Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Comparing Coaching Staffs 2008 to 2009 (VERY LONG)

I wanted to evaluate our coaches and with the turnover, where we're better or worse through the changeover.

Head Coach
    2008 - Chizik: I was the biggest Chizik supporter out there. One thing Chizik did while at ISU imo was improve our overall talent. I fully believe in the philosophy of recruiting the states of Florida and Texas heavily as does every other Div. 1 program. However, one area that i thought Chizik lacked was coaching his overall team. He may be a great D. Coordinator, but, the game changes when your the head man. I think he has a lot to prove at Auburn, luckily for him, he selected his assistants differently this time. Of course having Auburns football budget don't hurt, but, his selections at ISU definitly didnt help him succeed at ISU.
    2009 - Paul Rhoads: Still to be determined. He's came out of the gate with more appreciation from the ISU following because he's an iowan. He relates to our fan base and he's not looking at ISU as a stepping stone, he's looking to make it his legacy! Now the same condition applies to Coach Rhoads and time will tell, is he a great Head Coach or is he simply a great Coordinator. As with Chizik, i think Rhoads is a great recruiter, and thats what a team like ISU that has seemingly everything you need to compete needs - talent because everyone else in the Big 12 is getting better.
    Advantage: For now, i'm going with Rhoads, not on hype, but on the conviction that he's coaching ISU from the heart and that will translate onto the field.

OC: 2008 Robert Mcfarland, 2009 Tom Herman: My biggest complaint with McFarland was scoring. His offense was great at moving the ball and being efficient, but was predictable and didnt use his players to their advantage. Thats been our downfall - scoring!!! With Herman, first reaction is innovative, high scoring offense. Granted the team has more playmakers and Herman himself added to that in this years recruiting class, but, i think Herman will prove to be a huge success at ISU.
    ADVANTAGE - 2009 Herman

DC: 2008 Wayne Bolt, 2009 Wally Burnham: I think bolt had issues with what/how Chizik wanted to play. But, our defense was horrible, and it translated directly at the schemes. Even our opposition told us so. Nebraska's qb said last year, in preparing for ISU, he had seen more complex schemes in high school!!! I don't think you will hear that will Wally's defenses. This is exactly what we needed on that side of the ball. Someone who's seen everything and someone who can ADJUST during the game.
    ADVANTAGE - 2009 Burnham (HUGE)

QB: 2008 Tony Petersen, 2009 Tom Herman: Under Petersen it almost seemed that Arnaud began to fall into similarities with Bret Meyer. Look at one wide receiver and throw it to them - regardless. If your going to be a good qb, you have to look at the situation and be able to go to secondary reads. If Arnaud cannot do this, then get someone that can - but, for me it appears to be coaching. Under herman, his qb at Rice simply blossomed into a star. I attribute that to the player and coaching.
    ADVANTAGE - 2009 Herman (AGAIN HUGE)

RB: 2008 Jay Boulware, 2009 Kenith Pope: I really like boulware, i think his players did a good job. However, one thing i've seen out of Pope's players - the tenacity with the ball. I love that in a RB, i thought many times last year our RB's went down with little effort from the defender. I think under Pope our RB will run more aggressively, but we lose something in recruiting because Boulware was a great recruiter.
    ADVANTAGE: EVEN

WR: 2008 Jay Rodgers, 2009 Luke Wells: Obviously we had a talent in Rodgers as he made the jump to the NFL from ISU. Luke Wells has huge shoes to fill, his receivers at Louisiana Lay. didnt exactly put up mind boggling numbers, so jury's out on him. But, as with Jay, Luke is an excellent recruiter and that always helps. Luke should be able to show his abilities, the WR position on the 2009 roster will be one of the most talented positions on the field.
    ADVANTAGE: 2008 Jay Rodgers (HUGE)

TE: 2008 Scott Fountain, 2009 Courtney Messingham: this is a landslide and not necessarily for the coaching of the position. When we had retained Fountain i thought that was a huge coup for isu, and obviously now losing him is equally devastating. However, Messingham has experience with recruiting and will be given the chance to recruit, my guess is, he will focus on Iowa recruiting heavily.
    ADVANTAGE: 2008 Scott Fountain (Scott is a huge loss for ISU)

