Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Grad School

I will be graduating in May and with this economy have decided to pursued Grad School. For basically everyone on this board who don't know me, I am a 5th year Senior at a small NAIA school here in Iowa. I have a tremendous passion for basketball, which I play for, I am looking to get into college coaching. I am looking to get my Master's in Sports Management. Does anyone know of schools who have Sports Management as a Master's program? Small or a large school is of no matter to me. Thank you to anyone in advance for your help. It is much appreciated.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

Re: Grad School

Check out most east coast schools. well not most, but quite a few have them and a few are great programs. which school is best is left to you enlist in some research time.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Sport Management Programs: United States | North American Society for Sport Management

This site lists all the graduate SM programs. Any school with an "A" or a "check" has a graduate program. I've been looking into grad school as well (due to the economy) in this area (wish ISU hadn't phased out their SM undergrad program though!) and everyone I've talked to in the field says that the "certification" that designates an "A" is basically worthless out in the SM-related work force. It's not like athletic training where you have to go to a certified, board-approved school to earn the title of Certified Athletic Trainer. It's nice but not necessary by any means.

Top schools, from those I've talked to, my own research, visits, etc.: Alphabetical Order, I **'d the ones I am most interested in--researched these for undergrad, been looking at them again for grad possibilities.

Florida State
    Indiana University
    Ithaca College (NY)
    Ohio University**
    Springfield College (MA)**
    Temple University
    UMass-Amherst**
    University of North Carolina**
    University of Oregon--almost entirely a Sports Marketing emphasis
    University of Texas
    West Virginia University

Some schools place more emphasis in different areas, some are more general and cover everything. Some focus on operations, some in administration, Ohio U even has a joint MBA/JD degree (great for going into sports agency), some focus on Marketing (Oregon). Some have great internship connections, some don't--most will list past students' internships and current jobs.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I think Illinois State has a quality program, though I think it runs heavily to the kinesiology part of sports management. I know that one of my students got a job working for the Chicago Bears organization when I worked there in 2005.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details