Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

My State of the MBB program Address

I have remained pretty quiet on this as of late. As most of you know, I am usually a pretty much glass-half-full kind of guy. So, here is my opinion of where we are, where we've been, and where we are going.

Many people are asking at this point, should Morgan have been let go in the first place? In my mind, the answer is still a 100% yes. The current state of the program does not justify in any means the incredible lack of discipline that we saw from Morgan.

That brings us to the McDermott hiring. Admittedly, I was less than impressed. However, after listening to Greg talk and understanding what a good man he is, I warmed up to the hire. His understanding of the game is unquestioned, informed persons have backed this up over and over since his days at UNI.

His first season left us all expecting great things in the future. He took a team with two returning players and a bunch of players he recruited in two weeks and wins 6 games in the Big 12. In that 2 weeks of recruiting he and his staff land NBA prospects Wesley Johnson and Mike Taylor, as well as future Bradley standout Dodie Dunson. With those three, plus Rahshon Clark, Jiri Hubalek, and freshman Craig Brackins many here feel like a NCAA tourney run in 07-08 is likely.

However, we then got a huge dose of Greg's biggest problem, player attrition. First Cory Mac. Not a huge loss. Then Dodie Dunson, a much bigger loss. Then the biggest loss, Mike Taylor. I don't think most of us here comprehended how big of a loss Taylor was. He is playing in the NBA now. Imagine what that talent could have done for ISU last year. And had Dunson stayed, he would undoubtedly be our best guard this season. So, we ended up replacing one of NBA talent Mike Taylor with Brian Peterson, and 6'2" 205 lb Dodie Dunson with 6'4" 160 lb freshman Diante Garrett. Its pretty easy to see that is a recipe for disaster, despite Garrett's potential. The team struggles in year 2, yet there remains hope with Wes Johnson coming back and a more developed Diante Garrett and Craig Brackins.

However, once again, attrition strikes. First, Cory Johnson. Not a huge loss, especially with Brackins. But, is there anyone here who doesn't think Cory would help this team? Then the bomb, Wesley Johnson leaves. Once again, ISU loses its best player. Once again, ISU has a huge hole (this time it's an athletic wing instead of a guard) that other teams blatantly exploit over and over again. If you look at most of our bad losses, they are all to teams with talent wing players that we haven't been able to control or counter. Again, ISU is in the Big 12 cellar.

It's hard not to wonder what could have been. What would 07-08 been like with Mike Taylor, Dodie Dunson, and a healthy Wes J (not to mention the Lucca fiasco)? What would this season be like with Diante Garrett and Dodie Dunson in the guard court with Wes J and Lucca on the wing? Imagine what a team of Garrett, Dunson, Lucca, Wes J, and Brackins could do. Woulda shoulda coulda.

Regardless, here we are, so where do we go? The bottom line is this, Greg isn't going anywhere until his contract is at least within one year of being up. So, until that time, the meltdown crowd is doing nothing but hurting the program. Recruits read these boards. It's time for some of the fans here to realize that there are times when if you don't have anything good to say, it's best not to say anything at all. These are those times, right now.

There is still promise in this program. There is still a future under Greg. Admittedly, in my mind, it does hinge on Brackins staying. IMO, I don't see Greg surviving losing his best player for the 4th year in a row. I can't envision a scenario where that works out.

That being said, lets proceed with the though that Craig does come back. Why? Because if he doesn't, we are going to be starting over again so none of this means anything. If he does, however, we'll be looking at a starting line-up like this for next season:

Garrett
    Lucca
    Gilstrap
    Brackins
    Hamilton

6th man - Colvin

Is there anyone here who doesn't get excited about that? I know I sure as heck do. Brackins will make the jump from all Big 12 to All American, and we will see more of OU Garrett and less of CU Garrett. Plus we add arguably the best JUCO in the country in 'Strap. Hamilton will continue his rapid development into an all conference type of center. A hopefully healthy Lucca moves to his natural position at the two, where he will be able to shoot over the top of opposing two guards. Colvin gives us a young athlete to build around for the future as well as helping us win now. I look for him to be the sixth man at the beginning of the season and to possibly push Garrett, Lucca, or even Ham to the bench. Throw in Christopherson, Buckley, Ike, Boozer and JVB and things look even brighter. Where do I think this team ends up? I really feel we will dance next season, I truly do.