OL: 2008 Robert Mcfarland, 2009 Bill Bleil: The big disappointment for many isu fans this past season was watching our OL play so miserably after a promising 2007 season for this position. Once the OL got set back to a semblance of the 2007 season, it seemed to gel, but too late. Bleil will have to develop some better line play for us to be successful. One problem i have with the OC also coaching the Line is there is just a lot of coaching that is occurring, i think have someone dedicated to the OL will be a step in the right direction. If we see consistant play out of our OL this fall, our team will score a lot of points - Mark it!!!!
    ADVANTAGE: 2009 Bleil - mainly because he can focus just on the position, one of the most critical on either side of the ball.

DL: 2008 Mike Pelton, 2009 Curtis Bray (DE) Shane Burnham (DT): one position that seemed to get manhandled every week was our front four. We never had a push, never held our ground, probably one of the biggest weaknesses on the team. Not all the fault of the players, again schemes play heavily into how a position appears in game time, but our DL has to improve for us to be successful. Curtis and Shane have their hands full. With our DL play last year, i'm happy we have two coaches assigned because they have a lot to learn.
    ADVANTAGE: NONE

LB: 2008 Wayne Bolt, 2009 Wally Burnham: with burnhams experience coaching at FSU for 10 years at the lb position he might know a little something about producing stud linebackers. Again, a position we need improvement out of and i hope the recruits we've brought in have some speed, agility and TACKLING ABILITY. Wally's probably watching tape and saying "wow these guys don't know how to wrap up".....Hopefully he can change that.
    ADVANTAGE: 2009 Burnham

DB: 2008 Jeff Koonz & Shawn Raney 2009 Chris Ash: This one's easy - hands down Chris Ash. Our secondary played passive and seemed to be out of place on a lot of long td plays. Previously with Ash as our secondary coach our db's were lean, mean smacking machines. The best secondary's isu has ever had were coached by Chris Ash - need we say more!!!!!
    ADVANTAGE - 2009 Chris Ash (HUGE)

Special Teams: 2008 Jay Boulware, 2009 Paul Rhoads: We lost a great special teams coach in Jay, however, i love to see a Head Coach that sees the importance that Special Teams plays in our games. After all, there's three facets of the game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Special Teams is the only one without a coordinator. Coach Rhoads sees this as a place that his ability to coach can have a huge impact on the game and i think it will pay dividends.
    ADVANTAGE: EVEN

Overall, the staff that Coach Paul Rhoads has assembled is simply awesome. I think this will translate immediately to the product on the field. The second huge factor to each coach is that they've all had very large roles in recruiting which as a whole will help us in our efforts to improve the overall talent on our team. IMO, if Chizik has this staff at ISU, instead of leaving with 5 wins he would have had a lot more.

Great job Coach Rhoads, looking forward to seeing your first game and of course a win!!!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,318
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 951
    Given: 48

Re: Comparing Coaching Staffs 2008 to 2009 (VERY LONG)

Kinda hard to compare the two at this point and time, isn't it?

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    One thing Chizik did while at ISU imo was improve our overall talent.
    Chizik took over a 4-win team and in two seasons he turned it into a 2-win team that lost it's last 10 straight games. You don't do this with an "upgrade" in talent.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Chizik took over a 4-win team and in two seasons he turned it into a 2-win team that lost it's last 10 straight games. You don't do this with an "upgrade" in talent.
    It's called bad coaching.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Kinda hard to compare the two at this point and time, isn't it?
    Not comparing results, just a simple comparison on overall coaching and direction of the program. Thats why i said, jury's still out, but, on paper, i think this is a better overall staff.

monty, i think its the truest sense of coaching ability. The challenge of this staff is just that, they have to be good coaches because ISU will never have 14 - 5* commitments like Texas or Oklahoma, but it would be fun to compete with them based on schemes and adjustments during the game. But, overall, i think there's a lot of talent on this team, now if it can be coached to be effective is another question!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Why does everyone think that Chizik improved our talent level? His recruiting classes were in the 60's....which is no better than McCarney.

Walk On
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This may be a silly question but were Bolt or Mcfarland retained at all? I thought a few players really wanted them around still. Someone please fill me in

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 45

whats the difference between advantage NONE and advantage EVEN?

