Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 172,997, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    172,997
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 18

    Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    We are planning our Masters trip. Initially we were going to fly into Columbia, SC and drive to Augusta for the one day we have tickets, stay in Augusta that night then drive back to Columbia and play golf for a couple days before flying home. But, one of our party suggested we stay closer to Hilton Head and play golf around there. Flights to Savannah or Hilton Head are a little more expensive than to Columbia but if the area is a lot nicer it may be worth it. Any suggestions?



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 144,823, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,615
    Points
    144,823
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 12

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    We are planning our Masters trip. Initially we were going to fly into Columbia, SC and drive to Augusta for the one day we have tickets, stay in Augusta that night then drive back to Columbia and play golf for a couple days before flying home. But, one of our party suggested we stay closer to Hilton Head and play golf around there. Flights to Savannah or Hilton Head are a little more expensive than to Columbia but if the area is a lot nicer it may be worth it. Any suggestions?
    The golf in Hilton Head/Savanah will blow away Columbia. How long are you going? Another fun idea would be to fly into Jacksonville and go up the coast, play St Augustine/Ponte Vedra, Amelia Island, Jeckyll Island, Sea Island, then Hilton Head. Of course it depends on how much you want to spend, drive, and how long you will be out there...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 158,327, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,888
    Points
    158,327
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    I remember when I use to golf......before kids.

    cried when I sold the sticks 4 years ago.


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,355, Level: 21
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Wallacelantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    249
    Points
    5,355
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Please take me with you



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 144,823, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,615
    Points
    144,823
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 12

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Do you have a place lined up to stay in Augusta yet? Best thing to do is rent a house, most of the locals leave town and rent their houses out...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 172,997, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    172,997
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 18

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Do you have a place lined up to stay in Augusta yet? Best thing to do is rent a house, most of the locals leave town and rent their houses out...
    We have a hotel in Augusta. Only staying there one night. We're going to fly into either Columbia or Savannah (or Hilton Head) Tuesday, drive to Augusta that day/night, stay in Augusta Tuesday night, watch practice round Wed., drive back to wherever we flew into Wed. night, golf Thurs and Fri, fly back Sat. So, not a lot of time for driving around.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 67,657, Level: 80
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclones_R_GR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,971
    Points
    67,657
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 87

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    We have a hotel in Augusta. Only staying there one night. We're going to fly into either Columbia or Savannah (or Hilton Head) Tuesday, drive to Augusta that day/night, stay in Augusta Tuesday night, watch practice round Wed., drive back to wherever we flew into Wed. night, golf Thurs and Fri, fly back Sat. So, not a lot of time for driving around.
    I think you would be happier flying into Savannah unless the cost is quite a bit higher. The golf will be much better around Hilton head and the beaches are gorgeous.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,294, Level: 75
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 756
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,725
    Points
    59,294
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 10

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I remember when I use to golf......before kids.

    cried when I sold the sticks 4 years ago.
    Mine just sit in the basement collecting dust.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 172,997, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,657
    Points
    172,997
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 18

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    The golf in Hilton Head/Savanah will blow away Columbia. How long are you going? Another fun idea would be to fly into Jacksonville and go up the coast, play St Augustine/Ponte Vedra, Amelia Island, Jeckyll Island, Sea Island, then Hilton Head. Of course it depends on how much you want to spend, drive, and how long you will be out there...
    so, what courses should we look at in the Hilton Head area?



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 144,823, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,615
    Points
    144,823
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 12

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    so, what courses should we look at in the Hilton Head area?
    My favorite, Oyster Reef... Of course you have to try to get on Harbour Town. Old South and Barony at Port Royal are pretty fun and easier too...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 148,621, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ZJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    3,366
    Points
    148,621
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

    Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    If you go to Hilton Head, then Sea Pines Resort is where I would start your search. Remember that will be that area's peak season, so hopefully you have your tax returns by then! Golf in that area is not cheap whatsoever, so be prepared. Columbia on the other hand, still has some good courses but if money isn't a huge factor then definately Sea Pines Resort and Hilton Head would be my first choice.

    Here is a link: Hilton Head Resorts- Sea Pines- Hilton Head Island Resort, Vacation Rentals


    Last edited by ZJohnson; 02-19-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: grammar

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 28,247, Level: 51
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Points
    28,247
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cool Re: Anyone familiar with the Augusta, GA area?

    Sea Pines Resort (Hilton Head) is a great choice! Great area and a great golf course! Smallest greens on the PGA Tour. Last I checked though a round was $250+.

    When I went to Augusta, we flew into Atlanta and took the interstate straight over to Augusta. Half way between Atlanta and August is one of the best resorts and collection of golf courses you will ever find call Reynolds Plantation. Great, great golf courses! the PGA plays tournaments there as well.


    King James

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM