Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quad City living

So, I graduated in December, got a job in Davenport, and am now looking to buy a house in the Quad City area. For those in the know, what are the advantages and disadvantages for each of the areas? Which side of the river should I be on? Anything I should stay away from?

"I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Re: Quad City living

Head North and set up camp in Clinton baby....Go see Petey's dad at Happy Joes.

Prospect
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

For one, I would definitely stay on Iowa's side. Two, Bettendorf is a lot nicer than Davenport. If you go with Davenport, you want to be North of Locust Ave., this is probably the single most important thing you could do. South of Locust is trouble, although it can be done, it's not recommended. The best dive bar ever is Bleyart's Tap in 'the Village of East Davenport' shopping area. Right next to it is the Bier Stube, highly recommended. Finally, good luck with all the typical Iowa fans.

P.S. - At some point in your life, and I recommend sooner rather than later, you must go to Ross' and order a Magic Mountain. You can thank me later!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

Come on ride the train...

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 536
    Given: 131

Ask Andy Fales...

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There are some pro's and cons on which side to live. Illinois has lower income tax but higher property tax. If you work on the opposite side of the river from where you work you have to contend with the I-74 bridge. Most of the time it moves pretty well, but DOT spends time on that bridge knocking it down to one lane during the day and slows traffic to a crawl. I would suggest the Iowa side, either Bettendorf or Eldridge. You can find nice housing in Davenport, just a little tougher. The Iowa side has better shopping and restuarants. It can be tough being a Cyclone fan in the QC. I have heard there are game watches at Uptown Bar and Grill in Bettendorf, but I have not attended any there. Best of luck to you.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

As was said, generally if you're going to live in Davenport you want to be north of Locust Street, but south of Locust tends to start getting better around Eastern Avenue, and is considered "rich person Daveport" east of Jersey Ridge Road. South of Locust is also just fine west of Division Street, and there is a pocket hugging Locust Street forming a box from Locust Street to 14th Street and Division Street to Harrison Street that is okay to live in (although one does need to take care in this area as well). Also stay away from Duck Creek several blocks in either direction the entire stretch in Davenport - it's a gigantic flood zone. Yes, the city in the past has tried making Duck Creek Parkway to try to keep people out of the flood zone, but it's nowhere large enough to be effective. Most of Davenport's residents that were effected by the flood of 2008 were along Duck Creek. I would also stay out of Americana Park in Northern Davenport - an area north of 53rd Street, east of Gaines Street, and west of Brady Street (in this area Brady is a two-way street). Lots of criminal activity in this area.

If you're looking for long-term solutions that include family life and schooling, I would recommend getting out of Davenport proper, as the schools have really nose-dived over the last 10 years. All of the schools have always had to deal with "gang-banger" activity for as long as I can remember, but it really affected North and West High Schools when they started bussing the kids out of the Central district. If you're going to live in Iowa, I would personally choose Bettendorf (although there are some rough pockets in the south) or Pleasant Valley (if you can afford it). If you want to be a little further out and live "small town life," go for Eldridge (where I live), Long Grove, Park View, LeClaire, or Princeton (this one is quite the drive).

I don't know much about the Illinois side, but if you choose Rock Island, get as far south and east as possible - anything west of 15th Street and north of my guess is 18th Avenue is considered the "projects". Get towards either Moline or Milan and it's okay there. Moline ane East Moline are pretty good from what I've heard (altough East Moline does have its rough areas), and the other communities as far as I can tell are pretty good.

Hope this helps

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isubucky72 View Post
    There are some pro's and cons on which side to live. Illinois has lower income tax but higher property tax. If you work on the opposite side of the river from where you work you have to contend with the I-74 bridge. Most of the time it moves pretty well, but DOT spends time on that bridge knocking it down to one lane during the day and slows traffic to a crawl. I would suggest the Iowa side, either Bettendorf or Eldridge. You can find nice housing in Davenport, just a little tougher. The Iowa side has better shopping and restuarants. It can be tough being a Cyclone fan in the QC. I have heard there are game watches at Uptown Bar and Grill in Bettendorf, but I have not attended any there. Best of luck to you.
    And they're not going to start building the replacement bridge until 2015...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cymaster View Post
    So, I graduated in December, got a job in Davenport, and am now looking to buy a house in the Quad City area. For those in the know, what are the advantages and disadvantages for each of the areas? Which side of the river should I be on? Anything I should stay away from?
    Don't listen to all the Bettendorf elitists. Davenport is great. Lived here 40 yrs.,my wife taught for 4o yrs in the Davenport district. Good schools!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by 52ynnel View Post
    Head North and set up camp in Clinton baby....Go see Petey's dad at Happy Joes.
    For the love of God, no. Do not live in Clinton. That place is a dump.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Agkistrodon View Post
    For the love of God, no. Do not live in Clinton. That place is a dump.
    Bite your tongue boss. That's god's country up there. Spent the first 18 full years of my life in that haven.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Bite your tongue boss. That's god's country up there. Spent the first 18 full years of my life in that haven.
    As did I, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there again. It's a beautiful area, and I'd love to live in a river town again... just not that one.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tellmac View Post
    Don't listen to all the Bettendorf elitists. Davenport is great. Lived here 40 yrs.,my wife taught for 4o yrs in the Davenport district. Good schools!!
    And I've lived here for 25 and grew up in the schools - they aren't what they once were.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As long as you're living above the smell...

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Agkistrodon View Post
    As did I, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there again. It's a beautiful area, and I'd love to live in a river town again... just not that one.
    I'm moving into the castle at Eagle Point.