Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

Lets Talk about the Nebraska Game!

I'm excited to see how our guys respond upon returning to Hilton after a road win.

Nebraska has lost 3 games. Oregon is good but they also lost to Rutgers and Hawaii. They beat Creighton but Creighton appears to not be as good as once projected.

Maric is the leading scorer at an impressive 18 points a game. After that, it is spread out pretty evenly. They have a couple decent 3 point shooters.

Our rebounding average is almost 10 rebs higher.

The key to the game is obviously to limit Marics points and touches.

I don't see this game being tougher than the Mizzou game. If we play a decent game, we should win.

Thoughts?

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Lets Talk about the Nebraska Game!

I think you hit on the big key...rebounding. If we can outrebound them, and I think we can, I really like our chances. Sounds like McDermott said we are going to try and limit touches down low to Maric, which is easier said than done.

Right now, I see Iowa State winning something like 68-59

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

We can beat Nebraska but our defense has to play like it did at Mizzou in the fourth quarter of the Mizzou game.

Final Score Ia State 64 ... Nebraksa 59.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I'm excited to see how our guys respond upon returning to Hilton after a road win.

Nebraska has lost 3 games. Oregon is good but they also lost to Rutgers and Hawaii. They beat Creighton but Creighton appears to not be as good as once projected.
    Actually, Oregon just beat #1 UCLA the other day. They're pretty good.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If I recall, hasn't nebraska come out victorious in their last 2 visits to Hilton? thats gotta stop, now. Maric lit ISU up last year, but hopefully the staff has scouted properly and will have the team better prepared for him compared to last years staff. Perhaps by rotating Gray, Marsden, C. Johnson, and Hubalek on him can frustrate him a bit. I mus admit I don't know a whole lot about this corn team this year besides waht was just posted. This is a huge opportunity for the team to gain confidence in conference play and start out 2-0.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Actually, Oregon just beat #1 UCLA the other day. They're pretty good.
    Yeah, I know they are. I said they were good. My sentence above wasn't clear, though.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    If I recall, hasn't nebraska come out victorious in their last 2 visits to Hilton? thats gotta stop, now. Maric lit ISU up last year, but hopefully the staff has scouted properly and will have the team better prepared for him compared to last years staff. Perhaps by rotating Gray, Marsden, C. Johnson, and Hubalek on him can frustrate him a bit. I mus admit I don't know a whole lot about this corn team this year besides waht was just posted. This is a huge opportunity for the team to gain confidence in conference play and start out 2-0.
    Maric ate up Marsden, Hubalek and Taggert last year to the tune of 30 points in Hilton. There's a big difference, though, in that we played the 2-3 zone last year, which really is a crappy defense to defend a post player with a decent outside shot, like Maric. Plus, the 2-3 isn't a great rebounding defense, giving Maric second chance shots, something i expect will be different this year. We don't have a solid man to match up on Maric, but at least there will actually be *someone* assigned to him this year. Plus, i think our low post help defense is much better with two athletic wing players (Clark and W Johnson). Keep Maric off the boards, deny second chance shots.

Assume Maric puts 20 points up against us, the key, in my opinion, is to limit the scoring opportunities of Nebraska's super freshman, Ryan Anderson. Richardson can score, but the other key outside players, Richardson and Jamel White, aren't the dynamic scorer he is. Overall, ISU might be deeper, although Maric will be the best player on the court. Look for Nebraska to run 3 and 4 guard offense through much of the night.

Nebraska is dead last in rebounding in the Big 12, so look for ISU to really pound the boards with Hubalek, Johnson, and Clark to get easy second and third chance baskets, and to limit Maric to one shot on offense. Nebraska is also at the bottom in field goal defense percentage and 3 point defense percentage, usually a sign of a team with guards that don't put pressure on the perimeter. And Nebraska isn't the steal machine Mizzou is, so expect ISU to push the ball up the court more often.

Nebraska is good because of Maric and Anderson. Stop those two, and rely on the half court offense to create mismatches when Nebraska play 3 and 4 guard offense at the wing and forward position, and i think we can win.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Bush's Iraq speech is 8pm iowa time on wenesday...will WOI butt in and make us miss some of the game?

Last edited by JHutch; 01-08-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
    ISU ROCKS!!!!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Interesting stat....no team in the Big 12 has EVER come into Hilton and won three in a row. Nebraska has won two in a row...it better not be the Fuskers that break that streak.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 103

I have no doubt that Cory Johnson will handle Maric 10X better than our players did last year. Hopefully we have a great turnout for our 1st home conference game. For selling the most tix in sevral years, the crowds have been dismal.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by edenclone View Post
    Interesting stat....no team in the Big 12 has EVER come into Hilton and won three in a row. Nebraska has won two in a row...it better not be the Fuskers that break that streak.
    Kansas is on a two game winning streak here, too, aren't they? They beat us at home in 2005 and 06.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    I have no doubt that Cory Johnson will handle Maric 10X better than our players did last year. Hopefully we have a great turnout for our 1st home conference game. For selling the most tix in sevral years, the crowds have been dismal.
    I don't know, he got beat repeatedly by Marshall Brown on Saturday. I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, but i think they'd be better off with Hubalek and Marsden tag teaming him, and rely on weak-side sagging of Clark and W. Johnson instead.

Realistically, i think you just assume Maric gets his points, work hard to keep him from getting second chance points, and take your chances against the rest of their offensive players.

THe more i think about it, the more i *really* like how our half court offense matches up at wing and power forward position.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

i dont think we have a game left on our schedule i would term as should win. i think we are capable of beating anybody, but without a great effort we are certainly capable of losing to anybody. as long as we play hard and good defense we can be tough, especially at home. regardless, this is a fun team to watch as they seem to have some real mental toughness.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    I don't know, he got beat repeatedly by Marshall Brown on Saturday. I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, but i think they'd be better off with Hubalek and Marsden tag teaming him, and rely on weak-side sagging of Clark and W. Johnson instead.
    True, but Brown was a smaller/quicker bigman, Maric is a big lumbering piece o' meat like Oden. Hes not gonna out hustle you, hell just get the ball down low and back it up till he has a layup.

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ISU and NU have had some exciting games in the past several years and this one should be similar.

Games like this will determine whether ISU is a middle of the pack team or in the bottom tier. I think if they come out focused and limit turnovers they can certainly get a win. Starting 2-0 would be a fantastic start for this team.