Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 0

Any runners out there? I need advice!

I love to run. But since November, I cannot get over a sharp pain that comes up about a mile into my runs on the outside of my left knee.

My knee doesn't hurt when I walk, and it doesn't hurt until about a mile into my runs. There's no swelling or anything.

After researching it on the internet, all I can come up with is Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Common among runners I guess?

Has anyone had this, or known anyone that has? Any advice on how to get over it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I want to run pain free again so bad!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

Re: Any runners out there? I need advice!

Never had that one. I always have problems with my shins. But the right shoes and strengthening the muscles in my legs helped that.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

I used to be an avid runner and once suffered from ITBS. I went to the doc and he told me the only way to get rid of it is to rest.

At the time I was doing a lot of hill training and was running on back roads that had steep crowns - which of course affected my gait. He told me that if I wanted to continue that type of training that I needed to spend equal time on both sides of the road, but the best thing I could do was run on even surfaces.

Mine came on very quickly and was so painful I could barely walk. Took me about three months to get over it.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Walk On
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Oh boy! I have had IT band issues for years. Been running for about 10 years and absolutely love it. Throughout the last decade I have encountered many injuries. This one is tough. I have it in both knees clonedude. The bad news is that it will probaly always be there from now on. The good news is if you stretch properly then it will almost never bother you again! First go buy a knee strap for your knee. It will help. Costs about 10 bucks. The greatest tool to fight it is a styrofoam cylinder that I bought at a rehab store. This can be expensive. (around $70 if you call that expensive) You must lay on this and roll slowly back and forth from your knee to your hip. It is VERY painfull at first. The IT band roughly is a ligament that goes from your hip to your lower knee. Right now it is very tight. This rolling will stretch it out. After time rolling on the leg stops hurting. Finally let your leg heal a bit before getting back out there. It needs time to heal. I know that is harder than it seems. Also if the pain arrives again than ice it as soon as back. It will help. Well I hope this helps for you. It has for me. Properly stretching has allowed me to continue running. Good luck!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I've not heard of that, but I have similar pains. I had an bicycle accident when I was in my early teens and I'm pretty sure I fractured or shattered my knee cap. For some reason my folks refused to take me to the doctor and for years since, every now and then when I put stress on my knee, a piece will work its way into joint and cause pain a similar pain to what you describe.