Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New Staff

Boy i sure like the look of this Football Staff. PR has put together what i think is a staff that will be around for a while. There's allot of talent in this Staff. I think it will show up on the field also. What do you think?

Live for yourself, your family, your friends then your job!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Re: New Staff

Just wait. I'm sure after we fail to win the big12 next year numerous fans on this site will call for all their heads.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    Just wait. I'm sure after we fail to win the big12 next year numerous fans on this site will call for all their heads.
    Good one--couldn't see that one coming. I didn't think this thread was about basketball.

Anyway, if we're successful, I really don't see Mr. Herman staying around too long. If his offense is good here, he'll be getting a hefty raise to go somewhere else--that's the nature of the beast at ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by cyco2000 View Post
    Good one--couldn't see that one coming. I didn't think this thread was about basketball.

Anyway, if we're successful, I really don't see Mr. Herman staying around too long. If his offense is good here, he'll be getting a hefty raise to go somewhere else--that's the nature of the beast at ISU.
    Someone had to say it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 925

Apparently you missed the conversations on this site from 2.5-3 years ago if you think this thread only has to do with basketball...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Apparently you missed the conversations on this site from 2.5-3 years ago if you think this thread only has to do with basketball...
    I guess I did. What did those conversations discuss? Barney Cotton? Chizik's Staff? Planes on a treadmill?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,778
    Given: 3,975

The good thing about this is that he should actually have to do something good here before he leaves unlike some other coach who just sucked it up while he was here.
    This will put us in a position to maybe give him a raise and keep him, or hire another excellent OC when he leaves.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanman View Post
    Boy i sure like the look of this Football Staff. PR has put together what i think is a staff that will be around for a while. There's allot of talent in this Staff. I think it will show up on the field also. What do you think?
    I'm with cyfanman on this one.

I originally liked the Chizik selection too, even though I wasn't sold on getting rid of McCarney quite as soon as the AD did it. But when Chizik started pulling in these red neck no nuthins from bumbleweed mississippi (or was it Louisiana), I really started to question the hire. And when Cheezhead lost ALL of the non conference games in the first season except the Iowa game, I knew we had a problem. What's more, when Cheeshead discovered that he could open up a 20 point halftime lead and still loose to Kansas only a week after his team couldn't come back from a 21 point defecit to lowly UNLV, I think at that point he knew he had a problem too.

If we are able to win 3 of 4 of our non-conference games, and at least 2 of our conference games, I will be happy. Of course, Chizik left the bar pretty low, so I won't complain if we can't even meet my lowly standard.

But I stray off topic: I think PR has done an excellent job of picking quality assistants. And if they find success and head off to the four winds to coach elsewhere, well... If it happens at Oklahoma, then it happens at ISU. Fat Man left OK to coach at KU. Chuch "it" Long left for San Diego (?) only to fail (ha ha). Stoopid's little brother(s) left for exile in the desert SW.

CC
    ISU Alum 1990

Last edited by cc1091; 02-20-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanman View Post
    Why do ISU fans place so much emphasis on a staff being "around for a while"?

We are talking college FB here...they call it a "coaching carousel" for a reason. If a HC stays 10 years that is a very, very, very long time (I think Spurrier was only at Florida for 11 for example). Assistant coach tenures tend to be much, much shorter than HC tenures...especially if you have hired good assistants...because they get chances to move up the ranks in other programs.

Frankly, the best programs in the country have a lot of staff turnover every year...go look at LSU, Alabama, USC, Florida, etc....you will see a lot of coaching turnover.

What will make me like the staff is them winning a lot of ball games. If we continue to win 2, 3, 4 games a year and we have no coaching turnover in the staff...that probably should tell you we have not hired a good staff...rather we have a weak staff. Does this not make sense to people?

I just don't get why we have so many place such importance on staff tenure.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cc1091 View Post

I originally liked the Chizik selection too, even though I wasn't sold on getting rid of McCarney quite as soon as the AD did it.

But when Chizik started pulling in these red neck no nuthins from bumbleweed mississippi (or was it Louisiana), I really started to question the hire.

If we are able to win 3 of 4 of our non-conference games, and at least 2 of our conference games, I will be happy. Of course, Chizik left the bar pretty low, so I won't complain if we can't even meet my lowly standard.

But I stray off topic: I think PR has done an excellent job of picking quality assistants. And if they find success and head off to the four winds to coach elsewhere, well... If it happens at Oklahoma, then it happens at ISU. Fat Man left OK to coach at KU. Chuch "it" Long left for San Diego (?) only to fail (ha ha). Stoopid's little brother(s) left for exile in the desert SW.
    1) 12 years wasn't enough of a "look" at McCarney? Jeesh!

2) I know it is in vogue to bash Chizik but by all accounts he dramatically upgraded the talent on our squad through his recruiting efforts. It pisses me off that he left before putting some wins on the shelf for ISU but can you blame the man for doubling his salary and taking a higher profile gig? I'll bet if you were in sales at a lower profile company and you were at about 25% of your quota and a higher profile company in your industry came and offered you twice as much comp guaranteed you would move in a heartbeat.

3) Boy, do I hope you are not a typical ISU fan...I would hope that a typical ISU fan has bigger expectations than winning three non-conference games and 2 conference games.

4) As I said previously...assistant coaches moving elsewhere to move up the coaching ladder is generally a sign that your program is doing something right. You mention coordinators getting HC gigs but you also see a lot of lower assistants move at these top schools.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,124
    Given: 1,011

Chizik and his staff recruited well, but their coaching left a lot to be desired. I'm not sure if he assembled a staff with recruiting in mind or what, but this staff has me very excited, and Chizik's staff most certainly did not.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 91

But I stray off topic
    ya think?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 873
    Given: 602

I'm with cyfanman on this one.

I originally liked the Chizik selection too, even though I wasn't sold on getting rid of McCarney quite as soon as the AD did it. But when Chizik started pulling in these red neck no nuthins from bumbleweed mississippi (or was it Louisiana), I really started to question the hire. And when Cheezhead lost ALL of the non conference games in the first season except the Iowa game, I knew we had a problem. What's more, when Cheeshead discovered that he could open up a 20 point halftime lead and still loose to Kansas only a week after his team couldn't come back from a 21 point defecit to lowly UNLV, I think at that point he knew he had a problem too.

CC
    ISU Alum 1990

Wait until he finishes off Auburn the next two years. Two conference wins may be matched in the SEC.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 170

Who is going to coach Special Teams?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,778
    Given: 3,975

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    Who is going to coach Special Teams?
    It has been mentioned that CPR was going to coach Special Teams.