Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 14,206, Level: 36
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    700
    Points
    14,206
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    What are your thoughts on this award(in high school)? What do you think the criteria for the award should be?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    I'm for it!


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,752, Level: 93
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    90,752
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    I think we should check with Obama. Is it really fair to let just 2 people get the award? What about the rest of the kids who went to school? What award are they gonna get? Spread the wealth around.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    I think we should check with Obama. Is it really fair to let just 2 people get the award? What about the rest of the kids who went to school? What award are they gonna get? Spread the wealth around.
    This post lacks funny.


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,752, Level: 93
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    90,752
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    This post lacks funny.

    Sorry, I'm awaiting my redistribution of humor from those who have more....


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 158,327, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,888
    Points
    158,327
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    Sorry, I'm awaiting my redistribution of humor from those who have more....

    away to the cave you!!


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,752, Level: 93
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    90,752
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    away to the cave you!!
    Sorry. It's probably residual anger left over from not being winning either of those honors in high school. And from always getting picked last in dodge ball.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 81,388, Level: 88
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Posts
    8,423
    Points
    81,388
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    It's probably residual anger left over from not being winning either of those honors in high school.
    Color me shocked!


    It's Bushbama!

    2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

    Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 431,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,792
    Points
    431,766
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 15

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    I know in my high school, we had levels when it came to classes. Some started with algebra early, some as freshman, and some did pre-algebra as freshman. Some started with a basic science class, some biology, and some chemistry depending on how they place you. I was in the higher classes as well as the co-valedictorians, and ended up #3 in my class. #4-#7 were students who took all easy classes in high school, and #8-#10 were students who took the harder classes with us. I had a problem with #4-#7 getting better scholarship opportunities based solely on rank in the class and not having anything to do with where they were truly at academically. The 4-7 students were good students, but they wouldn't have had 3.9+ with a more difficult schedule like 8-10 did. 8-10 were head and shoulders better students, but essentially got punished for taking more difficult classes.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 90,752, Level: 93
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    4,149
    Points
    90,752
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    Color me shocked!

    that hurts a little bit.


    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

    Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

    Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 34,145, Level: 56
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,822
    Points
    34,145
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 35

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    I know in my high school, we had levels when it came to classes. Some started with algebra early, some as freshman, and some did pre-algebra as freshman. Some started with a basic science class, some biology, and some chemistry depending on how they place you. I was in the higher classes as well as the co-valedictorians, and ended up #3 in my class. #4-#7 were students who took all easy classes in high school, and #8-#10 were students who took the harder classes with us. I had a problem with #4-#7 getting better scholarship opportunities based solely on rank in the class and not having anything to do with where they were truly at academically. The 4-7 students were good students, but they wouldn't have had 3.9+ with a more difficult schedule like 8-10 did. 8-10 were head and shoulders better students, but essentially got punished for taking more difficult classes.
    Agreed. Personally I think that the award itself doesn't do anything but recognize the fact that the student that won it worked their butt off. In my high school class there were 2 co-valedictorians. One of them took every college level class and AP course available while the other took 2-3 study halls a semester and didn't take a single AP course. While I don't know if the courses should have weight to them, (I don't want to punish some kid who took 1 less ap course then another) I do think that there should be a minimum amount of advanced courses that would be required in order to be elgible for the to 5-10% of class rankings.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 29,369, Level: 52
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cychhosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. Iowa
    Posts
    1,197
    Points
    29,369
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 44

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    Agreed. Personally I think that the award itself doesn't do anything but recognize the fact that the student that won it worked their butt off. In my high school class there were 2 co-valedictorians. One of them took every college level class and AP course available while the other took 2-3 study halls a semester and didn't take a single AP course. While I don't know if the courses should have weight to them, (I don't want to punish some kid who took 1 less ap course then another) I do think that there should be a minimum amount of advanced courses that would be required in order to be elgible for the to 5-10% of class rankings.
    Maybe some of the AP students should have to take vocational classes like welding. Let's dangle their GPA on hand-eye coordination. What comes easy for one, may not come easy for another.


    All truisms are false. All of them.

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 158,327, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,888
    Points
    158,327
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    Sorry. It's probably residual anger left over from not being winning either of those honors in high school. And from always getting picked last in dodge ball.

    I was voted 'best hair'


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    Agreed. Personally I think that the award itself doesn't do anything but recognize the fact that the student that won it worked their butt off. In my high school class there were 2 co-valedictorians. One of them took every college level class and AP course available while the other took 2-3 study halls a semester and didn't take a single AP course. While I don't know if the courses should have weight to them, (I don't want to punish some kid who took 1 less ap course then another) I do think that there should be a minimum amount of advanced courses that would be required in order to be elgible for the to 5-10% of class rankings.
    As one that was a valedictorian with a son that will likely be a salutatorian this spring, I believe that a weighted GPA should be used...giving more weight to the more rigorous courses (AP and Honors courses).

    Having said that, those that challenged themselves the most in their classwork are likely to be the ones that do the best in college and ultimately in their careers.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 30,248, Level: 53
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    tzjung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    921
    Points
    30,248
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 85

    Re: Valedictorian/Salutatorian

    I was Salutatorian in HS. I recieved one A- in my HS career by my Freshman english teacher that ended up costing me Co-Valedictorian....I'm not bitter or anything though! .

    What angers me are all these schools which give out A+'s to those who take AP classes and do well. I'm calling Shenanigans on that bullsh*t. You can NOT get over a 4.0, I'm sorry, its impossible. A+'s shouldn't exist and cause your GPA to look better than it actually is.

    Especially if you are applying to different Colleges and are being compared to other studens by class Rank and GPA. A student shouldn't be punished because their school doesn't give out A+'s when they get an 'A' in a college course. Also..I had 11 Credits of 4.0 from UNI (Including Humanities 1 &2 which are hard as ***** as those who went to UNI can tell you) when I graduated HS, so I took a rigorous schedule.


    Last edited by tzjung; 02-11-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM