Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hercle Ivey

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hercle Ivey

I was wondering if any you folks who were able to watch him play could tell me what he was like as a player. I know him but that is not because of basketball but through his work at a st louis community center.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 12

Re: Hercle Ivey

I watched him play in the early 70's I believe. The teams weren't too good so all we really had to cheer about was Hercle and the numbers he could put up. He could drain shots from 25 plus feet and is another player that would have had unbelievable numbers had there been a 3 point line.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    I watched him play in the early 70's I believe. The teams weren't too good so all we really had to cheer about was Hercle and the numbers he could put up. He could drain shots from 25 plus feet and is another player that would have had unbelievable numbers had there been a 3 point line.
    so he is like todays Craig Brackins

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 971
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 12

Lol. Pretty true, except Brackins is about 6 inches taller as I think Hercle was in the 6-4 range. Both of them could put on a show. Glad to hear Hercle is doing good work in the St. Louis area.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

This name brings back memories of my college days as an older student.
    Hercle "poison" ivey was ISU's main scoring machine, in the70's. There was never a shot that he wouldn't take, even when he shouldn't have taken them. He was a three point shooter before there was a line for three pointers.
    Mant a game he would save the win on his shooting.
    I never heard anything bad about him as a student, and never saw him on campus.
    The following is a taken from Cyclone .com on Feb.15, 2008 when he was back, as a member of the all century team.
    Hercle Ivy, a member of ISU’s All-Century team who will be honored at halftime tomorrow, was in town touching base with his former teammates. Ivy was a first-team all-Big Eight selection in 1975 and still holds ISU’s single-season scoring record, averaging 28.3 points per game in the 1974-75 season.
    “It is honor to be a part of the All-Century team,” Ivy said. “I enjoyed my time here at Iowa State and I appreciate what people thought I did for the school. I prided myself on being able to shoot the jumpshot and I thought I could shoot it from any part of the floor. The further people came out and guarded me, the further I went back.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Ivy had an off-balanced fade away jump shot from long distance that was fun to watch. He broke the ISU records at that time for scoring points per game, points per season, and points in a career by the end of his senior year. He really was something special. In case you don't know, his nickname was "Poison" Ivy.

Walk On
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbait87 View Post
    I was wondering if any you folks who were able to watch him play could tell me what he was like as a player. I know him but that is not because of basketball but through his work at a st louis community center.
    This guy was as pure a shooter as I have ever seen. He was recruited by Maury John. Then, John contracted cancer and stepped down. His successor was Ken Trickey and he was not a good fit for a whole lot of reasons. His last team went 3-24. However, he did have some really good players -- Ivey among them. Others, Andrew Parker and Art Johnson. I see Ivey came back to a reunion last year and he looked great and is doing well. One helluva basketball player.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Hercle was a special player ('71-75), and (did a little research) I think it said he had the best single season scoring ave. in '75 at +28 ppg. 8th all-time Cyclone scorer over 4 years.

As I remember, he had a VERY flat-arc of a shot, shot started from behind his head (?). But they usually went in from LONG range. Wonder what he would have averaged if they had the 3 pt. line back then?

He was also drafted into the NBA (4th round)(Houston or San Antonio), but I don't know if he ever played, played long (I don't think so), or what really happend w/ him after ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 783
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 104

First of all, Hilton in those days (1975) was a morgue - I mean literally there would be 5,000 people show up; only the lower section would be (partially) filled; and Iowa wouldn't play us.

Herc "Poision" Ivy as previously mentioned was kool and fun to watch. His stroke was great and one of the best scorers ever (Willoughby would be one reminder). There was no defense in those days and the scores were pretty high as well as the player scoring average. Ivy had a huge Afro in those days knee-high Tube Socks. Red Converse shoes is also what I remember.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I'm glad H I is doing good things now... he was a great shooter... played no defense and was kind of a ball hog... other than that he was ok...

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Hercle is my second all time favorite basketball player behind Zaid Abdul-Aziz. I suppose the stars when you are young always remain your favorites, at least for me anyway.
    I remember the previously mentioned Art Johnson from that team because he was from Indianapolis where my mothers family was and I think he was a juco.
    Hercle's afro was kind of different because it was taller on top and not as long on the sides. Kind of a Brackins haircut on steriods.

They used to practice in State Gym and it was pretty much open practice because I used to go in there and watch them quite often. The main double doors to the gym would be closed if they didn't want you in there but they were left open a lot. Anyway, when they were practicing plays you would hear Ken Trickey holler "Get the ball to Hercle!!" about every 10 seconds. So, I guess our main objective was to get the ball to Hercle!

I have to say this about Hercle. I always loved the guy but I had never spoken to him till I had the chance at the reunion last year. And this will sound silly but, even though I'm in my mid 50's, I felt like a ten year old when I got to meet him.

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p928725649

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 58

Think shorter, thicker, but just as deadly Barry Stevens.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Walked on my freshman year at Iowa State...Ivy was a player who would help todays team. Nice shot, very smooth on the court. Just not much to go along. Our big guys were slow, and did not have much quickness in general on the team. With Maury John in his decline and not able to do the job, Ken Tricky unable to recuit, the program was a mess.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

i have seen him play a little and thing that got me was he could walk onto a court pickup the ball and just shoot from anywhere and drain it. By the way Mr. Ivey is a great guy he taught me a lot about life its cool to get the perspective of people who saw him when he was younger. Good luck with your season i really hope your program can get back to where it used to be as long as you finish one spot behind my tigers.

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Lived on the dorm floor above Hercle. The smell of reefer was pretty common in the room above his. It was the 70's and it was pretty much true of almost all of the team (remember, they were 3-24) and most of the students. He was a pretty laid back guy, kind of quiet, didn't cause any trouble. Picked him up one day when his car broke down and he was very nice. His jump shot was beautiful, second only to Barry Stevens. The game was much slower back then so a nice jump shot would take you a long ways. As long as we're discussing the 3-24 season, a couple of the players were on our floor and were drinking beer with us on Friday afternoon after class at the Maintenance Shop and had a 7PM game that night. Ol' Ken Trickey rode herd on them pretty tough. I doubt if he had that problem at Oral Roberts.