Husker Hater

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 333

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
    This may be a silly question but were Bolt or Mcfarland retained at all? I thought a few players really wanted them around still. Someone please fill me in
    No, they were not retained.

Walk On
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

thanks!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 443
    Given: 309

Heard they were looking to sell satellite dishes....

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Why does everyone think that Chizik improved our talent level? His recruiting classes were in the 60's....which is no better than McCarney.
    I think it's because of Leonard Johnson. Everyone talks about "all" the young talent Chiz brought in but the only one anyone can ever really identify is LJ. A few others might have potential but sure aren't ready to play at this level yet. Otherwise, why did they lose 10 straight games? It wasn't all coaching because we clearly had a talent deficit to pretty much every team we played, and it's not like Baylor, UNLV, Colorado, Kansas State, and Texas A&M were loaded with top level talent. I give Chiz credit for finding and landing LJ, but signing one quality Big XII level player in 2 years is not good enough.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it's because of Leonard Johnson. Everyone talks about "all" the young talent Chiz brought in but the only one anyone can ever really identify is LJ. A few others might have potential but sure aren't ready to play at this level yet. Otherwise, why did they lose 10 straight games? It wasn't all coaching because we clearly had a talent deficit to pretty much every team we played, and it's not like Baylor, UNLV, Colorado, Kansas State, and Texas A&M were loaded with top level talent. I give Chiz credit for finding and landing LJ, but signing one quality Big XII level player in 2 years is not good enough.
    Monty, in Mac's last recruiting class he brought in some solid guys in Arnaud, Garrin, Parker, Robinson, Frere and Lamaak. But, i think the talent as a whole is better, just don't think the coaching or schemes were as good.

I think you've missed a few players that Chizik brought in that are pretty good:Sedrick Johnson, Darius Darks, Banks, Benton, McDonough, Tiller, Range, Mahoney, Haughton, Bates (quitter) Dedrick, Black, Carpenter (Alabama now), Franklin (Collin) and KO....To me, thats a pretty good list of guys with some being redshirted etc, but that only shows that Chizik was here to build it the right way - redshirt as many of the players as you can to prepare them both mentally and physically for the Big 12.

Just my opinion, but, i think the talent is improved, i thought the offensive and defensive coaching was horrible!!!!

We will see if i was correct. I kind of compare our situation a bit to Nebraska a year ago when they brought in Pellini...Callahan had assembled some great talent, he just couldnt get it to do what needed to be done. Thats what Rhoads faces - the talent is there, now we need to prepare these kids better and put them into a position to make plays. Play to our advantages - not let the opposing offense or defense dictate to us....thats what i felt watching us last year - we were predictable and very generic in our schemes. Hopefully that changes!!!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 98

There was talent on the field last year. It just didnt get used right.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Monty, in Mac's last recruiting class he brought in some solid guys in Arnaud, Garrin, Parker, Robinson, Frere and Lamaak. But, i think the talent as a whole is better, just don't think the coaching or schemes were as good.

I think you've missed a few players that Chizik brought in that are pretty good:Sedrick Johnson, Darius Darks, Banks, Benton, McDonough, Tiller, Range, Mahoney, Haughton, Bates (quitter) Dedrick, Black, Carpenter (Alabama now), Franklin (Collin) and KO....To me, thats a pretty good list of guys with some being redshirted etc, but that only shows that Chizik was here to build it the right way - redshirt as many of the players as you can to prepare them both mentally and physically for the Big 12.

Just my opinion, but, i think the talent is improved, i thought the offensive and defensive coaching was horrible!!!!

We will see if i was correct. I kind of compare our situation a bit to Nebraska a year ago when they brought in Pellini...Callahan had assembled some great talent, he just couldnt get it to do what needed to be done. Thats what Rhoads faces - the talent is there, now we need to prepare these kids better and put them into a position to make plays. Play to our advantages - not let the opposing offense or defense dictate to us....thats what i felt watching us last year - we were predictable and very generic in our schemes. Hopefully that changes!!!!!
    Arnaud might have been the easiest highly ranked recruit to get in ISU history. Pretty sure it was settled that he was going to ISU when he was a zygote...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.