Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How to get baseball straightened out

1. Ask every player to be truthful (ha) and state if they have or are taking steriods the list.

2. any player that admits to it has a pass, but at the time of steriods use there records would be removed.. BUT he will be subjected to urinalysis through out the year.

3. ALL players would be tested the at the beginning of the season. Any player that tests positive would not be able to play at all that year.

4. The next year if they have a positive reading they are banned from baseball and there records if any stricken from the books.

5. Beginning of the season all get tested. Spuratic tests through out the season

why do they make it so hard..... its simple and it cleans up the sport. Agents can't complain because they have a free pass

Last edited by Dave19642006; 02-15-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 196

Re: How to get baseball straightened out

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    1. Ask evey player to be truthful (ha) and state if they have or are taking steriods the list.

2. any player that admits to it has a pass, but at the time of steriods use there records would be removed.. BUT he will be subjected to urinalysis through out the year.

3. ALL players would be tested the at the beginning of the season. Any player that tests positive would not be able to play at all that year.

4. The next year if the have a positive reading they are banned from baseball and there records if any stricken from the books.

5. Beginning of the season all gets tested. Speratic tests through out the season

why do they make it so hard..... its simple and it clesans up the sport. Agents can't complain because they have a free pass
    I like your format. Problem to getting something comprehensive like this in place is the player's union. They object to everything, and nearly force players to take the largest contracts available... which are almost always, the Spanks, Red Sux, Chubs, etc....

man I have unions...

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Players are already getting tested three times a year, including the off season. I say just forget about the past, we all know what went down, who cares... They have a good system in place now so lets just move forward...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Thats why you have the first and second part. The truth comes out, then you implement the rest and stick to it no matter what or WHO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Players are already getting tested three times a year, including the off season. I say just forget about the past, we all know what went down, who cares... They have a good system in place now so lets just move forward...
    Yep, there is nothing we can do about the past. Move forward in a better way.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Thumbs Up

1. Ask every player to be truthful (ha) and state if they have or are taking steriods the list.

4. The next year if the have a positive reading they are banned from baseball and there records if any stricken from the books.

5. Beginning of the season all gets tested. Speratic tests through out the season

why do they make it so hard..... its simple and it clesans up the sport. Agents can't complain because they have a free pass
    I hope you aren't older than 13 years. No player is going to admit they used steroids until something come out about them. Everyone will deny #1 so that's pointless. What are you going to do about guys from the 1980s and 1990s? It really amazes me how many of you think this was just a couple year thing. Steroids aren't anything new and it's been going on in the game for a lot longer than you'd probably expect.

Also, I think there is some level of steroid use in all sports that aren't detected. There will always be chemists coming up with undetectable substances and staying 1 step ahead of the testing....

Fact of the matter is the crappy players that get caught (and there are PLENTY of those) are still crappy. The good players that get caught are still good.

Since baseball is a team sport, how are you going to strike them from the record anyways. You give a pitcher less Ws or Ks, or WS wins and it all won't make any sense.....

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

As has been mentioned previously, there is no way any of this will ever happen, as Fehr and Orza will never allow it.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If the owners and players really cared, they would have mandatory drug tests for all the sons-of-*******, and anyone who was found to be using steroids or illegal drugs would be banned for life. And a real ban, not like the six or seven times baseball banned Steve Howe for life. After they lost one or two players, it wouldn't happen again. And baseball wouldn't have become the joke that has been created by players from from Steve Howe to Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Rafeal Palmiero, Barry Bonds, A-Rod, and everyone else.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,866
    Given: 1,599

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    If the owners and players really cared, they would have mandatory drug tests for all the sons-of-*******, and anyone who was found to be using steroids or illegal drugs would be banned for life. And a real ban, not like the six or seven times baseball banned Steve Howe for life. After they lost one or two players, it wouldn't happen again. And baseball wouldn't have become the joke that has been created by players from from Steve Howe to Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Rafeal Palmiero, Barry Bonds, A-Rod, and everyone else.
    I'd be OK with this. Make it mean something, and not as a punchline. I like it if, as you said, it doesn't become a Steve Howe thing.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

It is what it is. There has been cheating in baseball since it started maybe not on this scale but there have been cheaters all the way thru.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I hope you aren't older than 13 years. No player is going to admit they used steroids until something come out about them. Everyone will deny #1 so that's pointless. What are you going to do about guys from the 1980s and 1990s? It really amazes me how many of you think this was just a couple year thing. Steroids aren't anything new and it's been going on in the game for a lot longer than you'd probably expect.

Also, I think there is some level of steroid use in all sports that aren't detected. There will always be chemists coming up with undetectable substances and staying 1 step ahead of the testing....

Fact of the matter is the crappy players that get caught (and there are PLENTY of those) are still crappy. The good players that get caught are still good.

Since baseball is a team sport, how are you going to strike them from the record anyways. You give a pitcher less Ws or Ks, or WS wins and it all won't make any sense.....
    Look at the base of the situation. I could make a detailed report of it all but I won't I would take pages and pages to give you the outcome of how it WOULD work. The scenerio that I proclaimed true would never fly with the Union. If it did we would have some "great users" to never play the game again. I agree Vaseball is a team sport, But it a numbers game. You would have to agree with me on that.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 8

I agree with several other posters. Put in place some of the most strict testing policies of all professional sports, test regularly, and NAIL anyone who is doing it now.

