Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Re: Athletic department confirms DC hire

Played for Bear Bryant and coached with Bobby Bowden??? Dip my balls in sweet cream and squat me in a kitchen full of kittens. That's impressive.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    Dip my balls in sweet cream and squat me in a kitchen full of kittens.
    You just made my day.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    Played for Bear Bryant and coached with Bobby Bowden??? Dip my balls in sweet cream and squat me in a kitchen full of kittens. That's impressive.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Courtesy: cyclones.com
    Release: 02/17/2009

Wally Burnham, the assistant head coach at South Florida whose Bull defense ranked 10th nationally last season, has joined the Iowa State football coaching staff as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.
    Burnham brings 40 years of experience to Ames, including a decade as a linebacker coach under Bobby Bowden at Florida State. The native of Pell City, Ala. coached nine years at South Florida, the last eight campaigns as defensive coordinator. Burnham’s South Florida defenses have ranked among the top 30 nationally in six of the last seven years. The Bulls ranked 10th nationally in total defense (287.6 yards per game) and run defense (95.2 yards per game) last season. The No. 10 national total defense ranking was the highest in school history.
    “We are truly getting one of the nation’s premier defensive minds in Wally Burnham,” Rhoads said. “He has four decades of experience as a coordinator, including successful stops at Florida State and South Carolina. He has sent a long list of former players to the National Football League. Wally knows the Florida high schools like no other man. This guy played for and coached with Bobby Bowden and played for Bear Bryant. His achievements speak for themselves.”
    The stellar efforts of the 2008 South Florida defense followed in the footsteps of the 2007 Bull defenders. Led by All-Americans Mike Jenkins, George Selvie and All-Big East performers Ben Moffitt and Trae Williams, the defense led the country in fumbles recovered (19), tied for the lead in turnovers forced and was third in tackles for loss (113). Overall, the Bulls were 28th nationally in total defense and were especially stout in the running game, only allowing eight rushing TDs all season.
    “The number one reason I am coming to Iowa State is Paul Rhoads,” Burnham said. “Paul is great teacher and motivator. I am looking forward to building up the Iowa State football program. It is a great opportunity for me.”
    Burnham was South Florida’s sole defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008 and co-defensive coordinator the previous five seasons.
    Since 2000, the USF defense has improved from 32nd among all I-AA programs nationally to 38th among I-A schools in 2001 and all the way to 17th in Division I-A in 2002, 2003 and once again in 2005. Also in 2002, the Bulls ranked No. 1 in the nation in turnover margin thanks in large part to a ball-hawking defense that was also ranked seventh nationally against the run.
    Burnham played a large role in the development of USF linebacker Kawika Mitchell, who became the school’s all-time leader in tackles and the highest-ever drafted Bull when the Kansas City Chiefs took him in the second round in 2003. Maurice Jones, another Burnham pupil, signed a free agent contract with the Green Bay Packers. USF linebacker Stephen Nicholas was named to the All-Big East first-team all-conference squad in 2006. He was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons.
    Developing NFL linebackers is nothing new for Burnham, who coached nine linebackers at Florida State who were drafted into the NFL and a 10th player who signed as a free agent. Among his standout linebackers at FSU were Derrick Brooks, Marvin Jones, Paul McGowan, Jesse Solomon and Garth Jax. Jones and McGowan each won the Butkus Award, and Jones added the Lombardi Award.
    Prior to joining USF, Burnham was the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at South Carolina between 1994-98. Upon arriving at South Carolina, literally just days after Florida State's 1993 National Championship win, Burnham instituted a new 4-3 scheme for the Gamecocks, and he quickly molded what became to be considered the most improved defense in the SEC. The defense ranked as high as 22nd in the nation under Burnham, and it was a crucial factor in South Carolina's win over West Virginia in the 1996 Carquest Bowl.
    Prior to coaching at South Carolina, Burnham was a nine-year assistant (1985-93) to Bobby Bowden at Florida State, where he was on the 1993 National Championship staff.
    At Florida State, Burnham coaches linebackers in a program that won nine straight bowl games during his tenure. FSU also finished among the nation’s top four teams in eight of his nine seasons, including the 1993 National Championship.
    A 1963 graduate of Samford (secondary education), Burnham began playing collegiately for Bear Bryant at Alabama during the 1960 and 1961 seasons. He transferred to Samford, where he was a Little All-America linebacker in his senior season. Burnham played for Bowden one year at Samford. Burnham also has a master's degree in athletic administration from West Alabama.
    He began coaching at the high school level in 1967, before first joining the college ranks at North Alabama in 1971, where he remained the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator through 1976, before moving to East Tennessee State as defensive coordinator for two seasons (1977-78).
    In 1979, Burnham was defensive coordinator at Richmond, and he then moved on to Memphis State as linebackers coach in 1980. In 1981-82, Burnham was defensive coordinator at Lamar, and he then made the jump to the USFL, where he was the linebackers coach for the Arizona Wranglers, who reached the 1984 USFL Championship Game. Burnham joined Bowden at Florida State after two seasons (1983-84) with the Wranglers.
    Burnham and his wife, Barbara, have three children, Patrick, Allison and Shane. Shane was a four-year letter winner, and three-year starting linebacker at South Carolina from 1994-97.

NCAA Ranking of South Florida Defenses Under Wally Burnham
    2002: 17th
    2003: 17th
    2004: 77th
    2005: 17th
    2006: 25th
    2007: 28th
    2008: 10th

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

You mean we didn't hire David Blackwell???????

Where's glock now?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wally Burnham new DC- Press Release

Official article from Cyclones.com

AMES, Iowa - Wally Burnham, the assistant head coach at South Florida whose Bull defense ranked 10th nationally last season, has joined the Iowa State football coaching staff as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. ISU head coach Paul Rhoads made the announcement Tuesday.

Burnham brings 40 years of experience to Ames, including a decade as a linebacker coach under Bobby Bowden at Florida State. The native of Pell City, Ala. coached nine years at South Florida, the last eight campaigns as defensive coordinator. Burnham’s South Florida defenses have ranked among the top 30 nationally in six of the last seven years. The Bulls ranked 10th nationally in total defense (287.6 yards per game) and run defense (95.2 yards per game) last season. The No. 10 national total defense ranking was the highest in school history.

Last edited by jaretac; 02-17-2009 at 05:16 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

Re: Wally Burnham new DC

Woo Hoo!

No more who's the DC threads!

A DC with a national ranking in the top 25 defenses nationally at South Florida!

Best OC/DC combo at ISU ever!

Prospect
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Wally Burnham new DC- Press Release

I don't want to turn this into a Chizik bashing thread, but I think it's auspicious here that Rhoads went after the best, meaning most experienced and proven, guys that he could get for the OC and DC jobs. Chizik, in contrast, used his fairly large coordinator budget and hired his "buddies" who were very arguably underqualified.

No judgement yet as we haven't even played a game but I really like these two coordinator hires.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 724
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 39

Re: Wally Burnham new DC

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    Woo Hoo!

No more who's the DC threads!

A DC with a national ranking in the top 25 defenses nationally at South Florida!

Best OC/DC combo at ISU ever!
    Yes, but do we really know him? Who IS the DC, Wally Burnham? What kind of coffee does he drink? What is his favorite tune? How much pocket change does he carry? My point is...the threads could go on forever.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Looks like another solid hire by PR, maybe Burnham stays a few years and grooms one of the younger guys like Ash to be the future dc. I'm thinking PR could be with us a long time (I hope).

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

So we have an Iowa native head coach with ties to the Pittsburgh area and to Alabama

A secondary coach with ties to Iowa and the West coast (Ash)

A DC with ties to Florida and Alabama (Burnham)

Wide receivers coach that played at Oklahoma

OC that knows Central Texas along with the RB coach.

I'd say the coaches have ties to the major hot beds of talent across the country and in Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 30

Great hire, in my opinion. His defenses attack and run to the football, hopefully we can get some players in here to fit his style.

Go Cyclones!!

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 2

There is only one logical explanation for this hire...bring in a veteran until Dan McCarney's contract at UF is up...then bring in McCarney. It makes perfect sense!

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

My grandpa was named Wally too. How old is Gramps?