Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 104

Re: What happens if Brackins leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Let me start by saying I'm NOT for firing gmac at this point. But the opinion I've seen on here that losing a coach "put's you back another 3-5 years" is flat out wrong. If you hire the wrong guy, well yes, of course that puts you back but if you hire the right guy it takes no where near 3-5 years. This is not opinion, it is fact because you see it ever single year in college basketball. Good coachs can turn around programs in 1-2 years. I'm not saying gmac is not a good coach either, I'm willing to be patient for at least another year but losing/firing gmac would not set us back as much as people on here say.

I am right with you here. Exactly.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

we will slip further into the inevitable decline that has become cyclone basketball.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If Brackins leaves, then we will not have him anymore

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

First off, I don't think that Brackins is ready for the NBA, but the NBA draft is a strange animal. They draft on potential more than anything and Brackins has a lot of potential. The key would be whether he's a lottery pick and if not, whether another year at ISU would make him a lottery pick.

If Brackins does go, then I don't necessarily agree that ISU will be worse. With continued development of our current players, addition of the recruits and redshirts and signing of Dendy, I think that ISU could be better. The problem is that they won't be improved ENOUGH. A couple more conference wins is not going to be enough to get us into the NIT. At that point, Pollard is going to have to make a tough decision because fan support is going to drop. How many people will drop their season tickets with no Brackins to root for and a still bad team?

On the flipside, say Brackins stays. I could see this team as a bubble team next year very easily. My problem is, say they make the NIT next year. Then, we lose Brackins, Gilstrap, JVB. The 2010 team is not going to be that good without those players (barring a Barnes or Ejim signing). So, GMac completes Year 5 with one postseason appearance in five years. Not pretty.

I honestly don't see how GMac survives 2010 whether Brackins stays or not. But if he goes pro, I think it ends after next season. And that is without any future defections...who's to say that DG doesn't have enough of GMac yelling at him or Lucca decides to bail for Germany? Past results would say that things like that are more likely than not.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Does anyone on here really, honestly think this team is going to be any better next year if Craig leaves? If they are worse (which I think is inevitable, w/out CB), will you continue to defend Gmac because of it? Not meant to flame, but I can personally handle excuses for two years. In year 3, it's time for improvement. In year 4, it REALLY better be there. Right now, I think we will finish this year with a worse record than last. If Brackins leaves, and I think he does, I think we will finish worse next year than we do this year. That is a steady decrease for 4 straight seasons. Hilton will be emptier than Carver. Some here will keep defending it, and calling those who don't whiners, or bad fans, or what have you, but people can only stomach this so long.

What has happened to ISU basketball (for me) is like watching your best friend falling for, and getting married to a Succubus (the spell check actually recognizes Succubus!), and now he's driving a pink Mary Kay mini-van. I don't like feeling this way. I want to see Gmac win! I want ISU basketball to be a proud program that plays tough, and sometimes plays over their talent level when the big boys come to Hilton! Those teams of Orr's, Floyd's, Eustachy's, and sometimes Morgan's all had the ability to dig down, pull out their guts and beat teams that were more talented than they were. Gmac's haven't done it once in 3 years. I don't have anything against Mac except this steady decline. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade...
    The program, not flying confidently, loses both engines. The program takes a nosedive to earth, and explodes in a ball of flame and smoke. Amid the rubble, GMac and pollard escape, and proclaim that this did not happen and they say its still the first year!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by candg4ever View Post
    He is not "big enough". He is tall enough, but needs more bulk and strength to play the 4 in the NBA. He'll won't be a center and, despite his own beliefs, he's not quick enough or a good enough ball handler to be a 3. If he's thinking straight, and he seems intelligent and well-informed, so there's no reason to think he's not, he'll be back at least next year and then reassess his and the team's situation.

I know it's overboard, but the announcers last night talked about that very thing, (as most do now), and one said that he would be a possible player-of-the-year candidate. That in itself is a stretch unless he continues to improve and the team plays much better next year. Even then, he won't stand a legimate chance, (see Troy Davis), for any national honors other than all-american.

I think CB has his head screwed on straight and will do the right thing for himself and for the team.
    I agree with you that i think he will stay at least one more season.

As far as size goes. HE IS BIG ENOUGH. This is basketball.

He wouldnt be a star in the NBA but he will be a very good role player. He is starting to knock down the 3 consistantly. 20 ft shots are a good quality to have in the NBA.

I think he could be a potential player of the year next year. We would have to be much better as a team though.

Just look at how much he has improved from last year. His scoring average is about 9 points higher.

If he just gets a little bit better at handling the ball he will be one of the best players in college basketball, or rookies in the NBA.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You just made a case for Brackins to leave. Look how much he has improved, his scoring average is almost 9 points higher and he's being doubled every game. He's hot right now and climbing in every draft mock-up. He's a year older then most sophomores, and can still be drafted on potential. If he comes back and improves but only slightly he would actually drop in the draft.

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The program, not flying confidently, loses both engines. The program takes a nosedive to earth, and explodes in a ball of flame and smoke. Amid the rubble, GMac and pollard escape, and proclaim that this did not happen and they say its still the first year!!!
    Haha! I think it may be proclaimed year -4.

From what I understand of the situation (which isn't that much, but more than most) if we didn't deal with Morgan the NCAA was going to have some very serious things to say about it.
    Of course! The NCAA totally forgets about infractions after the coach is gone. Just ask Indiana. I would say Morgan was at least as bad as Sampson.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,167
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

THEN WE WOULD SUCK AGAIN. NOT THAT WE DONT SUCK RIGHT NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    And I'm thinking that cycofan just made the air, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'll be honest, Cycofan1 sounds much older than what he makes me believe on here.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal&Gold11 View Post
    If Brackins leaves, then we will not have him anymore
    hey good point.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

12 to 14 wins.

Recruit
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I can't remember which game, but they interviewed Craig and he made the comment that he was here for all four years. Why do you people try to bring up problems. It makes Cyclone fans look bad. If I was a recruit and started looking at this board, I would start to question what kind of fans Cyclone Fans were. It looks to me all you want to do is look at the glass being haft empty instead of half full.

I haven't read all the post on this group, but have alot and just got tire of ready something that hasn't happen.

Craig said he was here for four years then I believe him. By the way you should have been a student back in the early 70s, if you want to talk bad basketball.

Robert C Larson

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by WLCY View Post
    I can't remember which game, but they interviewed Craig and he made the comment that he was here for all four years.
    Did he not say he was here "as long as he needed to be?"

Starter
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    When it's year four of a coaches tenure, and we've been sliding worse and worse every year, 1-10 is going to suck. Yet, there will be those who say everything is fine, and that coach is doing a great job, and none of this is his fault.
    Please answer these questions honestly...

1) Who do you have locked up to hire?

2) Are you ready to get worse (it CAN get worse)?

3) Are you prepared to pay Mac for not coaching?

"They'd write things like...Lloyd. See you around....maybe."

--Lloyd Dobler

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 529

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Did he not say he was here "as long as he needed to be?"
    Yup. That is what he said.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/