Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 78
  1. #31
    Speechless
    Points: 333,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,631
    Points
    333,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Should have worked a little outside in the 50 degree weather, it was nice to think about spring today. The game didn't seem that bad after enjoying the day to day.
    I was outside quite a bit today working, but thanks for playing!

    Why ruin such a great day with another loss?



  2. #32
    All-Star
    Points: 18,595, Level: 41
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    BCforISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,121
    Points
    18,595
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    The next person who compares Orr to McDermott should be banned IMO. Talk about two COMPLETELY different situations each respective coach walked into.

    Why don't we look at how the current coaches at: Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, K-State, Baylor, Oklahoma, etc are doing early in their careers instead? Oh wait....
    Minnesota- early in career? sorry, just don't see where Tuby comes into play...None of these teams lost the entire team when they took over either.



  3. #33
    All-Star
    Points: 18,595, Level: 41
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    BCforISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,121
    Points
    18,595
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I was outside quite a bit today working, but thanks for playing!

    Why ruin such a great day with another loss?
    I hear you, always sucks to lose, just trying to take the edge off I guess.



  4. #34
    All-Star
    Points: 20,346, Level: 43
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    20,346
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Minnesota- early in career? sorry, just don't see where Tuby comes into play...None of these teams lost the entire team when they took over either.
    Scott Drew took over a program for a coach that was implicated in trying to cover up or obstruct a murder investigation. His team made the NCAA Tournament last year. Hard for anyone to top that in terms of overcoming adversity. Kelvin Sampson left OU a shambles, Capel has them ranked #2 in the country. It can be done.


    URBCLONE

  5. #35
    Addict
    Points: 83,561, Level: 89
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,049
    Points
    83,561
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 149

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    It can be done.
    Hey, it could happen.



    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  6. #36
    All-Star
    Points: 18,595, Level: 41
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    BCforISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,121
    Points
    18,595
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Scott Drew took over a player program for a coach that was implicated in a murder investigation. His team made the NCAA Tournament last year. Hard for anyone to top that in terms of overcoming adversity. Kelvin Sampson left OU a shambles, Capel has them ranked #2 in the country. It can be done.
    I agree it can be done, Capel has a few more things going for him than McD, Duke alum, great coaching genes, and Oklahoma has had a pretty deep tradition for many years, plus, was the oldest Griffin brother already on the team when Capel took the job? Forgot about the Baylor situation, he has done an incredible job. Just takes some people longer I guess.



  7. #37
    Addict
    Points: 50,815, Level: 69
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,537
    Points
    50,815
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 42

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Minnesota- early in career? sorry, just don't see where Tuby comes into play...None of these teams lost the entire team when they took over either.
    Greg is in his 3rd year, not first. Why is it that 3/4 of the current roster is filled with guys not capable of playing at the Big 12 level? How many years should we give him to recruit capable players? We've nosedived from his first year to now. It's entirely possible we will go 2-14 in the Big 12. In his third year. Capel didn't walk into a great situation at Oklahoma, Mike Anderson sure didn't at Missouri, Drew walked into a disaster at Baylor, K-State has been down for several years and has a high school coach getting it done without Beasley & Walker. Nebraska has zero tradition, no NCAA wins, etc. I don't think Sadler walked into a great situation in Lincoln. These guys all turned around their programs right under our noses. Let's not make our situation seem worse than it really was. There is NO excuse to be as bad as we are today.

    And we're the ones who "don't get it." Right....



  8. #38
    Speechless
    Points: 185,635, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,955
    Points
    185,635
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post

    Why don't we look at how the current coaches at: Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, K-State, Baylor, Oklahoma, etc are doing early in their careers instead? Oh wait....
    Minnesota-Tubby Smith
    Nebraska- Did we beat them?
    Missouri- Yes they are having a nice season
    K-State- Table set by Huggins but yes whats is face has done a nice job, has he cleand up is ways, time will tell
    Baylor-Scott Drew is in his 6th season there and it isnt all good going
    Oklahoma-That was a good program when Sampson left.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  9. #39
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 298,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,648
    Points
    298,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 341

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    As for TF and LE. In his FIRST year on the job TF took a team from 14-13 to 23 wins and the second round of the NCAA tournament. He followed that up by losing 95% of his scoring and going on to win the final Big 8 tournament title and advancing again to the second round of the NCAA tournament. LE's second and third seasons resulted in Conference championships.

