Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

ISU-OSU 02/14/09

Big game for the Cyclones this weekend as they try to move to 3-7 in the conference and 14-11 overall. A win against OSU this weekend would likely allow the Cyclones to move into a tie for 8th place and potentially only 1/2 game out of seventh place. However a loss likely cements a 9th place or worse finish.

OSU is a hybrid team and will present some challenges to the Iowa State defense. OSU has many similiarities to Nebraska as far as height but they don't defend half as well. This Oklahoma State team reminds me alot of the ISU team over Homan graduated. Alot of offensive talent but not a solid team when it comes to shot selection and not dedicated to the defensive side of the floor.

OSU has lost 6 of their last eight with the two wins being an OT win by two at Nebraska and a one point home win against Texas Tech.

I think ISU finally breaks the streak this weekend. This is a team that is just waiting to roll over and die and if ISU can be disciplined on the offensive end and make OSU work then they will be in this game to the very end. If ISU tries to get into a track meet and starts making reckless turnovers then the streak will continue.

Matchups:

Bryan Peterson vs. Bryon Eaton

Diante Garrett vs. Terell Harris

Lucca Staiger vs. James Anderson

Craig Brackins vs. Obi Munelo

Justin Hamilton vs. Marshal Moses

Difficult matchup for Petey and for Lucca. I expect that we will see alot of Sean Haluska and Boozer as a densive match-up against Anderson and see plenty JVB. One of the huge issues is Brackins or JVB being able to guard Munelo on the perimeter. This is a game that ISU should dominate on the boards and points in the paint. Additionally the Cowboys don't have alot of depth so getting the ball in the post and having DG penetrate will be paramount.

Prediction: ISU 74 Oklahoma State 69

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Re: ISU-OSU 02/14/09

Quote Originally Posted by rochclone View Post
    Big game for the Cyclones this weekend as they try to move to 3-7 in the conference and 14-11 overall. A win against OSU this weekend would likely allow the Cyclones to move into a tie for 8th place and potentially only 1/2 game out of seventh place. However a loss likely cements a 9th place or worse finish.

OSU is a hybrid team and will present some challenges to the Iowa State defense. OSU has many similiarities to Nebraska as far as height but they don't defend half as well. This Oklahoma State team reminds me alot of the ISU team over Homan graduated. Alot of offensive talent but not a solid team when it comes to shot selection and not dedicated to the defensive side of the floor.

OSU has lost 6 of their last eight with the two wins being an OT win by two at Nebraska and a one point home win against Texas Tech.

I think ISU finally breaks the streak this weekend. This is a team that is just waiting to roll over and die and if ISU can be disciplined on the offensive end and make OSU work then they will be in this game to the very end. If ISU tries to get into a track meet and starts making reckless turnovers then the streak will continue.

Matchups:

Bryan Peterson vs. Bryon Eaton

Diante Garrett vs. Terell Harris

Lucca Staiger vs. James Anderson

Craig Brackins vs. Obi Munelo

Justin Hamilton vs. Marshal Moses

Difficult matchup for Petey and for Lucca. I expect that we will see alot of Sean Haluska and Boozer as a densive match-up against Anderson and see plenty JVB. One of the huge issues is Brackins or JVB being able to guard Munelo on the perimeter. This is a game that ISU should dominate on the boards and points in the paint. Additionally the Cowboys don't have alot of depth so getting the ball in the post and having DG penetrate will be paramount.

Prediction: ISU 74 Oklahoma State 69
    Perimeter defense will be key, as OSU rains 3-pointers. The biggest defensive issue is Obi Muonelo, i think. He can stroke the three from outside, and can be a load for a guard to defend in the post area.

I don't think OSU has a good answer defensively for Craig. I look for a big, big game from him. I think ISU should pound the offensive boards more than they have in the past as well, as OSU hasn't looked to be a strong rebounding team this year.

I'd like to think ISU wins a close one, but i really don't think our perimeter defense has looked good in Big 12 play. OSU 65, ISU 58...

p.s. nice write-up. I'd really like to see more posts like this!

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

we could lose by 20 or win by 20. depends which team shows up to play

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

It will be tough, but winnable. The OSU games I have seen, they have scored tons. I think they will have to shoot somewhat poorly for us to have a chance. They just bomb 3's from all over the place. Fast break Dedric Willoughby style bombing 3's from about 3 or 4 of their players. We will have to be efficient on offesne for sure. I don't think we will see much of Ham, but will probably see a lot of JVB and maybe some 4 gaurd lineups as long as we are comfortable with them on the offensive end.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I just REALLY don't like the way we match up with them on the perimeter...if we can value the basketball, and control the tempo we have a shot, but that's easier said than done on the road against a team with far supierior athleticism...

Walk On
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 59

Yeah, not the type of team we are good at defending... Lucca and Peterson just aren't quick/explosive enough to hang with their penetrators... If they shoot well on kickouts from help on penetration we're in trouble. That said I think we hang close and have a 30% chance to pull one out. This game and KU are tough matchups but I think we win 2 (hopefully 3) of the last 5 which are a lot more winnable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Does Okie Lite press after made baskets to keep the tempo up?
    I gotta think we want to play a half court game while okie lite will want to run.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by akclone View Post
    Does Okie Lite press after made baskets to keep the tempo up?
    I gotta think we want to play a half court game while okie lite will want to run.
    Most of the time, yes...that's all Travis Ford wants to do is run, run, and run...sometimes they can get lacksidasical with their press though...if you watch the first 35 minutes of their game against Missouri, then watch the last five minutes, you would think you were watching two different teams.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Clone_12 View Post
    I just REALLY don't like the way we match up with them on the perimeter...if we can value the basketball, and control the tempo we have a shot, but that's easier said than done on the road against a team with far supierior athleticism...
    I feel the same way. I'm afraid about our guys getting broken down off the dribble and our big guys being forced to help. Our bigs struggle to help on D without fouling, especially against quick guards. In our two Big 12 wins we've shot 45% from three, we'll need to shoot that well again to have a chance in my opinion and that just isn't likely on the road.

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I feel the same way. I'm afraid about our guys getting broken down off the dribble and our big guys being forced to help. Our bigs struggle to help on D without fouling, especially against quick guards. In our two Big 12 wins we've shot 45% from three, we'll need to shoot that well again to have a chance in my opinion and that just isn't likely on the road.
    Brackins on Obi (if that is how the defense lines up) worries me. Obi can hit from about anywhere, and is probably quicker.

But conversely, OSU has to be crappin' bricks about Brackins. They really have no good low post defenders, and not a lot of size. I think they'll double up on Craig every time he gets the ball. Which to me means we got to keep Garrett on the opposite side of the floor, so his man isn't the one doubling down.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 102

I was 5 when ISU last won at OSU.

They are very athletic and strong. The type of team that gives us fits.

I have no reason to believe it will be even close, but Im really hoping that Im wrong

Walk On
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Remember:

We have never won at stillwater in the past 20year.

Not even when TF was coaching, not even when LE was coaching.

I am sure Gmac cannot do it