Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclone Hockey Sweeps MO State

The #6 Cyclones played sloppy this weekend after a month long layover between games, but were able to sweep the visiting Missouri State Bears in two of the most exciting games at Ames/ISU Ice Arena all season.

Game 1 had the Cyclones trading goals all game long with the Cyclones getting the final tally from Freshman, Pete Majkozak from White Bear Lake, MN with just 1:03 left on the clock. The Cyclones won the game 8-7 led by Allen Raushel who had 3 goals and 2 assists and Majkozak who netted two goals.

Game 2 looked lost when the Cyclones went down 5-1 in the second period. But the team would show that all of that conditioning pays off as they scored 5 unanswered goals. They were down 5-3 after two, but the third period belonged to Pete Majkozak. He scored all 3 goals in the third for the Cyclones giving him a 5 goal weekend and the Cyclones the win...6-5.

The team is currently on a 4 game winning streak and are now 19-6-1 this season. They'll play #11 and CSCHL Rival Western Michigan next weekend 7:30 Friday night and 3:30 in the afternoon Saturday. Try and make it out to see one of the best ACHA Hockey teams in the nation! Go CYCLONES!

www.cyclonehockey.com

Last edited by CycloneHockey; 01-08-2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Time Change

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 910
    Given: 189

Re: Cyclone Hockey Sweeps MO State

Went to my first Cyclone hockey game today acctually...started out slow for the clones, but it was a pretty sweet game!

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Went to my first Cyclone hockey game today acctually...started out slow for the clones, but it was a pretty sweet game!
    Same here. Quite the experience- I had a lot of fun, and I went by myself! It'd have been even better if I'd found some friends to come. I did get kind of irritated with the smallish group of... students? (not sure) standing on the middle-left section of the bleachers. They were yelling and chanting for the ENTIRE time. That in itself is great, but they NEVER cheered for the Cyclones. All they did was come up with mind-numbingly stupid attempts at insulting the Mo State players. (For example, when the Bears scored goals, these folks' brilliant retort was, "We still hate you! We still hate you!") When no material was available in that direction, they heckled the refs instead, for no reason whatsoever. I really hope that's not the way students normally are at games. I saw a bunch of others- like me- sitting scattered around the arena.

Unintelligent hecklers aside, what a great sport! I didn't (and mostly don't) know much of anything about hockey, but I picked up a lot just watching this one game. I hope to make it back to a lot more games in the future!

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    Same here. Quite the experience- I had a lot of fun, and I went by myself! It'd have been even better if I'd found some friends to come. I did get kind of irritated with the smallish group of... students? (not sure) standing on the middle-left section of the bleachers. They were yelling and chanting for the ENTIRE time. That in itself is great, but they NEVER cheered for the Cyclones. All they did was come up with mind-numbingly stupid attempts at insulting the Mo State players. (For example, when the Bears scored goals, these folks' brilliant retort was, "We still hate you! We still hate you!") When no material was available in that direction, they heckled the refs instead, for no reason whatsoever. I really hope that's not the way students normally are at games. I saw a bunch of others- like me- sitting scattered around the arena.

Unintelligent hecklers aside, what a great sport! I didn't (and mostly don't) know much of anything about hockey, but I picked up a lot just watching this one game. I hope to make it back to a lot more games in the future!
    Yeah I was sititng right behind them, and to top that off, there was a cub scout pack sitting right to the left of us. Alot of profanity was chanted at times, and you could really tell how upset the parents were getting at it.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Yeah I was sititng right behind them, and to top that off, there was a cub scout pack sitting right to the left of us. Alot of profanity was chanted at times, and you could really tell how upset the parents were getting at it.
    Really? I was the guy sitting immediately across the aisle from the drunken hecklers. I occasionally yelled out "Go Cyclones" or something like that when people got too quiet.

I was wondering about the Scout parents. I couldn't see any of them, but I suspected that some were probably getting pretty angry at the copious amounts of profanity.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Recruit Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The Heckling does put us in a predicament. We try to keep the profanity with them to a minimum and try to keep it under control, but it doesn't really help. Plus those people are season ticket holding students for the most part. So again, we try to keep our season ticket holders happy.

I can tell you this. It wasn't until recently that that section wasn't completely full of students that cheered for the cyclones, but at the same time cleverly heckled the opposing team. I think there will be more students around who will get it back to the way it was. However, as you can imagine, when beer used to be sold that section was much worse.

I think next time we might have to move the Cub Scouts to another section. But thanks to those of you that showed up. If there is anything you'd like to see us do or something we could do better, we always are here to listen. Thanks again for your support. And be sure to get out to our games against Oklahoma in a few weeks!

Friday Night, Jan. 26th at 7:30 Ames/ISU Ice Arena (Sign Up for the CF group outing!)

Saturday Jan 27th at 3:30 at WELLS FARGO ARENA! (12.50 for adults and you get the Cyclones AND The Iowa Stars game that night!, 6.50 for season ticketholders and ISU Students!) You really Can't beat that price at all.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, to be quite honest, I found alot of there chants pretty damn funny, but funny because of the stuff they were chanting, which was completly inappropriate at times. But I guess my sence of humor finds inappropriate things humorous. I also was told that it was not near as full today as it usually is. I showed up right at 2:15 and had to park about 100 yards away from the parking lot enterance, so i would hate to see what it is like when that place is full. Maybe you should talk ISU and the City of Ames in to expanding the parking lot. I know they own the land directly to the north by the old dairy farm.

Also, I think the games are highly under advertised. I acctually went today with some people from work who talked me into going, and had a blast. But I am willing to bet that alot of students at ISU and people living in the area have no clue that there are hockey games going on when they are being played.

Recruit Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

We have struggled with advertising this year due to budget constraints, but locally our games are advertised on both KASI and 105.1 Channel Q and we advertise in all of the local papers.

That's part of my new job with the team though, so thanks for the comments! We're working on it. And today wasn't even close to how we usually get. So make sure to come back soon! We'll have some great games at home.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post

dude the students are always like that at the games. get used to it or don't go. and we're not unintelligent, most of us are quite knowledgeable about the sport of hockey. there aren't that many refs in the CSCHL, so we know the refs pretty well... the 'evers, do you have any gum??' is a longstanding joke, and a couple of times he has thrown gum to the students... the refs usually laugh along with the heckleing, or just ignore us.

i'm glad that you came to support the cyclones, and that you enjoyed the game, but if the students bother you a lot I would recomend not going. i don't know how long the students have been like they are, but I am a senior, and when I was a freshman there was a group of super-seniors that had been going to games heckling other teams since their freshman year...

and the "we still hate you" chant is far from original... I remember that being a chant from the minor league games that I went to as a kid. most of the chants the students yell are ones that we have heard at lots of hockey games...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

IMO, hockey is a sport that's not all that family friendly. However, that doesn't mean I condone some of the various chants that come from the student section.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I don't condone everything the group says either, and really people either love us or hate us. Most of us have talked to Coach Murdoch multiple times, and he says he "loves us rowdy fans." And if you were at the Missouri game, you know that some games we definitley get in the other team's heads...

that being said, I will admist that it wouldn't hurt my feelings if some of the chants were written out of the lineup...

Recruit Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

It's true, Coach loves em gettin in the other team's heads. Thanks for being supportive jt and we hope to see you guys and hear you for the upcoming series against Western Mich and especially against Oklahoma.

I would suggest to other fans that don't like the student chants, to sit as far away as you can, because our team is really worth watching and we'd hate to not have you with us at our games. Keep supporting Cyclone Hockey and we will continue to try to make the game experience enjoyable for everyone! Thanks!