Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...021/1001&lead=1

135 million in renovations and improvements. Pollard means business. Lets Go Cyclone fans. We need to support our teams now more than ever.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyfan322 &#064; Jun 16 2006, 04&#58;06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...021/1001&lead=1

135 million in renovations and improvements. Pollard means business. Lets Go Cyclone fans. We need to support our teams now more than ever.
    [/b][/quote]

Winning isn&#39;t cheap. If we want to be big time we have to be willing to pay for it. All of us little guys (of which I am one) need to step up and move up a level or two-but we also need to go out and find the T Boone Pickens of ISU.

Anyone have any nominations?

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(83Clone &#064; Jun 16 2006, 04&#58;41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Winning isn&#39;t cheap. If we want to be big time we have to be willing to pay for it. All of us little guys (of which I am one) need to step up and move up a level or two-but we also need to go out and find the T Boone Pickens of ISU.

Anyone have any nominations?

[/b][/quote]

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    you need to find a clone of jimmy hilton to be the president of iowa state. president parks was worthless as a president of iowa state in getting donations for the university. i question how effective geoffrey(sp.) will be in getting alumni to donate to iowa state. jimmy hilton was a master in securing alumni donations. he was responsible for getting the large gifts from c.y stephens to help build the present facilities.stephens was the owner of a large dairy and ice cream company in the baltimore-washington ,d.c. area.

doc

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    175,000 living alumni, and that doesn&#39;t include their family members, and of that 57-60,000 are Alumni association members, and 6,000 are National Cyclone Members. These figures don&#39;t even include those who are ISU fans but not grads. ISU needs to awaken the sleeping Giant that is the alumni base. If a large percentage buy in ISU will have no problem raising the proper funds and then some. It will take some creativity, but can and will be done.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    hell yes

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 94
    Those 55,000+ Alumni Assoc. members need to hop on over to the NCC. My wife joined the AA several years ago and it was worthless. I know it goes to the school, but they get plenty of state money.

Were now members of the NCC, alumni, and since were still under 29 we get drastically reduced season tix.

If we could get everyone to just give at the minimal level would be huge. They dont even need to buy tickets, but it would be nice.

#BEATIOWA

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    I feel like I need to correct a few misconceptions about some of the fundraising posts as that is what I do at ISU. The Alumni Association dues go to support rallies at athletic events, outreach to alumni and sponsor travel programs for away games. The Alumni Association gets no state support from the State. And any reference to state support is a moot point. We are currently being funded University wide at the same exact dollar amount as in 1998. Our increase this year was 1.6%. State dollars only make up less than 30% of our total operating budget.

In regard to President Geoffroy being a good fundraiser, he is a tremendous fundraiser and one very well received among alumni, students, faculty and donors. He has just recently committed over 20% more of his valuable time to fundraising in the next 18 months.

You can&#39;t compare Hilton and Parks to any President following because at the time they were fundraising there was ONE unrestricted fund to give to: The ISU Fund for Excellence and it was oversaw and administered by the President. Now there are over 6500 different funds that alumni can give to. More dollars come in today but go to a much more diverse list for support.

Regardless, the majority of the fundraising is going to be on a corporate level and a few high end gifts. JP will be making most of the calls and the work will be coming from the Athletic Development team. Geoffroy will come in bat clean up and has shown through the recent capital projects (Student Success Center, etc) that he CAN close the deal. HAve faith my friends and everybody do their own part and we will be there soon enough....

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 63
    Thanks 4Clonez, I knew I&#39;d heard before that Geoffroy was a good fundraiser. Did anyone see the two quotes about funding education, or whatever, that the rag included? What the hell was that?

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyclone06 &#064; Jun 17 2006, 09&#58;26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Thanks 4Clonez, I knew I&#39;d heard befor that Geoffroy was a good fundraiser. Did anyone see the two quotes about funding education, or whatever, that the rag included? What the hell was that? [/b][/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. When I was on campus, it was constantly under construction. Since I&#39;ve been there, they have a new building for the honors program, a new engineering teaching and research complex, a new buisness building, new dorms... it goes on. They must have found the only two people that didn&#39;t feel there was an investment in education at ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    What were the two quotes? They don&#39;t seem to be in the story anymore...

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ornryactor &#064; Jun 17 2006, 11&#58;04 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
    What were the two quotes? They don&#39;t seem to be in the story anymore...
    [/b][/quote]

Some Iowa State students and recent graduates said Friday that the university should focus more on academics.

"I think the culture here really promotes sports," said graduate student Faith Muturia, from Kenya. "I think they should try to balance it with other things" such as academics, she said.

Tina Kastendieck, 22, an Iowa State graduate, expressed similar concerns, saying even though the money was generated within the athletic department, she feels more effort should be focused on improving academic life on campus.

"They could put the money towards educating us, because we spend an unbelievable amount to go here," she said.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1
    My only problem with my education at Iowa State is some teachers act like giving a lecture is a chore and do not put any effort into it (ex: Astro 120 Prof. last semester). Notice I said SOME. You ask them a question and they dont have any time to help you. I believe Pres. Geoffroy needs to address this. However, most of my major teachers will be happy to help anytime.

I got a call in April asking for money for the senior gift. I told them I dont graduate until December and my money will go to the athletic department. The guy said it was only &#036;50 to help get new wood benches; told him my name better be on the bench if I give the money, LOL.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 301
    Don&#39;t get me wrong, I love what Pollard is doing with our school and athletic program. I feel more proud to be a part of it and a student. I will say though that it is very hard for me to advocate "ponying up" because of the fact that my tuition has raised every year I&#39;ve been at school here. I&#39;m going to be paying off student loans for years and I know I will be asked to donate money as soon as I graduate. It&#39;s hard to give money to an institution that pays its football coach more than 4 times its highest esteemed and respected professor on campus. Obviously I don&#39;t think we shouldn&#39;t support our athletics, I would just like to see the same tancity for improvements with academic support.

@RandomGeoFacts

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjones34 &#064; Jun 17 2006, 07&#58;41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Don&#39;t get me wrong, I love what Pollard is doing with our school and athletic program. I feel more proud to be a part of it and a student. I will say though that it is very hard for me to advocate "ponying up" because of the fact that my tuition has raised every year I&#39;ve been at school here. I&#39;m going to be paying off student loans for years and I know I will be asked to donate money as soon as I graduate. It&#39;s hard to give money to an institution that pays its football coach more than 4 times its highest esteemed and respected professor on campus. Obviously I don&#39;t think we shouldn&#39;t support our athletics, I would just like to see the same tancity for improvements with academic support. [/b][/quote]

I think that athletics and academics are completely different things. I don&#39;t think the money they are asking for in the athletic department is coming from the same people that donate to academic charitys. The biggest problem ISU is facing academicly, IMO, is undergrade enrollment and state budget cuts. The state budget is basicly the same as it was in 1998 while student undergrad enrollment has gone down by 5,000. Hence large tuition hikes and department cuts.

I don&#39;t think ponying up refers to students donating money...IMO it means alumni and fans each donating a small amount or maybe inviting friends to get season tickets with you...or just renew the tickets you have. Ponying up for a student might be going to the games and cheering for the team.

I just graduated have debt up the ying yang and don&#39;t have a job so don&#39;t get me started about them calling and asking for donations.