I think for sure Craig will leave for the '10 draft. However, I think at that point, with guys like Colvin, Garrett, Buckley, Pomlee and Ham being developed and Big 12 ready, and guys like Dykstra, Kelm, Ejim, and Kadima we will be set for long term success in the future.

For me, the bottom line is this, there is no point to being against the current coaching staff, at least until there is a real option of a change. I still believe, however, that there is a good chance we won't get to that point, and that Greg will still in fact produce some of the best years we ever have seen at ISU.

Last edited by snowcraig2.0; 02-11-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: My State of the MBB program Address

all that time spent writing an essay that won't change a thing...

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 235
    Given: 902

Should we work on our bipartisanship? And how are we going to come out of this economic downturn?

+100. great post.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

That's way too much reading for the end of the work day.

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    The only answer to "who/what is GeronimusClone?" is in fact "GeronimousClone". You're like The Todd on Scrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    This is why you're my favorite

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    GC, he's obviously all man. And I don't think Ellen would go *****, even for GC...

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

You lost me at "I have......." Nice effort though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by GeronimusClone View Post
    That's way too much reading for the end of the work day.
    I actually read it because I'd rather do that than work (especially at the end of a work day).

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    Neither will calling current players losers.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Is there anyone here who doesn't get excited about that?
    I wouldn't say I'm that excited about that lineup next year. DG alright at the point, Lucca has looked lost the majority of his sophomore season and his production has come to a complete hault. I've never seen Gilstrap play at the Big 12 level, but I'm excited about what he can bring. There's no guarentee Brackins is here next year, but if he is I'll be very happy. Hamilton at the center spot is very average.

Now, for the first time in McDermott's tenure, we should have a legit Big 12 bench. For that, I'm excited. Boozer, Pomlee, Colvin, and maybe someone else like Buckley can step up. Now, if we continue to have guys leave the program in the offseason for whatever reason, then all bets are off. That being said, the Big 12 is down this year and will be significantly improved next year. We won't be the only team improving. Will a guy like Gilstrap be enough to get us back to where we need to be? Time will tell. My excitement for next year has tempered a bit as this year has played out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Not to be a dick but neither will any of the time or things any of us write on this site. So under that logic this site probably shouln't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post

When all is said and done, more is said than done

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good post! I've been a naysayer lately, so I've quit complaining. What's the point at this point I guess.

We're likely to finish last in the Big XII this season and I think it's going to take a miracle to finish in the middle of the pack next year. We just don't have the talent or size. In Mac's last year or two at UNI they got their own strength coach for basketball and you could tell immediately. I think we need this, I'm sure Moser is doing good, but it seems like he has his plate full with all the athletes he's in charge of at ISU.

My greatest fear is the problem is Mac's system, but I hate even thinking about that.

It's going to be long road imho, but I'm not in favor of a coaching change at this time.

Boy do we need a win tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    Good post! I've been a naysayer lately, so I've quit complaining. What's the point at this point I guess.

We're likely to finish last in the Big XII this season and I think it's going to take a miracle to finish in the middle of the pack next year. We just don't have the talent or size. In Mac's last year or two at UNI they got their own strength coach for basketball and you could tell immediately. I think we need this, I'm sure Moser is doing good, but it seems like he has his plate full with all the athletes he's in charge of at ISU.

My greatest fear is the problem is Mac's system, but I hate even thinking about that.

It's going to be long road imho, but I'm not in favor of a coaching change at this time.

Boy do we need a win tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great post.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyco2000 View Post
    Great post.
    Agreed

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's time for some of the fans here to realize that there are times when if you don't have anything good to say, it's best not to say anything at all. These are those times, right now.
    So we can all just sit around and kid ourselves about how great our basketball program is? Truth be told, the vast majority of the negatives discussed on this board are legitimate issues. For every poster who says McDermott should be fired now, there is another on the opposite extreme who says they would give him four or five years to start winning (which is about as ridiculous).

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I wanted to read the whole thing, but why bother? Who reads an essay from some guy who doesn't pay the bills?

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PJZ View Post
    So we can all just sit around and kid ourselves about how great our basketball program is? Truth be told, the vast majority of the negatives discussed on this board are legitimate issues. For every poster who says McDermott should be fired now, there is another on the opposite extreme who says they would give him four or five years to start winning (which is about as ridiculous).
    I have no problems with negatives being discussed.

I have a problem with people calling current players 'Haloser' and threads titled 'Can we please fire Greg McDermott now'. Those are the kinds of things that make a recruit reading these boards not want to be a part of ISU.