    There is no comparison.
    Just for the record, the main reason he took them from 14 wins to 23 is because Loren Meyer was there for his whole senior season. In the 14 win year he got into an accident with a train and was out for the season. We were like 10-2 when the accident happened.



  10. #40
    Speechless
    Points: 185,635, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,955
    Points
    185,635
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Just for the record, the main reason he took them from 14 wins to 23 is because Loren Meyer was there for his whole senior season. In the 14 win year he got into an accident with a train and was out for the season. We were like 10-2 when the accident happened.
    So one player can get you 10 wins?


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  11. #41
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 298,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,648
    Points
    298,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 341

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    So one player can get you 10 wins?
    Yeah, when your starting center who was one of the leading scorers on the team and an NBA first round pick goes down, it could affect the # of wins.



  12. #42
    All-Star
    Points: 18,595, Level: 41
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    BCforISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,121
    Points
    18,595
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Greg is in his 3rd year, not first. Why is it that 3/4 of the current roster is filled with guys not capable of playing at the Big 12 level? How many years should we give him to recruit capable players? We've nosedived from his first year to now. It's entirely possible we will go 2-14 in the Big 12. In his third year. Capel didn't walk into a great situation at Oklahoma, Mike Anderson sure didn't at Missouri, Drew walked into a disaster at Baylor, K-State has been down for several years and has a high school coach getting it done without Beasley & Walker. Nebraska has zero tradition, no NCAA wins, etc. I don't think Sadler walked into a great situation in Lincoln. These guys all turned around their programs right under our noses. Let's not make our situation seem worse than it really was. There is NO excuse to be as bad as we are today.

    And we're the ones who "don't get it." Right....
    Not trying to get personal, I wasn't trying to put anyone down.



  13. #43
    All-Star
    Points: 20,346, Level: 43
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    20,346
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Just for the record, the main reason he took them from 14 wins to 23 is because Loren Meyer was there for his whole senior season. In the 14 win year he got into an accident with a train and was out for the season. We were like 10-2 when the accident happened.
    I remember the history. I went to class with Meyer's backup - Marc Harris (I think)???? Anyway, I disagree with you in that I think it was Floyd who turned Meyer into a NBA first rounder. Also, Floyd's second season was even more impressive than his first. He took a bunch of jc guys and turned them into a tough as nails bunch that won the final Big 8 Tournament. Outside of the Fizer/Tinsley/Horton/Nurse/Johnson team, that '95-'97 crew was the greatest ISU team of the modern era. Tough, gritty, a joy to watch.


    URBCLONE

  14. #44
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 298,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,648
    Points
    298,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 341

    Re: Don't people get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    I remember the history. I went to class with Meyer's backup - Marc Harris (I think)???? Anyway, I disagree with you in that I think it was Floyd who turned Meyer into a NBA first rounder. Also, Floyd's second season was even more impressive than his first. He took a bunch of jc guys and turned them into a tough as nails bunch that won the final Big 8 Tournament. Outside of the Fizer/Tinsley/Horton/Nurse/Johnson team, that '95-'97 crew was the greatest ISU team of the modern era. Tough, gritty, a joy to watch.
    Wasn't knocking Floyd. I liked his teams, but that 14-13 team would have had at least 4-5 more wins. I loved Floyd's teams. I wouldn't have minded if he stayed on as our coach.

    Here are Meyer's stats: http://www.basketballreference.com/p...lkid=MEYERLO01

    He was really lighting it up when the accident happened.


    Last edited by LindenCy; 02-08-2009 at 12:37 AM.

  15. #45
    Speechless
    Points: 381,046, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    55,583
    Points
    381,046
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

    Re: Don't people get it?

    What happens if we only win three conference wns next year?????

    Can the current players improve enough to beat Missouri at Hilton next year?


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM