Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think the reason Mac takes more heat than Chiz did..

is in football you know who you should blame for a play call, OC or DC. Basketball is completely different in that the head coach takes the blame for poor offense and matador defense.

This in no way is my way of defending GMac or Chiz. Just an observation.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Re: I think the reason Mac takes more heat than Chiz did..

It's because basketball is far easier to turn around, you need one or two guys to really turn a team around and alot of times, these guys can come in and play as freshmen and make an imapct. Football takes alot more time, there isn't AAU allowing guys to play against top notch competition so the transition from HS to college is a much bigger jump, the guys need more time to get acclimated, more time in strength and conditioning. We still won't know how well Chizik did untill this year and next.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 63

I think its a combo of a few things. Granted the D under Mac has been pretty good, but the offense is not all there. There isn't much uptempo/non-exciting.
    I think that Hilton offers a great home field advantage too. I think you should win all non-conference there, maybe lose a couple conference (Kansas, one more), and come close to splitting on the road.
    To not even possibly make it to the NIT this year is amazing considering my optimistic eyes when I looked at our players at the beginning of the year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    I think its a combo of a few things. Granted the D under Mac has been pretty good, but the offense is not all there. There isn't much uptempo/non-exciting.
    I think that Hilton offers a great home field advantage too. I think you should win all non-conference there, maybe lose a couple conference (Kansas, one more), and come close to splitting on the road.
    To not even possibly make it to the NIT this year is amazing considering my optimistic eyes when I looked at our players at the beginning of the year.
    +1

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,982
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 36

I totally agree with the time thing. It's year 3, we aren't in any better shape, post season wise, than we were when Mac took over. IMO, another part of it is the time that Mac has had here. This is his 3rd year. I think we all knew that nothing would have put Chizik on the Hot seat last year. Had he stayed and we had another 2 or 3 win season, I think there would have been plenty of heat on Chizik.

The other glaring thing I see with Mac is the level of improvement. So far, in 3 years, I don't see anything that makes me think next year will be any different from the past 3.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I totally agree with the time thing. It's year 3, we aren't in any better shape, post season wise, than we were when Mac took over. IMO, another part of it is the time that Mac has had here. This is his 3rd year. I think we all knew that nothing would have put Chizik on the Hot seat last year. Had he stayed and we had another 2 or 3 win season, I think there would have been plenty of heat on Chizik.

The other glaring thing I see with Mac is the level of improvement. So far, in 3 years, I don't see anything that makes me think next year will be any different from the past 3.
    Cue McD supporters blasting your ***.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    It's because basketball is far easier to turn around, you need one or two guys to really turn a team around and alot of times, these guys can come in and play as freshmen and make an imapct. Football takes alot more time, there isn't AAU allowing guys to play against top notch competition so the transition from HS to college is a much bigger jump, the guys need more time to get acclimated, more time in strength and conditioning. We still won't know how well Chizik did untill this year and next.
    Good and accurate post. I was just trying to point out that very few people actually know who the assistants are in basketball. The headcoach is central to everything.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

I think it has to do with past relative success of the two programs at ISU. While the football team went to a few bowl games, they were very minor games. Other than the Rosenfels-led team that beat Pitt in Phoenix, I wouldn't consider any of them anything to get overly excited about. In short, the football program has been "below-average" for twenty plus years.

On the other side of the equation, the basketball team got to within a game of the Final Four! While they didn't achieve a lasting perch at that level, they were still competitive and knocked off some rated teams every season. GMac was doing the same thing over at UNI. In short, the basketball program has been "above-average" for the past twenty plus years and we hired a coach who's done great things with fewer resources in his past.

In a nutshell, I'd submit that, year in and year out, right or wrong, the expectations for the basketball team are simply higher at ISU. As the B-ball team continues to struggle, Greg's taking the heat from the fans.

I might get labelled "Mr. Obvious" for this, but I really think it's that simple.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post

Yep, our bball is totally stuck on stupid. At least in fball the defense collapsed like the economy and we are looking for a dead cat bounce next year.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 206

Its because basketball is easier and takes less time to turn around. In basketball you just need a handful of good recruits in football you need a couple dozen.

Plus, history has shown us that it is much easier to win at Basketball at ISU than football.

One thing is for sure, Gmac's gameday coaching is exponentially bettter than the Chiz.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

There are a number of reason and I don't think any of them have to do with not knowing where to pass the blame.

First, there were allot of screaming fans at the end of football season this past year, but it was only Chizik's second season and he did demoted his coordinators (showing that he wasn't satisfied).

This is Mac's forth season and he still hasn't shown improvement, nor has he made changes with staff. The only changes he has made were to replace the coaches that left him.

Iowa State has had more success in basketball than football. In basketball over the past ten years, we have won 2 Big12 titles (which I believe is second only to Kansas for most Big12 titles) and have been to the Elite 8. In football over the past 100 years, we have two shares of a conference title (I think: one Big12 North, one Missouri valley).

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Exactly. You have 22 starters in FB and you really need to be 2 deep at every position because of the nature of the sport which means you likely need 35-40 guys minimum that can play to be competitive. In BB you need a couple of guys that can really play and some decent role players and you can compete.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 983
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 7

What year did ISU tie for the Big 12 North title in football? I must have been stoned and missed it!

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    What year did ISU tie for the Big 12 North title in football? I must have been stoned and missed it!
    Considering you went to K-State, that makes absolutely perfect sense.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 2

Football has had its moments of success, but not as consistent as basketball. I think Gmac is taking alot of heat because of that, both sports take time to rebuild. Basketball should take less time than football, but sometimes that is not the case especially when you have players leave the program like the ISU men bball team has had here of late. Unfortunately for us that sets us back another year or two years because we are not deep in key positions. I see the recruiting getting better in both sports especially in basketball because we are behind the times in talent level in key positions right now our record shows that.