Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 25

Fate of US auto industry

What the heck do we do about the not-so-big three? It makes me cringe seeing headlines in which GM and Chrysler might need a 21.6B "loan".

Automakers turnaround plans ask for more federal help - Feb. 17, 2009

We can't afford to let them fail and we can't afford to keep funneling money into companies that probably aren't viable in the long run either. I think the US auto industry is about the only one that hasn't consolidated in the past quarter century. So what's the solution...make GM and Chrysler merge before giving them the money? Let them go bankrupt? Some argue people won't buy cars from them if they go belly up and have to re-organize, but nobody's really buying cars anyways so is that really different than the situation they are in now.

I don't really have an answer, but it better not include three companies when the dust settles. The worst, likely Chrysler, needs to go away or merge. They have the worse global presence and chance of appreciable rebound.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,016
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 423

Re: Fate of US auto industry

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    What the heck do we do about the not-so-big three? It makes me cringe seeing headlines in which GM and Chrysler might need a 21.6B "loan".

Automakers turnaround plans ask for more federal help - Feb. 17, 2009

We can't afford to let them fail and we can't afford to keep funneling money into companies that probably aren't viable in the long run either. I think the US auto industry is about the only one that hasn't consolidated in the past quarter century. So what's the solution...make GM and Chrysler merge before giving them the money? Let them go bankrupt? Some argue people won't buy cars from them if they go belly up and have to re-organize, but nobody's really buying cars anyways so is that really different than the situation they are in now.

I don't really have an answer, but it better not include three companies when the dust settles. The worst, likely Chrysler, needs to go away or merge. They have the worse global presence and chance of appreciable rebound.
    As far as I'm concerned, the number 1 issue needed for the big 3 to survive is to get rid of the UAW. They have sucked them dry for years. The union should not be making your business decisions.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

As far as I'm concerned, the number 1 issue needed for the big 3 to survive is to get rid of the UAW. They have sucked them dry for years. The union should not be making your business decisions.
    You are correct. They still don't want to budge. They are still trying to hammer the car companies for more crap. It's truely unbeleivable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd agree. I'm no lawyer, but wouldn't bankruptcy force their hand to re-renegotiate the UAW deals? I'm beginning to think that's the best solution. The airline business was nearly as bad off as the US auto makers and United exited from bankruptcy.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 10

The UAW made some concessions for the first bail out and I thought I heard they just made more. The average wage for uaw workers is very comparable to U.S autoworkers at the foreign automaker plants in the south, and the foreign automakers are also losing a lot of money (despite not having nearly as many pensions and health benefits to pay for retired workers and getting huge tax concessions from states like Alabama and Tennessee). This economy stinks for the entire auto industry, not just the big 3.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    $154 an hour average wage plus benifits for the big 3s workers.
    So the average UAW worker makes $300K?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 96

Insurance, 401K, pension, pay, all that adds right up. That number may include all the benifits they get after they retire also.

Last edited by kingcy; 02-18-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

The UAW has made concessions, including a two tier wage structure. New hires are making similar amounts as the non union comparables. The obligation to fund retiree health care and pension obligations is what's left, as well as work rules and contractual commitments to keep open certain plants that are huge inhibitors to productivity. Bankruptcy would allow almost unilateral rewriting of those Collective Bargaining Agreements. The UAW cannot afford to voluntarily agree to CBA's that essentially mirror what the non union employees get, otherwise what value can they say they are bringing to the deal. The only way to get there is through unilateral termination of the agreements.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

$154 an hour average wage plus benifits for the big 3s workers.
    Insurance, 401K, pension, pay, all that adds right up. That number may include all the benifits they get after they retire also.
    Including benefits seems somewhat more believable.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by tec71 View Post
    The UAW has made concessions, including a two tier wage structure. New hires are making similar amounts as the non union comparables. The obligation to fund retiree health care and pension obligations is what's left, as well as work rules and contractual commitments to keep open certain plants that are huge inhibitors to productivity. Bankruptcy would allow almost unilateral rewriting of those Collective Bargaining Agreements. The UAW cannot afford to voluntarily agree to CBA's that essentially mirror what the non union employees get, otherwise what value can they say they are bringing to the deal. The only way to get there is through unilateral termination of the agreements.
    That's precisely the point - what value DOES the UAW bring to the table other than driving up the cost of labor anymore? Or most unions for that matter? I get there was a need for them in the 1800s and early 1900s as workers worked in inhumane conditions with very little compensation, but Federal regulations have made the sticking points of the point of those union arguments Federal law. That pretty much leaves the unions with driving up the cost of labor as the only thing left that they can do. The current union model is absolutely obsolete, and if it wasn't for the fact that union bosses owned the Democrats and Republicans have to tread lightly around them if they want to keep their jobs, the union model would have been changed a long time ago.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    That's precisely the point - what value DOES the UAW bring to the table other than driving up the cost of labor anymore? Or most unions for that matter? I get there was a need for them in the 1800s and early 1900s as workers worked in inhumane conditions with very little compensation, but Federal regulations have made the sticking points of the point of those union arguments Federal law. That pretty much leaves the unions with driving up the cost of labor as the only thing left that they can do. The current union model is absolutely obsolete, and if it wasn't for the fact that union bosses owned the Democrats and Republicans have to tread lightly around them if they want to keep their jobs, the union model would have been changed a long time ago.
    That is very true.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 10

Huh? $154 an hour? Where did you get this? The figures I'm sure I've heard quoted from the big 3 auto makers that the average workers wages are in the $55k range and around $75k when you include benefits (which for some reason also includes the benefits of former workers' pensions and health benefits getting averaged in). I'm sure I also heard the big 3 ceo's say that their starting wages are in the $30k range and is very comparable to the starting wage for autoworkers at the foreign plants in the south. Many foreign automakers are also subsidized by their own governments as well as state subsidies and tax breaks they receive for building in the U.S. As usual some people paint the unions as the bad guys because they have been able to negotiate good wages and benefits to help create a strong middle class, but these workers who sweat in the factories are nowhere getting rich. Zero in on the wall street crowd if you're looking for people knocking down millions while they run their companies into the ground.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I can see why at one point they were necessary and did a lot of good. I don't see that purpose existing today, however, so just what are they good for other than lining the pockets of their members? The only thing I can see is that they dump a lot of money into the political system to protect their own interests.

I know there are some pro union people on the boards here. Anybody care to share the other viewpoint?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    Huh? $154 an hour? Where did you get this? The figures I'm sure I've heard quoted from the big 3 auto makers that the average workers wages are in the $55k range and around $75k when you include benefits (which for some reason also includes the benefits of former workers' pensions and health benefits getting averaged in). I'm sure I also heard the big 3 ceo's say that their starting wages are in the $30k range and is very comparable to the starting wage for autoworkers at the foreign plants in the south. Many foreign automakers are also subsidized by their own governments as well as state subsidies and tax breaks they receive for building in the U.S. As usual some people paint the unions as the bad guys because they have been able to negotiate good wages and benefits to help create a strong middle class, but these workers who sweat in the factories are nowhere getting rich. Zero in on the wall street crowd if you're looking for people knocking down millions while they run their companies into the ground.
    Maybe my mind put the 1 infront of it . My mistake.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones_R_GR8 View Post
    Sounds like we need to put the union retirees on universal health care.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.