Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

losing is contagious

(understand this post is made out of frustration)
    I know winning the NCAA's is the ultimate goal, but lets keep winning along the way. I keep hearing 'its ok they will get it turned around', but still I see us not dominating the opponents with the talent available.

Certainly spotting 6 points for the last 4 meets is getting a little old, but the middle is just not stepping up. It seems if both Gallick and Reader lose, it's almost a sure loss for the team (ala Midlands and Iowa).

I know there is no 133 available, and apparently a 141 cannot drop down. Is there a 125 that can wrestle up to at least compete? What if Clark goes down to injury, who steps in for him?

With all that, I am 100% behind this team and am eagerly awaiting their resurgance down the stretch!!! These recent losses could be good in a way to get them refocused. Any comments are appreciated.

Recruit
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: losing is contagious

There are 2 True freshman at 125 that could step in to take clarks spot but they would have to burn their redshirt. There is also one true freshman at 133. I do not think that they want to burn any of their redshirts just to fill in for a few weeks. We just need to be patient while fanny gets better and also so we dont use up any of our freshmans eligibility.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneOmaha View Post
    (understand this post is made out of frustration)
    I know winning the NCAA's is the ultimate goal, but lets keep winning along the way. I keep hearing 'its ok they will get it turned around', but still I see us not dominating the opponents with the talent available.

Certainly spotting 6 points for the last 4 meets is getting a little old, but the middle is just not stepping up. It seems if both Gallick and Reader lose, it's almost a sure loss for the team (ala Midlands and Iowa).

I know there is no 133 available, and apparently a 141 cannot drop down. Is there a 125 that can wrestle up to at least compete? What if Clark goes down to injury, who steps in for him?

With all that, I am 100% behind this team and am eagerly awaiting their resurgance down the stretch!!! These recent losses could be good in a way to get them refocused. Any comments are appreciated.
    To be honest, I'm more concerned about the passiveness our lightweights have than losing a dual meet. They just don't push the tempo of the match like they should.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 96

Would we have won had we had a 133?

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Would we have won had we had a 133?
    The dual meet? Likely would have been a tie or a loss. The match would probably have been a loss.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 96

Sounds like physically, if we wrestle our best, we have a shot at winning a NC, but mentally we are weak at times.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

It appears the team is in another lull. Cael has shown that he has the ability to get the team to peak for the Big 12 tourney and Nationals. He's only got a short while to turn things around and fix some of the deficiencies though.

Clark isn't wrestling close to what he was at the start of the year. Fanthorpe needs to be 100% healthy and he may also have some rust. Gallick is an enigma. Mueller seems to be wrestling his best now and hopefully that continues. Sanderson isn't wrestling as well as he was earlier. Reader has been very inconsistent and not near the offensive beast he was last year. Burk is a wildcard. Possible all-american but who really knows. Ward is a physical specimen but has not shown much of an offense. Varner and Zabriskie have been the brightest of bright spots this year. Varner needs to push for bonus points all the time and Zabriskie just needs to keep winning those close matches.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by leg4cy View Post
    It appears the team is in another lull. Cael has shown that he has the ability to get the team to peak for the Big 12 tourney and Nationals. He's only got a short while to turn things around and fix some of the deficiencies though.

Clark isn't wrestling close to what he was at the start of the year. Fanthorpe needs to be 100% healthy and he may also have some rust. Gallick is an enigma. Mueller seems to be wrestling his best now and hopefully that continues. Sanderson isn't wrestling as well as he was earlier. Reader has been very inconsistent and not near the offensive beast he was last year. Burk is a wildcard. Possible all-american but who really knows. Ward is a physical specimen but has not shown much of an offense. Varner and Zabriskie have been the brightest of bright spots this year. Varner needs to push for bonus points all the time and Zabriskie just needs to keep winning those close matches.
    I don't get it. Up and down the lineup, we have tons of talent (at least coming out of high school) that matches Iowa. We should be fighting neck and neck with them for the top spot. Something's wrong.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 107

This eerily sounds similar to our bball talk the last two years.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I don't get it. Up and down the lineup, we have tons of talent (at least coming out of high school) that matches Iowa. We should be fighting neck and neck with them for the top spot. Something's wrong.
    There just appears to be a lack of intensity or sense of urgency on the part of many of the wrestlers. In fact, one of Cael's quotes after the meet was "it's just a dual." Therein lies the problem. Iowa wants to win every match regardless of who it is, where it is, or when it is, and they normally wrestle like their hair is on fire. I think that the Iowa kids are coached to take more risks to score whereas our guys are coached to keep solid position.

This is totally my own opinion, but I think Cael's coaching philosophy is entirely different from the way he wrestled. Part of that may be due to his experience in international competition and freestyle where getting out of position once gets you beat. Folkstyle is different and risks can get rewarded big time.

Prospect
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cjbogler View Post
    There are 2 True freshman at 125 that could step in to take clarks spot but they would have to burn their redshirt. There is also one true freshman at 133. I do not think that they want to burn any of their redshirts just to fill in for a few weeks. We just need to be patient while fanny gets better and also so we dont use up any of our freshmans eligibility.

Prospect
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Clark is a sophmore. we have 2 red shirts at 125 with 4 years left. They all cant wrestle 125. the next 2 years . So why is it so imprtant to keep them red shirted that we loss meets. This why we have back ups to win. If they cant cut it then we have the wrong recruits. Craig

Recruit
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Maybe they are not physically ready. They might just go out on the mat to get pinned and we still give up 6. No sense in wasting their eligibility for that. All of our lower weights except Clark are Juniors and will be seniors next year. By keeping them with their redshirt they will be 3rd year sophmores when they all graduate instead of 3rd year juniors. I believe he is looking at this future of the program by not wrestling the young guys and realizes that march is when it counts.

And just because we have 3 guys at 125 does not mean they can not push the guy in front of them and possibly break the line up. We need depth, look how Joey Slaten started out ranked #1 at 133 this year. He's not even in the line up and Daniel Dennis is ranked #1 at 133 and they are on the same team. Everyone will thank cael for not wasting these guys redshirts when they have 3 years to kick butt instead of two.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

There just appears to be a lack of intensity or sense of urgency on the part of many of the wrestlers. In fact, one of Cael's quotes after the meet was "it's just a dual." Therein lies the problem. Iowa wants to win every match regardless of who it is, where it is, or when it is, and they normally wrestle like their hair is on fire. I think that the Iowa kids are coached to take more risks to score whereas our guys are coached to keep solid position.

This is totally my own opinion, but I think Cael's coaching philosophy is entirely different from the way he wrestled. Part of that may be due to his experience in international competition and freestyle where getting out of position once gets you beat. Folkstyle is different and risks can get rewarded big time.
    You nailed it. The one thing I respect about Iowa is they relish the opportunity to beat you. They love beating teams. Doesn't matter if it's a highly rated opponent, a dual meet, a tournament... they just flat out want to beat you. Even close matches anger them... like ruthless warriors. More the beating then winning.

I think we have the talent, the coaching... but lack the mental hunger to "want to beat up" our opponents. We need an anger streak. I think that is where Brands excels. Not sure the answer... I guess it starts with Cael since he's the coach. He needs to demand intensity and many even act animalish like Brands to get his wrestlers to "fight" like each match is all that matters. I suppose this is out of his comfort zone as Cael was more about control, not out of control as was Brands. Whatever the method, a fire needs to be lit in many of the ISU wrestlers.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    You nailed it. The one thing I respect about Iowa is they relish the opportunity to beat you. They love beating teams. Doesn't matter if it's a highly rated opponent, a dual meet, a tournament... they just flat out want to beat you. Even close matches anger them... like ruthless warriors. More the beating then winning.

I think we have the talent, the coaching... but lack the mental hunger to "want to beat up" our opponents. We need an anger streak. I think that is where Brands excels. Not sure the answer... I guess it starts with Cael since he's the coach. He needs to demand intensity and many even act animalish like Brands to get his wrestlers to "fight" like each match is all that matters. I suppose this is out of his comfort zone as Cael was more about control, not out of control as was Brands. Whatever the method, a fire needs to be lit in many of the ISU wrestlers.
    I agree completely. We settle with the 7 point decision or the 13 point major way too much.