Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

Props to Diante

From the release on the CU Game:

- Diante Garrett, who ranks third in the Big 12 and 28th nationally in assists (5.6), needs 10 dimes to crack ISUís career top-20 in assists...he currently has 220 career assists.
    - Garrett tied his career high in assists vs. Missouri with 11, recording his fourth double-digit assist effort of the season and his second double-double in his last three games.
    - Diante Garrett posted his second double-double in his last three games with 13 points and 11 assists...Garrett, who has four double-digit assist games this season, is averaging 9.0 assists in his last three games.

Diante is definitely not the problem with this team and I really look forward to watching him for the next two years. He'll easily be top 5 in assists all time in ISU history by the time he's done at this rate.

He is also on pace for one of the top 10 A/TO ratio seasons in ISU history. Good job Diante!

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Re: Props to Diante

Not bad for a pg that is "not big 12 caliber".

Let's let the Fresh/Sophs become jrs/srs and try to minimize the freak outs in between.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,332
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 37

I wonder how high his ceiling is. He made nice improvement from his freshman year.

ďScience investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.Ē

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The DG/CB combo could be pretty special next year...

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    From the release on the CU Game:

- Diante Garrett, who ranks third in the Big 12 and 28th nationally in assists (5.6), needs 10 dimes to crack ISUís career top-20 in assists...he currently has 220 career assists.
    - Garrett tied his career high in assists vs. Missouri with 11, recording his fourth double-digit assist effort of the season and his second double-double in his last three games.
    - Diante Garrett posted his second double-double in his last three games with 13 points and 11 assists...Garrett, who has four double-digit assist games this season, is averaging 9.0 assists in his last three games.

Diante is definitely not the problem with this team and I really look forward to watching him for the next two years. He'll easily be top 5 in assists all time in ISU history by the time he's done at this rate.

He is also on pace for one of the top 10 A/TO ratio seasons in ISU history. Good job Diante!
    I don't think any have really questioned his ball handling and passing ability. When he had a couple game slide, I knew he'd get out of it.

Unless you have a couple guys who can score off the dribble, you need a PG that can score. DG can't score. He needs to hit the weights and go in the paint with confidence. He looks too much to pass.

He isn't respected by the other team either. He often gets open looks and then misses. This allows the other team to put more pressure of Craig and Lucca.

We need a PG that can make the other team pay for backing off of him, much like most good PGs.

Diante is a more of a traditional point guard in that he isn't a legit scoring threat night in and night out, he just distributes the ball. He definitley isn't hurting the team or making them worse, but if he could score, he'd make them much better as it'd create opportunities on the perimeter for our other guys and free up Brackins as well...

The big thing about a point guard is "does he make the guys on his team better?". If the answer is "yes" then he's good. If it's "no" then he's mediocre at best. While Diante is decent, and our best option at this point, I don't feel like he's making those around him better. He has a lot of potential and I hope he can continue to grow over the next 2 years....

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 26

Diante's critics have hammered on his points and FG%, and apparently overlooked other important ways that Diante helps his teammates.

Way to go Diante! Now waiting to hear from the haters...

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 129

Having the #2 scorer in the Big XII, the #3 rebounder, and the #3 assist man, gets you 11th in the Big XII.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I don't think any have really questioned his ball handling and passing ability. When he had a couple game slide, I knew he'd get out of it.

Unless you have a couple guys who can score off the dribble, you need a PG that can score. DG can't score. He needs to hit the weights and go in the paint with confidence. He looks too much to pass.

He isn't respected by the other team either. He often gets open looks and then misses. This allows the other team to put more pressure of Craig and Lucca.

We need a PG that can make the other team pay for backing off of him, much like most good PGs.

Diante is a more of a traditional point guard in that he isn't a legit scoring threat night in and night out, he just distributes the ball. He definitley isn't hurting the team or making them worse, but if he could score, he'd make them much better as it'd create opportunities on the perimeter for our other guys and free up Brackins as well...

The big thing about a point guard is "does he make the guys on his team better?". If the answer is "yes" then he's good. If it's "no" then he's mediocre at best. While Diante is decent, and our best option at this point, I don't feel like he's making those around him better. He has a lot of potential and I hope he can continue to grow over the next 2 years....
    I can understand your argument, however I think he's playing a bigger role than the staff expected him to in his recruitment. I think DG is better suited to set up players around him and he is a little too easy to defend.

In the past it seemed McD PG's that set everybody else up and don't look for their own shot. Maybe he's doing what he's doing for a reason.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    Having the #2 scorer in the Big XII, the #3 rebounder, and the #3 assist man, gets you 11th in the Big XII.
    I know, this thread makes me even more depressed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    That's our three season highlights too

Think about what DG could do with a full cast of people around him...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 981
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

The reason we are 11th is because those 3 guys are doing their work but the other 2 are play jacks in the corner. basically we are playing 3 on 5 that is why we lose.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 317

He plays average and we probably would have beaten CU. He needs to get stronger and improve his shot and he'll be special.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

CAn't be...everything that I have read makes me to believe that the big 12 is counting turnovers as assists. Everyone that I have talked to tells me that he is a terrible guard and he is the reason that we are losing.

But seriously, I am proud of him. Lets hope we can have more than a 2 man show next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    He plays average and we probably would have beaten CU. He needs to get stronger and improve his shot and he'll be special.
    True that. DG will be very special once he puts on some muscle. Could possibly be the top PG in the big 12 his sr year if he keeps improving at this pace

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." Ü

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 24

I think the whole strength issue is overrated for DG. Sure, adding strength would improve his game but if he starts knocking down those wide open looks he gets his game changes immediatly. DG can drive on defenders but when they play him back and give him the 3 it takes away the dribble drive a little.