Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 21

Bad weather driving

So, I just need to vent. Yesterday here, it was snowing pretty much all day, but didn't start sticking until rush hour, of course. And, the roads were that snotty slick stuff, that can be really slick. I was on a 2 lane country road driving about 40 mph, and I had a car pass me, another blick their lights at me. I of course felt that 40 was fast enough, even in a 4 wheel drive. I get a few miles from my house, and their is an ambulance, fire trucks, tow truck, and police dealing with some kind of accident on the other side of the road. And even seeing this, the person behind me kept blinking their lights and tailgating me. Have we all forgotten how to drive in bad weather.

Of course, many of you will recall recently when Obama's ingnaguration was happening, my wife was there, but I went to KC to see family, how terrible bad 1 80 and 1 35 were. I should have gone south through St Louis. Anyway, I counted 87 vehicles off the road between Iowa City and De Moines, just on my side of the road. The wind was blowing, drifting snow across the road. And yet, people were insistent on still driving 70 and 80 MPH. I have to be honest, I am usually more brave because I have driving for years in many bad storms and know I 80 and I 35 that I could drive them in my sleep. Many cars and Semis didn't have people in them, but many of the vehicles did.

My wife as well almost got run off the freeway last night, and there were cars all over the place going off the road.

What the hell kind of sense is this? Am I the only one that is feeling this way?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 350

Re: Bad weather driving

You are deffinitely not the only one who feels this way.
    So many people are in such a hurry and do not realize how stupid they are until they are in a ditch. Too many people think they are invincible! I would rather take a few extra minutes to get where I am going and drive slow than be overconfident, drive fast, and end up in a ditch or hit somebody.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 10

I get a kick out of all the db's that suck at driving. Nearly everyday I will see an accident on my way to or from work. On Tuesday, I was driving to work down Ashworth and some older woman plowed the **** out of a huge telephone pole when the roads were perfectly clear. It was on of those huge ones that only a freight train could take out. Needless to say, her car was done for. One thing I can't stand are ****** drivers.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

That is the one thing I worry about most when I am out driving around in the winter.

I have driven in Iowa enough to know I can handle pretty much any condition. But there are just so many idiots out there.

To bad public transport isn't a great option around here, then maybe we could get some of the idiots off the road.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 24

I wonder how many of the cars in the ditch were counting cars in the ditch.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    ...And even seeing this, the person behind me kept blinking their lights and tailgating me...
    Kinda of a jerk move it you ask me... "What am I going to do, pull into the other lane on this 2-lane road? No, go around and stop being a jerk with your light blicking. I'm not moving."

Maybe they wanted to play the part of the crazy euro in the BMW by blinking their lights amid loud techno music.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

Gotta love the idiots! Making my commute home from Urbandale to Ames and was passing one the few vehicles around going slower than me. A Dodge Ram pick up pulled up on my bumper and honked his horn at me and waved for me to get around the car and hurry while I was at it. Guess who was buried in the median two miles south of the Huxley exit. I slowed down, rolled down the window, honked the horn, and flipped him the bird of paradise. The guy actually had to grin! He must have seen the humor of it all. I just wonder how many he pi$$ed off between Ankeny and where he entered the median?