Forget about the past. This witch hunt can and will last for decades. MLB should grant immunity for anyone in the past and move on.

Just fix it so it doesn't happen again.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Ok I clarified it some,

1. Ask every player to be truthful (ha) and state if they have or are taking steroids the list.

True I agree that some players would not be truthful on the usage of steroids in their past. What this comes down to is in the past three some months or however long the testing can show detection. All Players, in the baseball network would be tested that year, so it is 2009 all players would be tested in 2009 NO QUESTIONS ASKED, ALL PLAYERS EVEN THE ONES ON THE DL. All players would be tested before the start of the season, and sporadically throughout the season. Naturally it will be unknown to all but the people giving the test. Those people will be kept in secrecy for that year and then new personal will be chosen the following years.

If a player states that he has not taken any form of steroids on the ban list that is up to date for that year, and it comes back that he has taken a steroid on the ban list for that year, he is suspended for that year minus pay (depends if it is during spring {then only for that year} or regular season {then for that year and the next}). Sure there are steroids that won’t show up, but if they do not show up what can you do at that point. If by chance the following year that particular steroid does shows up. He is suspended for that particular year with no consequences for the past years since it was not undetectable. Why will you ask? Because if they did not have the capabilities on how to detect it how can you test for it.

2. any player that admits to it has a pass, but at the time of steroids use their records would be removed. The player would be subjected to urinalysis throughout the year.

If A-Rod (using him for an example) admitted like he has to use steroids in 2001-2003 he would NOT have his accomplishments stricken from the books for that year. If he happens to test positive from this point forward at the time of his positive reading his accomplishments during that time would be taken off the books and he would be suspended for the rest of that year and next without pay if it happens during the season (if during spring training just for that year). Pitchers would be a little harder. Example: Using Clemmons; A pitchers wins, ERA’s, Losses ect. For that time would be taken off, if that pitcher was the winner of a game that win of that team would be taken off the books and switched to a forfeit.

So Clemmons played 4 times and then he tested positive. If he won all 4 games he would forfeit those 4 games and the teams that played them would have the wins. If he won 3 of those games but the team won the 4th game that team would still forfeit the 4th game since Clemmons started the game, but was not eligible for the win. ALL PLAYERS KEEP THERE STATS BUT CLEMMONS WOULD NOT.

Hence the other team would have an automatic win. The Steroid team would have a loss. This would tick off the players of the team with the steroid using pitcher if it had playoff contention. Now the players are involved and would stress not to use steroids since it caused them to lose a playoff game in October. Like it was stated it is a team sport. This would be beneficial just in case of playoffs. Both teams’ players would keep their accomplishments though. I hope yoyu all are following me on this so far.

3. ALL players would be tested that the beginning of the season. Any player that tests positive would not be able to play at all that year.

This works out great. All players would be tested before the season starts off, and sporadically throughout the season, can be 3+ tests a season. Therefore if a player(s) happens to test positive during the season, he his banned for that season and the next. So say a player tests positive in July 2009, that player would be suspended from July 2009 all the way till 2011.

Doctors now would be more cautious on doing whatever they are doing. If he Doctor has a legit reason to put this player on a form of steroids he would have bring it up to a baseball committee, and then he would not be able to play for that year, but will get paid for that year, since it was under doctors orders he would not lose pay. Also this would not be added to his record of illegal steroid use. It would be noted though that the player had to take this under doctor’s orders. If this comes up again when he is not under doctor’s care then all rules apply as mentioned above.

If the player tests positive BEFORE the opening game, he would be suspended for that year, say for example he tested positive for spring training 2009 he would be eligible to play in 2010. Reason it is spring training and not the regular season. Yes he would not get paid for those years missed.

4. The next year if a player has a positive reading they are banned from baseball on the spot.

Ok I revised 4 just a little bit.

If a player tests positive in spring and or regular season (See also rule 2) He is suspended immediately for the season. The league would have to produce the test results to Bud Selig and the player would have to clean his locker out no questions asked. There would be no appeal since he tested positive for a banned substance. Remember this would be their second offense. Consideration can be made if that steroid was undetectable the previous year. He would still fall under rule 3.

5. Beginning of the season all players get tested. Sporadic tests throughout the season.

If a player tests positive then see rule 2 and/ or 3 depending on the circumstances.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Simple solution is to void their contracts..... never happen, but if you get caught using illegal substances, your contract would be terminated and any or all bonus money paid with signed contract, returned.....

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Why just baseball, why not every professional sport.

When I look at NFL players, it sure physically looks like some of them may have used steriods (way more than baseball players). Yet only a tiny fraction of NFL players test positive each year - doesn't make sense to me.

If a MLB player takes steriods it will allow him to hit a ball farther than a guy who doesn't. An NFL player who takes steriods could end another guy's career with a tackle. Seems to me like the clean, non-steriod player is at a much bigger disadvantage in the NFL.