,000 miles.
    I was going to say thermostat, but sounds like you already did it... Unless, by chance, you took it to CARx in which case there's a very real possibility that they SAID they replaced the thermostat and CHARGED you for replacing the thermostat but didn't actually replace the thermostat at all...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 122

Sounds like you might have air pockets in your coolant system. It will look like its full of coolant, but the air pockets are tough to move through the heater core.

Could also be the heater valve. Its a valve that opens when commanded after you turn on the heat. It might be sticking or might not have a good connection (most are vacuum controlled).

Walk On
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Had a similar problem with a 1998 Dakota, and Benson Motors in Ames replaced the thermostat and that fixed everything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 134

Is your engine temp running around 185-200 range when at normal operating temperature? If your reserve tank is at the correct level and your temperature guage moves all around then you could have either a water pump going bad or a air pocket in the cooling system. If your temp guage stays in the operating temp I mentioned above, I wonder if the same crud that caused you to replace your radiator has plugged up your heater core so you aren't getting good flow through that limiting your heaters ability to heat your truck. This is also assuming the thermostat you replaced in December is still good. If you have air pockets in your cooling system and it gets to the thermostat, the thermostat can't heat up to where it will quit working properly, but then your engine most like runs cool all the time this time of year.

Having cold air being blown out your heater, shutting off the fan, waiting a bit and then turning it back on after awhile and having hot air come out does not make sense unless maybe your heater core is filled with crap but moves enough coolant to build up some heat when no air is moving through it. Would you by chance have antifreeze smell at all inside the truck?

Last edited by Cyclonesrule91; 02-25-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Head gasket problems can cause overheating. I hope that isn't the case but a lot of times that is the problem.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Sounds like you might have air pockets in your coolant system. It will look like its full of coolant, but the air pockets are tough to move through the heater core.

Could also be the heater valve. Its a valve that opens when commanded after you turn on the heat. It might be sticking or might not have a good connection (most are vacuum controlled).
    Could be air pockets or your thermostat.
    When you car is warm, feel the coolant line returning to resevoir, if it is warm and the coolant is flowing, it probably isn't the thermostat.
    For air pockets, start your car when the engine is cool. Let it run until the thermostat kicks in and you can feel the warm coolant in the return line. Before it gets too hot, open the cap on the resevoir and let it run for a while. The Air bubbles will get forced out the resevoir.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 134

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    Head gasket problems can cause overheating. I hope that isn't the case but a lot of times that is the problem.
    If it's a head gasket, the truck will run hot because it is not pressurized any longer and he will be losing antifreeze either through the exhaust or by leaking. I am thinking this would not be the problem if it runs at normal operating temp and he isn't losing fluid.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 95

So I have this 2002 Dodge Dakota V8 that has started giving me problems this week (well actually 2 years but who is counting). Earlier this week I went out and started it up in the morning to warm up and when I jumped in the truck 20 minutes later it was blowing cold air from the vents even though it should have been hot air. I turned off the fan for a moment and turned it back on and it started blowing hot air. 1st thing in my head was that it was low on coolant but the reserve tank was at the right level.

2 days later I'm in the McDonalds drive thru and decide to turn on the heat, blew cold air (temp gauge is normal level). So I turn the fan off and turn back on and of course hot air is flowing.

No problems for the next 2 day until today when I'm sitting in the Home Depot parking lot and notice the gauge is creeping to the left to where it was close to setting the check engine light off. I get it home and check for any visible leaks, none. Open the radiator cap (you should never do this kids because hot coolant can burn skin) and had good pressure and observed coolant moving in the right direction.

If the radiator was clogged, there is a chance there is a similar problem in the heater core as well. Or as others have said, maybe air in the system or a stuck heater control.

But that doesn't explain the overheating, unless the thermostat you put in is junk. That would explain getting cold air, but not the erraticness of it. I guess it depends on how long a "moment" is. I had an Altima with a plugged heater core. When I'd first crank the fan, I'd have heat, but not hot. The longer I ran it, the colder it got. Then I'd shut it off for 5-10 seconds and turn it back on, and i'd get some heat temporarily, but it would only last until all the heat was extracted from the core.

When things get totally confusing, oftentimes it ends up being more than one thing.

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 175

Its a Dodge.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

I had a water pump problem with mine... Check and make sure the fan doesn't shake...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 724
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Would you by chance have antifreeze smell at all inside the truck?
    I don't have an antifreeze smell in the truck or coming out of the tailpipe. I thought maybe I had a head gasket problem but wouldn't I smell antifreeze coming out of the tailpipe?

It could be that the heating core is clogged or I have an air pocket ... I won't rest until I solve the problem though

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

I don't have an antifreeze smell in the truck or coming out of the tailpipe. I thought maybe I had a head gasket problem but wouldn't I smell antifreeze coming out of the tailpipe?

It could be that the heating core is clogged or I have an air pocket ... I won't rest until I solve the problem though
    Head gasket problem is what I had in my old '97 and I could smell the antifreeze but only after the problem was to the point of having to replace the head gasket/engine.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 724
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    Head gasket problem is what I had in my old '97 and I could smell the antifreeze but only after the problem was to the point of having to replace the head gasket/engine.
    When you change the oil wouldn't you see anti-freeze in the oil. I always have Stew Hansens change the oil, you would think they would be on top of that as they love to try to suck money out of me all the time.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 175

When you change the oil wouldn't you see anti-freeze in the oil. I always have Stew Hansens change the oil, you would think they would be on top of that as they love to try to suck money out of me all the time.
    I doubt it. They probaly drain it into a big container. Take an oil sample your self and send it in to a lab. If you are not losing much anitfreeze than I doubt you have a problem with af in your oil.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne